EGGARY

Guava Wood Chunks

I am looking forward to trying Guava Wood Chunks. I saw The Naked Whiz post on Facebook something about Guava Wood Chunks and like a sucker I went to the Link and ordered. Twelve pounds of chunks for $29 and that includes shipping from Hawaii.

I wish I could post Link from my phone but I am Computer Stupid. I will try to do it from Home Computer.

Frogs - have you tried coffee wood? Excellent! Combine coffee wood with a coffee cardamom rub list here and on a brisket or butt and you have a little bit of heaven fallen to earth! I'm also partial to every fruit wood I've tried, apple, peach, avacodo, cherry, etc. I'm not real big on citrus woods. I also like pecan, oaks of all types, hickory, but I'm not big on mesquite as it can overpower a lot of cooks. I like alder for for fish and fowl.

Maybe we should start a section/thread where we discuss smoking woods, where we order from, some reviews, etc. What do you think KKers? Do we already have this and once again I missed the memo?

Good idea, CC (like always!) There are a couple of threads on the topic, but they are scattered about. Same with charcoal. Maybe we could combine the two topics into a new thread subject?

I'm a huge fan of Fruita woods. Cherry, peach, and apple are my "go to's" for fruit. Pecan, hickory, red oak, and mesquite for hardwoods. Have cedar and alder wood planks for fish. 

Eager to hear about the guava wood. Sounds interesting for fish or chicken, maybe even porkchops, or guave-smoked bacon!!!

CC, what kind of flavor does Avocado put out ?

Beggary - I hate to tell you this, but it was about a year ago that I got some avocado wood and I really don't remember.  I only used it on a couple of cooks.  I can tell you this, the folks really liked it when I told them that I smoke their brisket and pork butt using avocado.  No complaints!  It was a nice mid-range smoke.  Didn't overpower anything.  As to the specific flavor profile, I just can't remember.  Sorry about that.

I like an area focused on smoking woods. Where do you get coffee wood?

Frogs - I got mine from Dennis when I ordered TheBeast.  He was gracious enough to throw in a couple of boxes.  I'm down to about half a box now.  I'm going to have to bite the bullet and phone Dennis and beg for the name of his supplier!  Supplication is becoming easier all the time as I get older!  LOL!!

• Like 1

I've tried coffee and guava.  The coffee is good; however, it pretty strong stuff.  You have to be very careful with the coffee as it is easy to ruin a cook if you use it like hickory or other 'mainstream' woods.  Guava, for me, was at the other end of the spectrum, not a whole lot there, but maybe I didn't use enough.

Peach is currently my favorite smoking wood, and I buy it here:  http://www.fruitawoodchunks.com/

Cookie

• Like 2

Last Sunday I used Guava Wood Chunks on 2 slabs of Spare Ribs. I used 3 chunks. First of all let me say the Wood Chunks were shipped via 3-day Postal Express. I hadn't touched the box trying to decide when to use the Guava Chunks. Suppose to be good with poultry, pork, and seafood. So since I was doing Ribs I would break out the Guava Wood Chunks. These chunks are nice size, like the size of a fist. I use CoCo Charcoal and put two of the chunks between charcoal on the side and the third on the lit charcoal before putting the Heat Deflector. The temp was at 200-220. It was smoking ok so I opened the upper vent a little and the smoke increased. I don't know why but the temp goes up to 280 as time goes. After 3 hours one of the slabs of ribs was ready to pull so I wrapped both with the intention of putting them back on to heat up and brush on BBQ Sauce.

The Ribs were really good. The smoke flavor was not overwhelming, a nice light smoke flavor. My shirt didn't smell as smokey as in using other wood chunks. I look forward to using Guava Wood Chunks on chicken.

I used this rub on one of the Slabs of Ribs. On the other I used Simply Marvelous Cherry and Sweet and Spicy Rubs. I preferred the Memphis Dust.

Memphis Dust w/Salt

I`ll be trying this rub tomorrow found at the amazing ribs site.

Ingredients

3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar

3/4 cup white sugar

1/2 cup paprika

1/4 cup kosher salt

1/4 cup garlic powder

2 tablespoons ground black pepper

2 tablespoons ground ginger powder

2 tablespoons onion powder

2 teaspoons rosemary powder