CeramicChef

Say Goodbye To The Holidays!

Howdy KKers!

It's finally time to say goodbye to the holidays.  The 12 Days of Christmas are about gone and the Holiday Season is over.  I figured it was time to move on and I pulled a turkey roast that I cooked for Thanksgiving out of the freezer.  Some of you may remember this cook .... here is a picture of a turkey and the turkey roast from that cook.  The roast is on the far right of the picture.

post-1637-0-50354200-1420482022_thumb.jp

So I asked SWMBO, my brother the BBQ Mooch, and my neighbors if they would like some smoked turkey enchiladas.  The resounding answer:  YES!  So I'm presenting a dish of the smoked turkey enchies I made this past weekend.

Here is a look at the turkey roast in a solo shot.  The paring knife is for a size reference.

post-1637-0-21483100-1420482226_thumb.jp

These roasts have elastic netting to keep the preformed turkey roast in its formed shape.  Here is a shot of that netting cut off the turkey roast.

post-1637-0-59559300-1420482324_thumb.jp

Here is a shot of the turkey roast right after shredding it.  It's really a lot of turkey!

post-1637-0-88877500-1420482372_thumb.jp

For an idea of how much turkey this is, here is a shot with a blue latex glove for a size comparison.  The pile of turkey is about 1.5" high.

post-1637-0-93830400-1420482512_thumb.jp

And following is the rest of the smoked turkey enchilada cook.

Now we got to the enchie assembly.  First a layer of spinach and a finely diced sweet onion ...

post-1637-0-37823500-1420482642_thumb.jp

Next we add a goodly portion of the shredded smoked turkey roast ...

post-1637-0-59129900-1420482779_thumb.jp

And now we're going to used some smoked cheddar cheese I smoked back in early December along with some of the enchie sauce ...

post-1637-0-19053100-1420482842_thumb.jp

Repeat 4 more times for this particular dish and pour the remainder of the enchie sauce on top of the enchies in the dish ...

post-1637-0-96672400-1420483064_thumb.jp

Now top with cheese and a couple of different types of peppers, diced Hatch papers and roasted poblanos, and it's ready to go to the belly of TheBeast ...

post-1637-0-42567700-1420483176_thumb.jp

Here are the enchies right after getting on the grate ...

post-1637-0-14134000-1420483233_thumb.jp

Here is the dish of enchies after 75 minutes at 325F ...

post-1637-0-90800500-1420483314_thumb.jp

And finally, for your viewing pleasure, here is the money shot with Pete The Salt Pig and his new Pig Minions supervising ...

post-1637-0-64700800-1420483400_thumb.jp

So, stick a fork in the Holidays, they are done for the next 11 months or so!  I hope your Holiday Season was as good as mine and that you enjoyed the show here. Now it's onward and upward for 2015!

Frog - yeppers, this was my first turkey roast. And it definitely won't be the last. This roast was entirely white meat. Next time I'm going to be the mixed roast, both white and dark. This roast was really tasty and pretty juicy. I guess that came from the injected saline solution. This roast really pulled and chopped well. I think from now on, instead of chicken enchies, I'm going to be using turkey!

Hey Frog - nice game you boys had against Ole Miss! Sadly you guys also got screwed, lubed, and tattooed by the selection committee. Florida State, the Criminoles, had absolutely no business being there.

My Sooners have a LOT of work to do. Heads have started rolling in Norman. Today Stoops cut loose the Co-Offensive coordinator. It's a beginning.

You guys have probably noticed, unless you get your yardbird from a local farmer that raises and harvests them right, chicken is mostly devoid of flavor these days.  Yes even the stuff at Whole Foods, etc.   Not that long ago one could buy fryers, roasters and older stewing chickens that at least tasted like, well, chicken!  

Turkey is great except mericans won't buy it unless its immediately either side of Thanksgiving.  And that means frozen for the rest of us outside of T-day.  <sigh>.

• Like 1

Won't be doing any KK-ing for the next few days. After an exceedingly mild December, January has hit full force. 8 inches of the white stuff last night and the high temp tomorrow is only going to be MINUS 7F (wind chills in the 25F BELOW ZERO range). Winter's Here!!  :cold:

post-975-0-34214500-1420560229_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-03456800-1420560257_thumb.jpg

On the bright side, my Yellow Jackets thumped poor Miss St. on NYE. Enjoyed that one after the heartbreaker to the SemiHoles in the ACC Championship game. High hopes for 2015!!

• Like 1

You guys have probably noticed, unless you get your yardbird from a local farmer that raises and harvests them right, chicken is mostly devoid of flavor these days.  Yes even the stuff at Whole Foods, etc.   Not that long ago one could buy fryers, roasters and older stewing chickens that at least tasted like, well, chicken!  

Turkey is great except mericans won't buy it unless its immediately either side of Thanksgiving.  And that means frozen for the rest of us outside of T-day.  <sigh>.

dstr8 - you're dadgummedstr8!  Chicken tastes, for the most part, like a mouth full of sand.

I think there are a lot of those turkey roasts in my future!

Being originally from Nebraska I miss the old NU-OU rivalry.  Still getting used to the new mix of leagues and teams.  And, of course, we get to get used to yet another coach in Big Red land.  This could be a long hyjack :D

Geez, is that ever right!  It simply ain't Thanksgiving unless OU/NU is on TV!  I hope this new coach NU hired does the trick and gets NU back to the Devany/Osborne glory days.  

Won't be doing any KK-ing for the next few days. After an exceedingly mild December, January has hit full force. 8 inches of the white stuff last night and the high temp tomorrow is only going to be MINUS 7F (wind chills in the 25F BELOW ZERO range). Winter's Here!!  :cold:

attachicon.gif002.JPG

attachicon.gif003.JPG

On the bright side, my Yellow Jackets thumped poor Miss St. on NYE. Enjoyed that one after the heartbreaker to the SemiHoles in the ACC Championship game. High hopes for 2015!!

Geez, tony!  MINUS 7!??? You can[t even breathe in that weather!  Hate to tell you this, but I think the Criminals finally got what they deserved.  Winston needs to go the the NFL and find out what life's all about.  In my world, he's nothing but a coddled thug.  I used to teach at Florida and always admired Florida State until Jimbo and the Gang sold out to protect that low class thug at the QB position.  

Jeez Tony...that looks most unbearable!  And the KK with snow atop just looks so forlorn :D!   My folks still live in Omaha and although they missed the latest round of blizzard action its damn c-c-cold!   Keep trying to get them out for a visit but at 84 YO they're not traveling as much as they used to.  

• Like 1

Thirty Below Zero wind chills right now and I have a dentist appointment in an hour! Was rather "brisk" this morning taking out the trash (It's garbage day, too!) At least I wasn't the poor guy on the garbage truck!

Can't wait to see the utility bills for this month!  :eek:

• Like 1

Your food looks amazing, as always. I’ve filed away the enchilada recipe for future reference. ^_^

Thanks for the sentiments, Wilbur. My cooks here can't hold a candle to yours, but they are tasty.  I'm just a single guy who likes to have a few folks share in my cooking.  You have an entire family to cook for!  I like your position a LOT better than mine!  Be well and stay warm!

Jeez Tony...that looks most unbearable!  And the KK with snow atop just looks so forlorn :D!   My folks still live in Omaha and although they missed the latest round of blizzard action its damn c-c-cold!   Keep trying to get them out for a visit but at 84 YO they're not traveling as much as they used to.  

dstr8 - tell your folks to stay inside when it gets this bad here in the central US.  I'm freezing my tush off here in OKC.  I can't believe the wind chills we have here and those are nothing compared to what your folks must be feeling!

Thirty Below Zero wind chills right now and I have a dentist appointment in an hour! Was rather "brisk" this morning taking out the trash (It's garbage day, too!) At least I wasn't the poor guy on the garbage truck!

Can't wait to see the utility bills for this month!  :eek:

Geez, tony ... gotta scrape the sidewalk and drive just so you can go get your teeth scraped, huh?  Be careful up there with these wind chills being so low.  Frostbite in a BIG hurry!  Be safe and take a wee nip to keep you warm!