MacKenzie

Rice Cooker Mac & Cheese

2C elbow pasta
2C water
1t salt

Add to rice cooker set on white rice for 30 mins.

Cheese Sauce
1.5-2C of grated cheddar cheese
1 can evapourated milk
0.5t of mustard powder
0.5t ground black pepper

After the 30 mins. the pasta will still be very moist but that is fine.

Add the cheese sauce and stir. Set rice cooker on Keep Warm setting for 10 min.

Can serve as is or put into individual dishes, sprinkle with bread crumbs and put under broiler until that nice golden brown colour is achieved.

Great recipe. Never thought of using a rice cooker to make Mac and cheese.

Another tasty option we do all the time now - instead of topping with bread crumbs we top with French's Fried Onions Cheddar Flavored. Gives the crunchy top with a hint of onion and the cheddar flavored variety gives a little more cheese flavor to Mac and cheese.

This is the one I have and it works great, Zojirushi NP-HBC10 5-1/2-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker and Warmer with Induction Heating System, Stainless Steel. :)

MacKenzie - Interesting.  Never thought of using a rice cooker for Mac-n-cheese.  This may be a reason I finally go out and buy a rice cooker!

• Like 1

Yeah, but I can cook a mean pot of rice in a 1 qt Calphalon pot w/lid. Just sayin' !!!

I have Emeril's book "Cooking with Power" and there's a whole chapter on doing cooks (similar to your amazing Mac&Cheese) in a "multi-cooker" - a glorified rice cooker. I bought it for the pressure cooker chapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Emerils-Cooking-Power-Delicious-Starring/dp/0061742988/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1429142491&sr=1-5&keywords=power+cooking+cookbook

I have a cheapie model Aroma rice cooker and I love it. It makes perfect rice every time plus keeps it warm in the same perfect condition for a long time. So I can put it on at the beginning of prepping dinner or even earlier and leave it for an hour or two while I am doing other things - such as having cocktails.:D I love my pressure cooker too but thats another subject.

Susan  

Too funny, ckreef! Better not post that one on the Guru Forum - yikes!

I have a cheap rice cooker, too. A small Sanyo. The only time that I use it is when I have a lot of rice to cook. I hesitate to use it because it's a PITA to clean and you can't do pilaf in it, as it doesn't get the oil hot enough. YMMV.

Too funny, ckreef! Better not post that one on the Guru Forum - yikes!

I have a cheap rice cooker, too. A small Sanyo. The only time that I use it is when I have a lot of rice to cook. I hesitate to use it because it's a PITA to clean and you can't do pilaf in it, as it doesn't get the oil hot enough. YMMV.

You got that right tony. I Stired up enough crap the other night when I off handedly busted on KJ. (OK so it wasn't exactly off handedly - LOL)

My rice cooker has a removable, non stick, bowl. Cleanup couldn't be easier. Never tried pilaf in it. Just use it for plain rice.

In all of the department stores here in Singapore, one can find as many rice cooker models as they could television sets at Best Buy in America.  We bought a mid-range one (don't ask the brand, can't remember and too lazy to get up and go look).  Now we feel it is the only way to cook rice.  Ours has an insert where you can use it as a steamer and we have used that on occasion, but mostly just rice.  Ours also has the easy clean non-stick style bowl.  We actually use our pressure cooker for Mac N Cheese and 'messy' stuff.  Never occurred to me to use the rice cooker for anything but rice and steamed veg (insert dumb dumb comment here)

I never make plain rice - only pilaf. I pull out the insert and put it on my stove burner and saute the onions, garlic, 

spices, brown the rice, etc in olive oil and then put it back in the cooker with the requisite liquid. I have to watch it

carefully while on the burner and stir frequently since its like a cheap aluminum pan but the results are well worth

the effort. It's only a few minutes in the beginning that you have to pay attention getting it started and then you're

home free in terms of having it perfect at the time of serving. 

• Like 2