DennisLinkletter

Careful.. Dome 900º ~ Lower grill 1452º!!

On 3/19/2015 at 5:13 AM, DennisLinkletter said:

The hot face service temp is 2,200ºf but the material is considered a consumable at those temps. Blast furnaces need regular maintenance and filling with the refractory patch at those working temps.  

Your KK grill is designed to last a lifetime at "food cooking temps"  not to be used as a kiln.   

The smoke point of lard is only 370ºf   So high temps where you create enough heat to make your grill expand is really unnecessary... There is no escaping physics.. the grill does and will expand when taken to high temps.. This can be confirmed by the small crazing on the smooth grout finish on your grill's lips.  High temp blasting your grill from black to grey will be detrimental to it's long life and is not necessary.  The inside of a grill/smoker should be black.. it's not dirty.  

Regularly taking your KK to 900ºf dome / 1452ºf  lower to clean your grates is a good way to damage your grill..

Please do not do it..

Thanks, Dennis!  I always learn something from you.  

On 3/15/2015 at 7:07 AM, DennisLinkletter said:

The refractory hot face material's service temp is 2,200ºf   That being said, the hotter you get the more crazing you will get because there is just no escaping physics.. I don't suggest taking the grill over 750º dome.. There is just no reason to do this.. no cooking technique requires this.

An old post but nepolitan pizza requires 430-480c which is 800-900f.  This is 60-90 second pizza cooks.  This is really the only technique that requires the temps.  

Yes, pizza can be cooked at lower temps but it does come out different.  

For cleaning though I imagine around 750f for an extended period of a few hours would remove most of the carbon.  It does on my green egg or KJ.  I don’t have a KK yet to confirm but will at some point.  

so when using the splitter basket your only filling one half would that work for steaks at a high temp for short period of time?

I have been using FOGO lump and it seems to burn out very quickly.  I think I prefer the coconut extruded.  It seems to last longer and gets plenty hot.  For Christmas I did three ten pound prime ribs at 275 for almost 4 hours, then took them off and wrapped in foil, towels and put them in a cooler because they were getting don too quickly.  I then turned the grill down for and hour and then attempted to cranked it up to 550 for a sear.  The fogo had pretty much grunt out.  Had to refill it.

13 hours ago, mstang1988 said:

An old post but Neapolitan pizza requires 430-480c which is 800-900f.  This is 60-90 second pizza cooks.  This is really the only technique that requires the temps.  

Yes, pizza can be cooked at lower temps but it does come out different.  

For cleaning though I imagine around 750f for an extended period of a few hours would remove most of the carbon.  It does on my green egg or KJ.  I don’t have a KK yet to confirm but will at some point.  

I suggest you explore using a Baking Steel for your Neapolitan pizzas.. you will get the leoparding on your crust at half the grill temp.. the steel will transfer to your dough the same temp as a porous baking stone at 800-900f and much more safely..
https://modernistcuisine.com/shop/baking-steel/

• Like 1