CeramicChef

I'm Gonna Spin Some Meat!

I finally got around ordering my rotisserie motor from One Grill a company that specializes in rotisserie equipment and it came in today!  I've been looking forward to this day since Beauty! arrived with the rotisserie basket for TheBeast.

Here are a few pics of the rotisserie motor and one of the basket.

Front view:

post-1637-0-89381900-1429913756_thumb.jp

Notice that this specific motor indicated that it can spin 50 pounds of meet at once!  This is no light-weight motor.  Of course, nothing about TheBeast is light-weight!  

Here is a side panel that details a one-year warranty:

post-1637-0-68489500-1429913894_thumb.jp

I would have preferred a larger warranty, but the Customer Service rep assured me that if I take care of the motor, i.e. keep it out of the elements and remove it when not in use (no problem either way) that the motor was almost indestructible.  He said you can't believe the number of people who leave their units attached to the cooker, rain, snow, sleet, hail or shine, and then wonder why the motor breaks.  I'd believe it!

Here is a picture of the other side panel.  This company wants you to spin meat, even going do far as to suggest a first cook!

post-1637-0-14290400-1429914112_thumb.jp

Here is the back panel that details some features.

post-1637-0-70820600-1429914192_thumb.jp

Note that while the motor is indeed water resistant, it is not water proof!

Here is a front view of the motor itself.

post-1637-0-59029500-1429914255_thumb.jp

Here is a view of the motor from the side that will face TheBeast.  Note the slides on each side.

post-1637-0-35835100-1429914315_thumb.jp

And finally, here is a picture of the rotisserie itself!  This thing is a beast itself.  It's about 26" long and is 10" in diameter.

post-1637-0-77976900-1429914417_thumb.jp

At first glance, you go "WTF?"  Then you begin thinking like a KK Owner and Dennis Linkletter.  The whole basket and it's "Frankensteinian Claws" are actually designed from its inception to securely hold every cook, no matter how large (a big turkey is very doable) and no matter what shape (I'm thinking of spinning a butt and a brisket.  You also notice that there is no central spit to hold the cook.  That's because forcing a spit through a cook limits what you can cook and it more importantly lets precious juices find a way out of the cook.  That means that the cook could conceivably be less juicy than it need be.  Finally, everything is held in place by hex nuts. Nothing is going to fall out of this basket!

Finally, here is a view looking at the basket end-on.

post-1637-0-26014000-1429914885_thumb.jp

Those 3 points allow you to adjust the center-point of your basket. At least that is what I's assuming.  (Please CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG all you spinning KKers!) That is important because if you have a large cook in the basket, it's center of mass may not coincide with a single spot that normally comes with a rotisserie or most certainly a spit.  You can actually adjust the point that connects to the kamado and the motor drive unit to more properly center the cook.  Properly centered cooks mean that there is less stress on the motor and thus the motor last longer!  In essence, it takes less torque to spin the cook.

Okay, that's it for now.  I'm thinking of spinning a chicken tomorrow.  I'll make sure I take plenty of pics and post it in the appropriate thread.

Thanks for taking a look at the KK Rotisserie system.

Oh, hey!  Anyone know of a thread where it shows where all the springs and doodads are shown as assembled?  Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Cant wait to see the evidence I bet its delicious. Since me KK is still floating around at sea I may as well rewire my rotisserie motor tomorrow in preparation for the KK's arrival.

Tiny - tomorrow evening I should have the deal done, for better or worse!

Good luck with the motor! Electricity and I have a mutual hate society going with eachother! Ever since I put that hairpin in the wall socket when I was 3 ....!

HOLY CRAP, you did that too!?! Maybe that's why we're wired differently than most folks - he, he, he! 

tony - Actually, electricity has bitten me several times.  120 ain't so bad, but its bigger brother 220 has gotten me twice and he ain't much fun at all!  Son of a buck!

Okay, I'm a complete and utter idiot!  Yeah, I know, NEWSFLASH!  Right?

I simply cannot get the drive shaft, to fit as its supposed to fit into the motor.  With the spring screwed onto the end of the shaft, I begin to have problems.  First, I have to force, and I mean force the spring into the square drive hole in the motor.  Then trying to push the square end of the drive shaft into the drive motor square hole is virtually impossible.  I've tried my go to WD-40 lubricant and no joy at all.  I have to literally force the drive shaft into the motor.  Then to get it out I have to pull on the shaft with an incredible amount of force.  Even without the spring threaded onto the drive shaft this thing is a very snug fit.

So what in blues blazes am I doing wrong here?  I've watched the following video, and to see how easily Dennis mounts his motor, that leads me to believe that I'm doing something dreadfully wrong here.

Ideas?  Thoughts? Suggestions?  Pity, anyone?

Here's the YouTube video made by Dennis.

I've looked at MadMedic's video as well.  

Hell, I even resorted to reading the freaking Komodo Kamado manual and I'm completely bumfuzzeled!

I'm at the point of blaming the motor's female end as I can't imagine that KK has an out of spec drive shaft!

Kerri - in both of my "Care Packages" that came with Beauty! and TheBeast there is the shaft that I see in the video Dennis shot.  And three springs.  I'm thinking that I need to call Dennis, find out if OneGrill was supposed to send the shaft, and then call OneGrill and get them high behind this.  

I'll keep everyone posted.  

Damn the luck!  I'm just gonna have to eat steak this evening!  When life gives you lemons, buy some vodka and make some LeninAde!

• Like 1

Its been awhile since I ordered my One Grill roti and motor but I ordered it for my KK and it fit, both sides, without issue...no force fitment required.  However I did have to get creative with spacer washers on the KK bracket side as the motor and shaft did not sit in alignment with the KK receptacle/rotating bushing.  

• Like 1

Its been awhile since I ordered my One Grill roti and motor but I ordered it for my KK and it fit, both sides, without issue...no force fitment required.  However I did have to get creative with spacer washers on the KK bracket side as the motor and shaft did not sit in alignment with the KK receptacle/rotating bushing.

Dstr8 - I had some alignment issues as well. I had to tun the motor upside down to get the shaft in line with the hole in my RHS of the KK.

I'm wondering if there isn't a conflict between standards, i.e. metric and US measurements. I'll ask Dennis on Monday.