CeramicChef

We Take The KK Size For Granted!

I have a buddy in Stavanger, Norway, ask me about the KK line.  He wanted to get an idea for the relative sizes of the two KKs I have.  I took a few pics to given him an idea of what he cold expect.  

He's a single man and thinking that the KK BB 32" is what he wants when he throws a party every other month!   rolling.gif I had to tell him that to spend that kind of money for a large cook every 6-8 weeks was nonsense.  I've tried to steer him to the 23'Ultimate or the 19" Hi-Cap.  I've also told him that he may just want to wait for the 21" that's supposed to be out in the next few months.  

I took a few pics and sent them too him.  Many of those shots have been posted here and I don't want to repost them.  There are, however, a few new ones that hopefully can give you an idea of the difference in size between the 19" Hi-Cap, Beauty! and the 32" BB, TheBeast.

Here is my hand on the Top Hat vent of TheBeast and right nest to it the same shot on Beauty!

post-1637-0-46993700-1430336211_thumb.jp  post-1637-0-98210300-1430336248_thumb.jp

I find the difference striking.  MT hand easily can span the width of the Top hat on Beauty, my 19" Hi-Cap

Many people have asked how I clean out the ash from the KKs.  Here is a shot of the dust pan and brush I use on TheBeast leaning on the Top Hat vent of TheBeast.

post-1637-0-35272700-1430336332_thumb.jp

Not all that impressive, I know.  But to give you some perspective, here is that same dust pan and brush in the belly of TheBeast and loaded in Beauty!

post-1637-0-19548200-1430336532_thumb.jp   post-1637-0-43929300-1430336551_thumb.jp

There is no way I'm using that dustpan and brush to clean out the ash from Beauty!  I use a much smaller dust pan and brush for that.  Also notice how small the dust pan and brush look in the picture on the left?  That's because it is so much further away from the bottom of the kamado.  TheBeast is quite deep!

Finally, here is a picture of the difference in size in baking stones between Beauty! and TheBeast.  There is a good 6" on either side of the baking stone meant for Beauty!

post-1637-0-20725900-1430336696_thumb.jp

Every time I look at those two cookers, I'm struck by how small Beauty! looks in comparison to TheBeast.  But then I have to remember that the KJ Classic, Large BGE, etc. the basic models of just about every line of kamados is 18".  Beauty is 19" and she is small in the KK lineup!  Heck, ckreef's 16.5" Table Top is only an inch and a half smaller than the basic entry kamado for most manufacturers.  And that little Table Top ckreef has weighs just about as much as the larger 18" kamados, if not more!

Simply put KK's are BIG. The big one is big and the little one's are big.

tiny - you are quite right!  People see only the price tag and don't take into account everything they get.  My 19" Hi-Cap is larger than the entry level Large BGE, the Kamado Joe Classic, the Vision line, etc.  Then you start adding on things that tome standard with the KK that is ala carte pricing elsewhere, and the KK begins to look really affordable.  

Never thought I'd say that, but now that I think about it it's true!

Somewhere on the forum I posted a picture of a whole packer brisket AND 9 racks of ribs cooking in my 23....

I believe it was close to 50 pounds of meat.

Notwithstanding, I still want a 32 or a 48 :headbang:

mk1 - I think I remember seeing that here when I was thinking about buying TheBeast.  In fact, that shot made me step back and rethink buying TheBeast.  I actually considered a 23" Ultimate for a couple of minutes, and then saner heads prevailed!  

mk1 - my 32", TheBeast, is simply the best kamado and cooker I've ever owned.  You'll not regret  a 32" for a single moment.  If you do BIG parties on a regular basis like yours truly, a 32" certainly makes life easy!  Heck, even on a week night cook for just SWMBOI and me, being able to stage veggies, bread, dessert, and the entree works like a charm.  TheBeast is the most versatile cooker I've ever used.  And I'll tel you another thing ... TheBeast has made me a MUCH better cook than I ever was.  Everything is so much easier on a KK than on the competition.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.