Loquitur

Let's see your turkeys!!!

Didn't anybody cook their Thanksgiving Turkey on the KK?  Let's see 'um!!!!!  I had high hopes of doing mine on the KK but was traveling on Thanksgiving Day and arrived home for my cook to over a foot of snow plus ice and darkness.So I did it in my kitchen and didn't take any photos. 

For years (imported US) turkeys were $5 a kilo here in Indonesia, a few months ago they jacked the prices to $15 a kilo.

Needless to say no restaurants or friends cooked one this year..

The butterball I was eyeballing was $115..

$115 - WOW!!! You could get a Wagyu Prime Rib for that here. My 10# Butterball was only $16. 

I passed and took the kids out..

Why do I have flashbacks to "A Christmas Story"? - Bumpases!

But, they cut the video clip too short, the next line is "Get dressed. We're going out to eat!"

Didn't anybody cook their Thanksgiving Turkey on the KK?  Let's see 'um!!!!!  I had high hopes of doing mine on the KK but was traveling on Thanksgiving Day and arrived home for my cook to over a foot of snow plus ice and darkness.So I did it in my kitchen and didn't take any photos. 

Mine were posted over here - http://komodokamado.com/forum/topic/5032-best-thanksgiving-turkey-recommendation/#entry47025

Here's a few pics I was about to post:

I just HATE it when I can't hit a temp!  This was supposed to be a 350F cook!

post-1831-0-31157600-1417556581_thumb.jp

The Guest of Honor and THE TURKEY ROLL i spent hours trying to tracking down!  This is just prior to their smokey encounter.  The turkey roll is in the upper right hand corner.

post-1831-0-72234800-1417556655_thumb.jp

Here is the cook about half way through the cook ...

post-1831-0-96545600-1417556766_thumb.jp

post-1831-0-98841300-1417556856_thumb.jp

And now here is the Guest of Honor and his little buddy at the end of their smokey experience.

post-1831-0-84870400-1417556944_thumb.jp

post-1831-0-00688200-1417556966_thumb.jp

post-1831-0-36456500-1417556984_thumb.jp

And now the Guest of Honor about to be wrapped up and going Over The River and Through the Woods Grandma's House.  Notice that Pete The Pink Salt Pig, approves greatly!  His little buddy, Turkey Roll will be smoked turkey enchies later this week!

post-1831-0-83946800-1417557138_thumb.jp

Everyone RAVED about how tender and moist the Guest was.  In fact, no good deed goes unpunished .... for Christmas the whole famn damily wants me to do both a turkey and a ham!  I gotta talk to SWMBO about her volunteering my time!

This cook was brined 24 hours and injected with a butter, garlic, and Maple Syrup.  Cook temp was 350F over pecan smoke.  It took 2:15 to do this 17# bird.

Like they say, "No good deed goes unpunished!"

First, the brisket blowout for the KofC and now the whole family Christmas feed! Bet (wink) you didn't sign up for that when you bought your KK!

Tony - I feel like I'm in an episode of "Dude, You're Screwed!".

Do I mess with God's servants, the KofC? Not in this lifetime! Just plain bad juju and I'm already about to max that scale!

Do I tell SWMBOI's Mom no way Jose? Not in this lifetime, especially when she could very well be my last M-I-L? Again, a career limiting move! SWMBOI's Mom already had the "She cries .... You die!" talk with me.

My motto has become "Dude, You're Royally Screwed!". But then I'm 60, I'm retired, what the hell else am I gonna do? After all, I got TheBeast to use, right?

Just gives me more excuses to drink more Woodford Reserve!

Karma, man. It's all about karma!

If you need another hobby in retirement, I can hook you up and teach you to make your own beer. Been doing it for over 25 years. But, now in retirement, I'm hoping to scale up a bit. Construction is finishing up this morning as I type this, on my new brewing room in my basement. Finally, a place to brew, clean, keg, etc. without having to haul all my gear back and forth from the basement to the kitchen!

post-975-0-63652400-1417626541_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Tony - I've thought about learning the art of making good beer, but I'm much more of a whiskey man.  And YES!  Hell Yes I do mix up a batch of corn squeezin's now and again.  Being a Chemical Engineer it just seems to come rather naturally!

You've got one gorgeous looking brew house there!  Congrats!

I prefer to think of it as Midnight Express!  I generally run my corn squeezings thru an activated carbon charcoal filter to pull out all the aldehydes and ketones that make you regret the day your Mother met your Father.  I also only run thru the mash once as this also cuts down on some of the carry over.  

When I was an undergrad we had a Chem Engr course in Unit Operations ... basically the theory behind the major operating units you'd find in any process area.  So you know at the end of the semester you always have some sort of project/paper.  Out group designed an ethanol distillation column complete with reflux, optimal feed tray, the whole schmere.  Well, I did a lot of undergrad research and had an office with a HUGE laminar flow hood.  We built that still in the laminar flow hood in my office.  It was pumping out stuff almost as pure as your Mother's milk!  The best we got was about 92% or 184 proof.  One quart of that stuff in a keg of beer and you had a helluva party!

Tony, maybe I should consider this beer thing.  You have any good simple places to start reading?

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, what bgrant said. Palmer is one of the "gods" of homebrewing. To quote the godfather of homebrewing, Charlie Papazian, "Relax, have a home brew!" His books are excellent for beginners, too. He preaches the gospel of laid-back brewing. Don't sweat the minor stuff, just have fun with it. I have a signed copy of The New Complete Joy of Home Brewing.

In fact, I hope to get the inaugural brew in today in the new brew room! On the menu, Baltic Porter.