Parrothead72

Babybacks, Jerky and Pig Candy

Hey gang. Recently got a rib rack from Dennis and am keen to break it in. Any magic secrets for babybacks? I read the forum and am looking for a Jedi's thoughts....

Also did some pig candy the other day. Can fwd the recipe if you care for it. Essentially thick cut bacon, rubbed and maple syrupped and then smoked.....sinfully good for the holidays....

Could use a good jerky recipe too (Beef, Pork or Chicken). Mine came out too moist the last go round....

Thanks for any consideration....

I've been lucky finding really meaty ribs lately, so I've been going simple: salt, pepper, and garlic powder smoked low and slow with the heat deflector and drip pan at 225 for 4 hours or so.

I do my jerky in a dehydrator. The last few batches came out really good after marinating in honey, cayenne, and fennel seeds. Gotta water down the honey so it's thin and soaks in.

CeramicChef. Sorry for my delay. The link below is the recipe I use. Happy to tell you the rub I use as well - in stead of Jeff's quoted in the recipe.

http://www.smoking-meat.com/october-23-2014-smoked-bacon-candy-pig-candy

Smoked Bacon Candy (Pig Candy) - Smoking Meat Newsletter

My email is [email protected]. Tag me there and I can fwd the rub.

I've been lucky finding really meaty ribs lately, so I've been going simple: salt, pepper, and garlic powder smoked low and slow with the heat deflector and drip pan at 225 for 4 hours or so.

May do some tomorrow. Any foil? Guess it is hard to cook ribs to a temp so how do you know? Just a feel thing? I am going to use the rib rack on the main grill. Maybe a fruit wood like cherry or apple. Any need to brine? Mop? Thanks kindly. Merry Christmas.

Rocked some more pig candy. Modest additions to the recipe. After a night of marinating in the syrup and rub, I put some brown sugar and some more rub on just before smoking. Used hickory and smoked at 225 for about 3 hours. Rotating the trays and turning the bacon over once. Best so far. Sinfully good.

post-1326-142022126969_thumb.jpg

post-1326-142022128718_thumb.jpg

post-1326-142022129985_thumb.jpg

post-1326-14202213131_thumb.jpg

post-1326-142022132907_thumb.jpg

post-1326-142022134716_thumb.jpg

post-1326-142022135917_thumb.jpg

Note the NY Ranger mug and the Fireball! We did the polar bear plunge yesterday!

2441d10234686f4fdf6723d870f07832.jpgfa8d5d537eb99c3dc3303726d80b4b95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parrothead! About the time I'm thinking you are one of the most sane men I know (I'm looking at and drooling over that gorgeous pig candy post) you go and spoil it all with that polar bear plunge! Good grief! Are you daft?

No matter - great pig candy cook! You can be as fruity as a peach orchard boar and as long as you can do pig candy like that, you're aces in my book!

• Like 1