The Soon_to-Be-Granddaughters were over the other evening for dinner.  They had never had kabobs!  They didn't even know what a kabob looked like!  So we solved that situation in a hurry.

I had four fresh chicken breasts, a bunch of bell peppers, some mushrooms, etc. and that is just perfect for a quick cook.  We diced up the veggies and the chicken breasts.  I'm having to teach this young ladies knife skills, how to light a fire, how to set temps, etc.  

Gurus, please start teaching your kids and grandkids these things at an early age.  I'm staggered when I run across teens and young adults who can't boil water without a microwave!  But, I digress ...

So here are the veggies on a grate for cooking.  I ALWAYS cook the veggies separately from the chicken, beef, etc. because they simply don't cook at the same rate.  

post-2-0-05079000-1427745592_thumb.jpg

Here are the chicken kabobs as they went on the grate. These were strung together by the Ladies.  Had to show the girls how to make certain you didn't skewer your fingers!  

post-2-0-09494700-1427745616_thumb.jpg

This is a picture of the first turn of those kabobs.

post-2-0-92581600-1427745631_thumb.jpg

And these are the kabobs about to be pulled from the grate.

post-2-0-49473700-1427745652_thumb.jpg

The kabobs are about ready to march into the house and rest for 3-5 minutes.  Cailey is holding the cook she supervised.

post-2-0-98135800-1427745667_thumb.jpg

And the money shot with my good buddy, Pete the Pink Salt Pig, supervising.  

post-2-0-01220200-1427745684_thumb.jpg

The young ladies did a really good job on these.  They ran the cook from lighting the fire to controlling temps to cook prep to the actual cook to plating the food.  I think they did a heckuva job!

Thanks for looking in!  The Ladies and I appreciate it.

Kabobs look very tasty and before you know it those two young women will be posting their cooks on this site, best move over CC and make room :smt061  :smt061  :)  

MacKenzie - that is the whole idea!  I want The Ladies to attract the kind of man who: 1) knows how to cook, 2) knows how to cook on a kamado, and, 3) is willing to do what is necessary to provide his Bride with the finest in life starting with a KK!  Seriously!  

I will gladly step aside for The Ladies!  That's the way it should be.  Thus it has always been; thus it shall always be.

• Like 1

Did you and the girls do anything interesting with the chicken - marinate, rubs, etc? I see some color on the raw bits in the first shot - teriyaki/soy sauce maybe?

tony - we didn't do anything but sprinkle some of a friend's Cajun Seasoning on the chicken.  Also did the veggies with a lite coat of EVOO and some of the same Cajun Seasoning that went on the chicken.

With The Ladies being such novices, I thought we'd start with baby steps and let success build on success.  The Ladies don't even know about brining, marinades, etc.  I don't want to swamp them with WWTMFI from the beginning.  

You good KKers are helping me with your enthusiastic response to this cook.  I'm going to show these comments to The Ladies this afternoon.  You guys are fantastic cooks and that take time to comment positively is a very big help.  Thanks!

Cc excellent meal and you are lucky to be surrounded by so many women.

Tiny - yes and no!  The Yen and Yang thing reigns here at ChezChef.  I sometimes wish for a little more testosterone, but with SWMBOI, The Ladies,  spayed Kitty Cat, we need a bit more maleness at times.  Skippy, a neutered male, just looks at me when I ask for help!  After all, I'm the one who took Skippy to the Vet for the chop!  And he never lets me forget!

Excellent meal. Very nice to see them kamado cooking. A great job all around.

Thanks, Charles.  I appreciate the comments.  I'll say one thing for The Ladies, once they figured out that you're NOT going to do anything to break a KK, they jumped right on in.  They have yet to formally meet TheBeast, so that still has to come.  The main grate on TheBeast weigh almost as much as each of The Ladies!  That meeting should be interesting!  LOL!!

Love the veggie tray too - and kudos for not cooking them on the sticks with the meat...how many times have we all had burnt veg because we had to cook the chicken long enough to be done  Or in the case of beef, vice versa for me....overcooked meat because of uncooked veg. 

• Like 1

Love the veggie tray too - and kudos for not cooking them on the sticks with the meat...how many times have we all had burnt veg because we had to cook the chicken long enough to be done Or in the case of beef, vice versa for me....overcooked meat because of uncooked veg.

When an office lady where I work ask me about that - I told her not to look at the fancy cookbook pictures. Only put things on a stick that have similar cook times otherwise you either have something that is burnt or something that is under cooked.

I would thin chicken and baby potatoes would work.

MD rare steak and vegetables should work.

Never steak and chicken. Never chicken and vegetables.

You also need things that are basically the same size. If you have big pieces of meat and small vegetables the vegetables will never touch the grate.

When an office lady where I work ask me about that - I told her not to look at the fancy cookbook pictures. Only put things on a stick that have similar cook times otherwise you either have something that is burnt or something that is under cooked.

I would thin chicken and baby potatoes would work.

MD rare steak and vegetables should work.

Never steak and chicken. Never chicken and vegetables.

You also need things that are basically the same size. If you have big pieces of meat and small vegetables the vegetables will never touch the grate.

ckreef - it has never been said better! Great posts. Thanks!

• Like 1

Great cook, CC!

The same approach holds for stir frying. Most Chinese dishes are a combination of veggies and meat, and the same issues of different cooking times holds true there. When making, say, chicken and snow peas, we’ll cook the aromatics first (ginger/green onion/garlic), then add the snow peas, then take them out of the wok and set them aside. Then we’ll cook the chicken, add the snow peas back when the chicken’s done, and make the sauce.