Sandpine

19" table top and 21" comments welcome

Hi, we'd love to get a 23" KK, but the Canadian $ is taking a beating right now, would love to hear forum members' experiences with a 19" table top or 21".  Are there things that you can do on a 23" that you can't do on the others, such as using a charcoal basket divider?  We'd never normally be cooking for more than 10 people....would a 19" or 21" roast an 18lb turkey?  Thanks for any comments!

I know what you mean about the Canadian dollar. It is killing me too. I've had a 21 inch on order and it is on a ship heading my way to Nova Scotia. The 21 inch has a high top where the 23 inch does not so that will give a lot more height to get a big chicken/turkey in for roasting. I don't know how many 21s are out there yet as it is just new, perhaps Dennis might be your best bet for the answer to your question. :icon_smile:

Just a note on the 23".

It hold large turkeys just fine on the main rack.

We put upwards of 30# birds on it.

the high tops give you a smaller cooker capable of cooking items that previously only fit well on the 23".

We have the 19.5" and 23".

use them both constantly.

Many thanks MacKenzie, we'd been looking at BGE etc but as soon as we heard about the KKs and saw the website its been a question of 'how can we get one?!'

I don't think there's ever been a case of "buyer's remorse" with a KK!! You will love yours when it finally arrives. As Tom Petty sings, "The waiting is the hardest part."

I have a 19", and a 23", and the 23" has way more room available. That said, the 19" is surprisingly big, it has room that other grills its size doesn't have. On a day to day basis, and if you told me it's the only grill I can have, I would be perfectly happy. If you're concerned about available room, don't be, its actually larger than other brand's large models.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1^

The 19" Hi-Cap is larger than the basic BGE and the KJ Classic.  I didn't realize that until I really started looking at what others had to show.  When I decided to get something smaller than TheBeast, I originally thought I'd get a 23 ... until I realized how big it is by looking at Wilbur's hot dog cook.  I couldn't wait for the 21" and after talking with Dennis, he pointed me in the direction of the 19.  What a great selection!  It's perfect for the week night cooks of a couple of burgers, chops, filets, etc.  When the GrandMunchkins join us, I fire up TheBeast, well, I tell them to go fire him up.  And they are really good at it!  

The Ladies are really good with both Beauty! & TheBeast.  Beauty!, the 19" Hi-Cap is a joy to cook on.  She is easy on lump, really maintains temps quite well, and can hold a good sized pork butt no problem.  I'd have absolutely no problem putting a good sized turkey on her, i.e. 20 lbs or so.  She can easily accommodate a couple racks of ribs or 4-5, maybe 6 steaks for a few friends over during the week.  

I find my 19", Beauty!, the perfect complement TheBeast.  I have absolutely no problem recommending the 19" for small (a couple of burgers, chops, files, etc.) to medium (something like 4-8 people, maybe 10 max) sized cooks.  You can do a big butt on a 19" no problem, you can cook 3 racks laid out not he main and the upper grate, you can cook a medium sized packer brisket on the main and another on the upper grate, yo've got thermometer probe ports and the 19" can spin meat on a rotisserie basket.

I really think that for a family of 4 or so the 19" could be an everyday cooker.  It's small enough to really get cooks done in a hurry, i.e. sears, and large enough to entertain up to about 12 folks.  I find my 19" to be very versatile.  I'm glad Dennis recommended it.  It's been a wonderful addition to my patio.  

• Like 1

This is great information. I am still new to my 21 but really think the smaller size is in our future too. I really just realized from reading this, that I can use the 2nd tier rack (going down) by flipping it over and stacking it on top of the main grate. 

OK, Now how to use it. hehe.

Thanks,

Rick

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.