CeramicChef

Smoked NY Strips

Howdy KK Kooks!

For your consideration, I present a hickory smoked, reverse seared Prime NY Strip.

I've been under the weather lately and haven't done a thing with TheBeast.  TheBeast was getting a bit antsy, so I went out to the refrigerator and discovered I had 2 Prime NY Strips.  More correctly, SWMBOI asked if I intended on letting "... all that meat go to waste"?  She also informed me it was taking up needed space in the refrigerator.  It wasn't bothering me one little bit in the refrigerator and after all, it IS my refrigerator!  But as we all know, happy, ahhhh, happy life!

So not feeling too keen about putting' on the dawg, I lit TheBeast and threw in a piece of hickory for smoke.  Here he is, getting up to speed:

post-1637-0-94057800-1417989379_thumb.jp

Here are the Prime Strips just on with nothing but salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Just plain simple.  

post-1637-0-65380800-1417989470_thumb.jp

And after 30 minutes at 200F, here they are at 120F when I pulled them.  Really gorgeous color on that meat.

post-1637-0-07416800-1417989530_thumb.jp

I opened the bottom vent about 3/4ths of the way open and spun the top hat vent 2 full turns.  Temps took off like a rocket sled on rails!  Here's what 750 looks like in the belly of TheBeast!

post-1637-0-40743100-1417989687_thumb.jp

Here's 2 minutes later at the first turn:

post-1637-0-56661500-1417989743_thumb.jp

Here's another 2 minutes after that first turn:

post-1637-0-76596800-1417989817_thumb.jp

Pulled at 135 internal temp (SWMBOI Likes her steak on the medium side and again, happy, ahhhh, happy life!)  I gotta figure out a new saying for SWMBOI!

post-1637-0-70960300-1417989946_thumb.jp

You can't tell it but the pic because the light was so bad and my camera sucks, but it was SWMBOI Medium.  Perfect she told me.  Whew!  Another bullet dodged!   good.gif

And here, finally, is the means whereby I avoided going face down in my cook.  HYDRATION!

post-1637-0-76745500-1417990081_thumb.jp

That Shiner Wild Hare died in the service of a great steak and a grateful CC!

Pete The Pink Salt Pig gives this cook 4 hooves up!  He fell on his a$$ doing so, but Pete liked this cook!

Y'all have a great week!  

You crack me up, dude!  :lmao:

Nice looking steaks, too!

And, I hope you're feeling better! The doctor said, "More Wild Hare!"

Thanks, tony.  I've always said, If you can't have fun doing what you're doing, quit doing it and find something fun to do!  Has always worked for me!

As for the Wild Hare, numerous doses of Wild Hare seem to be doing the trick.  Either that or I'm so smack-eyed I can't feel any pain.  Either way, I'm doing the Spunky Monkey Dance!

The steaks look great...    But I have another question....what is  SWMBOI  ??  

Medik - Thanks for the feedback on the steaks.  

SWMBOI - She Who MUST Be Obeyed IMMEDIATELY ... Now I'm not married, but think Happy Wife, Happy Life!  Took me 2 divorces and millions in parting gifts to figure that out!  

Heylo CC..

Looks like a new twist.. for the pre-cook it looks like you were direct at 200º..   I always throw in a drip pan to make it indirect.

Did you do a flip during the 30 minute pre-cook to keep both sides uniform?

And it looks like you did the entire cook from the main.. Can't argue with the beautiful color/result..

Just love seeing how many ways you can skin the cat and get great results..

;-)

Heylo CC..

Looks like a new twist.. for the pre-cook it looks like you were direct at 200º..   I always throw in a drip pan to make it indirect.

Did you do a flip during the 30 minute pre-cook to keep both sides uniform?

And it looks like you did the entire cook from the main.. Can't argue with the beautiful color/result..

Just love seeing how many ways you can skin the cat and get great results..

;-)

A BIG Oklahoma Howdy to ya, Dennis!

I actually did the smoke phase at about 250°F and it was direct. The fire was on one side of TheBeast and the Starks on the other side. No need for a heat deflector as TheBeast really is big enough so that I didn't need one.

As for the 30 minute flip, I didn't do a flip at all. I got caught up in a business call and it never crossed my mind! I will say that the color on both sides was almost identical. No harm, no foul!

And you are correct, I did the entire cook on the main. Dennis, I can't get over how temps just rocket up when you open the vents wide open! Talk about responsive .... TheBeast took off like a rocket. I just put both steaks right over the hottest part of the fire in the belly of TheBeast. A couple of minutes later and turn. Turn again 2 minutes later. It was as easy as shooting fish in a barrel. Rest for a few minutes after you pull and there it is! Tasty!