Loquitur

Kerridge Proper Pub Food TV Cooking Show

Is anybody else watching this cooking show - Tom Kerridge's Proper Pub Food? A very interesting and likeable fellow with a show geared toward cooking at home. He describes himself as "not a salad kind of guy" and says he runs the only pub in Great Britain that has been awarded two Michelin stars. On the show I saw last night he did a center portion of beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and Yorkshire pudding and I must say the finished product looked spectacular!! He marinated the beef in molasses overnight, seared it in a pan in oil and and then butter and then put it in an oven at 55C which is 130F for 45 min commenting that you could leave it in the oven for much longer if necessary since it would never overcook - like the sous vide concept. Also he had some awesome tips for the roasted potatoes and Yorkshire puddings. I can't wait to try them. 

Tony: It's on the Cooking Channel but its a BBC production so its way different in tone and look than the typical shows produced by Food Network and its affiliates. I stumbled on it checking out the schedules for the new fall TV season and set up a Season Pass thinking I could always use some new ideas for wings, shepherd's pie, fish and chips, etc., which I'm very fond of. It was nothing like I expected but I was blown away!!! If you are using a DVR be sure to set it for New and Repeats. These episodes are new in the US but they may show up as repeats since they first aired in Britain last year.                    Susan

Tom Kerridge did two classic pub snacks in the last episode which were pork scatchings and pickled quail eggs with curry sauce. He referred to it as  "brilliant beer food" so this is for Tony, bgrant and our other home brewers. I couldn’t find the recipes online but this is how he did it.

Pork Scratchings – Took a skin from a pork belly out from the fridge so I presume it was air drying in there. Cut into one inch squares, place in bowl, salt liberally, sprinkle with white wine vinegar and toss. He said the vinegar makes the skin tight and the salt draws out the moisture. Place the squares on a rack over a pan in a single layer. Bake in a hot oven 30 min. They looked beautiful when they came out of the oven – brown and super crispy but not at all like the puffy pork rinds you can buy at a 7/11. It was funny that he reached over and popped one in his mouth, seemingly unconsciously, while he was making the pickled quail eggs.

Pickled Quail Eggs w Curry Sauce – pickle mix was water, sugar, vinegar, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick and star anise. He was looking for the quail eggs to be soft boiled so he only boiled them for 2 min and submerged them in ice water.  Peel eggs and soak in pickle mix two hours. For the curry sauce, in a saucepan heat curry powder in oil (looked about 2 or 3 T),  add tomato puree (looked like tomato paste to me about 1-2 T), big pile of chopped red onions, big pile of chopped white onions and two chopped tomatoes. Cover and simmer 30 min. Puree in blender and pass thru a sieve (he commented that he knew the sieve was “cheffy†but that he liked it smooth). Add chopped chives and toasted onion seeds (?), pour into a squeeze bottle and drizzle over the eggs. The curry sauce was a pink color and looked delightful on the tiny eggs.  

Looked to me like this could all be done in advance except for the actual baking of the skins.  

Was thinking about doing the pickled quail eggs with curry sauce to bring to my sister's house this weekend so I went online to check it out further. Turns out there are some tricks to boiling quail eggs because the yolks are  large in proportion to the whites and this wasn't mentioned in the show. So check it out if you want to do this recipe so your boiled eggs remain intact.