EGGARY

Bobby Flay and Ribs

This morning I saw BBQ Addiction with Bobby Flay.  He was making Spare Ribs on a BGE.  He used a pan of water that he put over the charcoal and then used the Plate Setter.  Then the grill.  He was looking for steam to help cook the ribs.  I know that with the KK and any Kamado, there is no need for a water as there is enough moisture inside the KK/Kamado.  Am I missing something ?  Would it help using a pan of water ?  

Always looking for ideas.

Thanks.

Gary

What CC and 5698k said and my own 2 cents:  I think most people, outside of true BBQ enthusiasts, aka "the masses" like their ribs fall off the bone tender rather than a product with proper texture (I'm married to one ;)).  And steaming the ribs speeds up the process as well making the process easier and less failure prone.  Lastly I think he's playing to his audience.  

And to think that back in the day, I used to watch Grillin' & Chillin' religiously! Now, he's more a cult of personality than chef (IMO).

Yeah, tony! I remember that show. What ever happened to the Good Ole Boy in the overalls that was on that show with Flay? I think his name was Jack. He was pretty entertaining as not bad on a grill as I remember. Benn a long time since that show.

One thing I’ve been very impressed with Smaug is how much moisture is retained when cooking. During a cook I’ll lift the lid to do something or other, and I’ll feel the warm moist air coming out of the grill. I’m talking fog-my-glasses-up levels of moisture.

I have a hard time believing a water pan would be of any additional benefit in a KK grill.

• Like 2