CeramicChef

My Neighbor's Butts!

So I have new neighbors that moved into the house just east of me.  Unpacking is such a pain in the gluteus maximus,  Been there and done that.  So Pat and her husband Kerwin are directing the unpacking of the moving van and we get to know each other.  Lovely couple who are 75 and 79 respectively.  I ask if they like BBQ and Kerwin looks at me as if I've lost my mind!  He says "Young man, what part of YES, HE!! YES don't you understand!"  I know immediately I'm gonna like these folks!  So I tell Pat and Kerwin I'm fixing them a pulled pork dinner with all the fixin's.  After protesting I tell them I'm bigger than both of them and I don't want to hear any more about it.

So I buy a couple of butts and and rub 'em up with olive oil and my Embarrassed Zebra rub and stow 'em in the refrigerator over night for 24 hours.  I pull the butts about 6 pm and rub 'em up again and back into the cooler.  I fire up TheBeast about 8:00 pm and heat soak him at 225F until 10 pm when the butts go on the grill.  We're using apple chunks for our smoke component.  

post-1637-0-55170800-1419352763_thumb.jp

Here are the butts just on the main grate.  

post-1637-0-94972900-1419352796_thumb.jp

So I shut the lid and it's off to bed.  I told TheBeast this was for our new neighbors and to behave himself over night.  No shenanigans whatsoever!  

So I wake up the next morning and this is what greets my eyes ...

post-1637-0-60470400-1419352903_thumb.jp

Here's how my neighbor's butts look about half way through the cook ...

post-1637-0-24705300-1419352956_thumb.jp

So it seems that TheBeast and his guests of honor are playing nice together!  

Flash forward to about 5:00 pm and I check my neighbor's butts again.

post-1637-0-68535000-1419353071_thumb.jp

Probed like soft butt and the ThermaPen showed and IT of 200F for off the butts came!

post-1637-0-89809300-1419353155_thumb.jp

Here's a pic of one of the butts right before wrapping and being stuck in the cooler for about an hour.

post-1637-0-40976200-1419353253_thumb.jp

At 6:00 pm I started pulling the pork and here is a pic of what went next door.

post-1637-0-64884700-1419353321_thumb.jp

I don't have any pics of the plated sammies, cole slaw, and homemade chips, but let's just say Pat came over about 7:30 pm and told me Kerwin was on his 3rd helping of everything!  BINGO!

As an aside, Kerwin came over the next day to get a proper introduction to TheBeast.  I showed him TheBeast and he started asking questions.  Kerwin WAS thinking of buying a BGE but has changed his mind.  His family is eaten up with BGEs.  Pat told me he's spent the last 2 days reading the Komodo Kamado website and has decided he's going to can his BGE purchase and go with a KK 23" Ultimate!  

Y'all have the very Merriest and most Blessed of Christmases!  

That’s a great holiday story. Thanks for sharing!

Although I guess you’ll have to brace yourself for the flak you’re going to get because based on your photos, The Beast dropped a whopping 25ºF over 8-10 hours overnight. Clearly you could have done the same thing with an Akorn. ^_^

• Like 1

All I can say is that there’s a reason I said that on this forum, and not on another. ^_^

Gonna have to teach you two to play nice in the sandbox!! 

ROFLMAO!!!

Nice looking butts, CC! That was seriously nice of you to cook for your new neighbors, but I'm gonna have to call you the "G-damn the Pusher Man" (homage to Steppenwolf) for seducing your neighbor into the KK "addiction!"

• Like 1

That’s a great holiday story. Thanks for sharing!

Although I guess you’ll have to brace yourself for the flak you’re going to get because based on your photos, The Beast dropped a whopping 25ºF over 8-10 hours overnight. Clearly you could have done the same thing with an Akorn. ^_^

I just spit my drink out. Hot poker to the CC. C'mon Wilbur. At least let the wound generate a scab before you pick at it.

• Like 1

ROFLMAO!!!

I just spit my drink out. Hot poker to the CC. C'mon Wilbur. At least let the wound generate a scab before you pick at it.

Just so you all know, over on the Kamado Guru forum, CC sometimes makes the mistake of pointing out that KK grills are built to a higher standard than Akorns. At which point, many Akorn owners jump on him for suggesting such a thing.

This has happened so often and so consistently that I thought CC would feel neglected if someone didn’t make a comment. ^_^

• Like 2

ROFLMAO!!!

Nice looking butts, CC! That was seriously nice of you to cook for your new neighbors, but I'm gonna have to call you the "G-damn the Pusher Man" (homage to Steppenwolf) for seducing your neighbor into the KK "addiction!"

ROFLMAO as well!  My new motto:  First one's free!  

• Like 1

You bastards are f'ing ruthless!!!  Geez, screw up one time and you're a slag forever!  Can't a sucker get an even break!  Alright, you guys have tossed the gauntlet down.  Game ON!   :laughing6:

You won't know when, you won't know where, you won't know how, you'll just know WHO!

Just so you all know, over on the Kamado Guru forum, CC sometimes makes the mistake of pointing out that KK grills are built to a higher standard than Akorns. At which point, many Akorn owners jump on him for suggesting such a thing.

This has happened so often and so consistently that I thought CC would feel neglected if someone didn’t make a comment. ^_^

Geez, Wilbur!  Thanks for making me feel right at home!  LOL!!!

That's what I love about you Wilbur ... always looking out for me!  Thanks ever so much!   :laughing6:

Glad that I don't play in that sandbox! They sound touchy! If you can't stand the heat, stand back from the Kamado!

• Like 1

The most vocal folks are those that own the biggest POSK, the Akorn.  They wear their cheapness as a badge of honor.  I understand that any kamado can produce good food.  I've done it using two big terra cotta pots, but the Akorn insults its customers with poor workmanship, cheap materials, NO CUSTOMER SERVICE, and nonexistent quality control.  And those are the good points!

When you point out the blatantly obvious, some people just go ballistic.  I think it's because they don't want to admit what they know deep inside ... THE GOT SCREWED!

But that's just me.

Well, I thought I'd give you a quick update on my New Neighbors.

Yesterday afternoon, my doorbell rings.  I struggle to open my eyes and get out of my recliner.  You see, it's an electric recliner and between the buttons, my sleepy fat rat backside, it takes a few.  So I shout "Just a minute!  I'm coming!"  and finally extract myself from the clutches of the Creature holding me down by the butt.  I run to the door, escaping the clutches of my shoes, (who the he11 left 'em in the middle of the room?) and get to the front door.  Yanking it open I hit my dadgummed left big toe and dad gum that hurts!  There is Pat and Kerwin holding a most beautifully OU Crimson wrapped basket.  "MERRY CHRISTMAS, KEN!"  

Sorry I don't have any pics of the Basket, I'm a schlub.  I can't even control my own Salt Pig!  Pete, The Pink Salt Pig just had to rip the basket open and see what was inside!  Pigs are quick, ya know?!  So in any event, here's Pete inspecting the contents:

post-1637-0-98691800-1419530613_thumb.jp

As you can see, Pete is mostly interested in a little liquid libation and I'm not sharing!  There are some great homemade hot pickles and strawberry and plum preserves!  Yes, pete and I tried them and they are wonderful.  But I'm not sharing my new bottle of 90 Proof Weller with Pete!  That Salt Pig is on his own!  Sorry if you think I'm being mean to my pig.  Call PETA!

Nothing like great neighbors!  I gotta have Kerwin over for a couple of fingers of Weller's neat.  I think I'll go put this bottle in the freezer to chill.  NO OTR for this kid!