GoFrogs91

Smoking Wood Preferences

Here are my current favorites:

For beef: mesquite, red oak, red wine barrel staves, bourbon barrel staves (the barrel staves are white oak)

For anything else: pecan, peach, cherry, apple

All of the above can be found at Fruita Wood, with the exception of the red wine barrel staves.

Have tried the following and didn't really care for them: grape wood, mahogany, maple. Some others like them, but I wasn't crazy about the flavor profile.

Wild mountain mahogany is wonderful for pork. Its completely different than the red color mahogany most are familiar with; its harder than oak and burns hot like coal.

I lived in Nevada for 17-years and had ample supply. AFAIK its not commercially available but highly recommended if you can source it.

As I have often posted, big, big fan of Fruita. Another source is Hawgeyes BBQ, here in IA. 

My current inventory is Red Oak, Hickory, Mesquite, Pecan, and Maple  for hardwoods. Cherry, Peach, Apple, Alder, Grape vines, Sassafras, and Bourbon and Wine barrel staves for "fruit" woods. Bought the sassafras for grins, never did much with it. Can't say that it's anything special. Grape and Alder is used exclusively for fish. 

On 4/25/2015 at 7:08 AM, dstr8 said:

Wild mountain mahogany is wonderful for pork. Its completely different than the red color mahogany most are familiar with; its harder than oak and burns hot like coal.

I lived in Nevada for 17-years and had ample supply. AFAIK its not commercially available but highly recommended if you can source it.

Interesting, I have never heard of this wood.  Do you have another name for it?

I know in the West the hardest wood I have encountered in Madrone, then the various species of Oak and then there is Pepperwood, sometimes called Myrtle but never heard of the wood you mentioned.  What sort of environment was it found in?

Mountain Mahogany is a wild wood tree found in the high desert regions of the Great Basin and in most western states.   More about it here:  http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/cercocarpus_ledifolius.shtml

It is like iron wood and burns at least as hot & long as hickory.   Valley Oak is nice because its very plentiful throughout California and certainly a far cry better than burning pine for campfires, etc.,  but on the hardness scale isn't in the same league as MM.  

• Like 2

Now, are you guys using these nice woods, like Pecan, Cherry, Oak with a generic briquette or just using it in a smoke pot or cold smoker?

I know Manzanita burns very hot, as does Madrone and I would think a person should be careful about using that stuff so the firebox did not get to hot but I could be way off base in my thinking.

18 hours ago, Shuley said:

My FIL took down a pecan tree. Thats what I get for free so that is what I use. I also feel like it goes with everything so that is working to my advantage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pecan is my favorite wood for smoking for all things pork.  

I use KK coco & coffee char exclusively for all types of cooking sessions on the KK including low and slow with the CI pot filled with smoking wood.    If I find myself out of KK lump then typically source oak lump (Walmart).   But the CI pot will work with any briquet or lump.   

• Like 1