CeramicChef

Sometimes Simple IS Best!

Wilbur's post of his Portobello Burgers reminded that I didn't post a recent burger feed that I did.  While mine is nowhere as impressive as his, it still was pretty dadgummed good.  This took place a few Saturday's ago while watching American College Football.  So here is that burger cook ...

I'm not wanting to do a grand cook just for my fat rat backside, so I decided Simple Is Best.  Just a couple of grilled hamburgers on The Beast will do just fine!

I found a new brand of Miller named "FORTUNE" and decided to give it a try for hydration purposes.

post-1637-0-94688200-1414268876_thumb.jp

The bottle is black and could be hard to see against The Beast, but it's a pretty good tasting beer.  I prefer Miller Lite, but this is a good start.

Here is the total extent of the seasonings I'll be using on this cook ... salt, pepper, and essentially garlic.  Sometimes Simple Is Best.

post-1637-0-79731500-1414269031_thumb.jp

Finally, here are the hamburger steaks resting until The Beast is heat soaked and ready for the cook.

post-1637-0-01378700-1414269105_thumb.jp

I love a plain old every day ordinary classic hamburger.  Mustard, dill pickle, a thin slice of onion, and some good cheddar cheese.  Wait, I guess that cheese makes it a cheese burger!

Ok KKers, here's the rest of Simple Is Best, but with an undocumented but true twist!

So The Beast gets up to temp and on the burgers go!

post-1637-0-84623900-1414277018_thumb.jp

Here's another view to show you how small half-pound burgers look on The Beast ...

post-1637-0-82246700-1414277138_thumb.jp

Things are doing well.  Run inside to get the fixin's ready ...

post-1637-0-85145600-1414277173_thumb.jp

As I said, simple is best and this is one very prosaic cook.  It doesn't get any simpler or prosaic than French's Yellow Mustard.  I grew up on it and I love it!

Time to flip the burgers.  I'm wearing my welder's gauntlet because it is dadgummed HOT in the belly of The Beast!

post-1637-0-84224000-1414277332_thumb.jp

The feast is ready and I'm so hungry my stomach thinks my throat's been cut.  Let's get these bad boys assembled and on a plate!

post-1637-0-19810800-1414277436_thumb.jp

And as we're ready to sit down with a cold beer and a balanced plate of grilled goodness ...

post-1637-0-00588400-1414277506_thumb.jp

My dadgummed doorbell ring!  Blast it all anyway!  I open the door and it's my dear middle brother who lives just around the corner, not 125 yards away.  "HEY, whatcha eating'?" he asks.  "I thought I smelled you cooking!  When do WE eat?"  "We?, I asked.  "Hey, what kinda beer you got there?" he asked as he walked on by to the table.  Oh well, once the camel's nose is under the tent, he's gonna eat and drink.

And so fellow Gurus, a sumptuous feast was had by yours truly and his feckless brother, now fast asleep on the sofa!  And what did the fearless Sous Chef Skippy do during all this commotion?  Where was he?

post-1637-0-87610800-1414278012_thumb.jp

Sitting on his cat tree watching the whole thing go down!

And so they lived happily ever after.  

The End!

• Like 1

CC, dude, mushroom swiss burgers are da bomb, man!

And, I gotta wean you off that damned Miller Lite! At least Fortune is a step in the right direction; but, beware, it's not a "light" beer at all - 6.9 percent alcohol by volume. 186 calories per 12-ounce serving. Try Sam Adams Light (119 Cal), if you're gonna stick to "light" beer. 

Ah Tony, my friend! For the turkey cook last weekend we had Bass, Guinness, and made Black and Tans!

Tony, I'm a TIGHT sumbuck. When I've got a big time gathering, I'm buying and serving and drinking Miller or Bud or Coors lite. When I'm alone or at a small party, I'm drinking Bass, Guiness, etc. That's when I crack out the Woodford Reserve, Glenlivet, etc. Heck fire ... I'm not really as dumb as I look, all evidence to the contrary! I promise! LOL!

Parrothead - that 275° you saw was on the way to about 500°F. As for time, I'm going to have to give myself a "Bad Dog! No Biscuit!" because I never really time burger cooks anymore. I love burgers and used to own a restaurant that specialized in burgers. I go mainly by color. I've cooked so many burgers I know exactly what exterior color gives me a Medium center. TheBeast, my KK BB 32" does such an incredibly on something so prosaic as a burger it's not even funny! If people only knew!