bryan

Things only get better

My Komodo Kamado has been active since the summer of 08. Still waiting for a problem. If this one doesn't get sick just when will the ones being sold now have a problem. There has not been a year go by  That Dennis has not made great changes. Thanks Dennis for a great product. Best purchase I ever made. I am still using your Komodo Kamado at least twice a week. Now that summer is here the use goes up. Thanks Dennis Thanks for being you. I am one happy customer.

• Like 1

Good to hear that in seven years you haven't had a problem (not that I'd expect one), especially with that much use. I'm about to take the plunge later this summer and expect a lifetime of great cooks.

The only problem is picking the grandkid to leave it to. When I divide price by years its a good deal that gets better every year. I did replace a gasket last year I dont see that as a problem. I think it was around $20 and 5 minutes. You will not be disapointed. Are you grilling now?

My Komodo Kamado has been active since the summer of 08. Still waiting for a problem. If this one doesn't get sick just when will the ones being sold now have a problem. There has not been a year go by That Dennis has not made great changes. Thanks Dennis for a great product. Best purchase I ever made. I am still using your Komodo Kamado at least twice a week. Now that summer is here the use goes up. Thanks Dennis Thanks for being you. I am one happy customer.

Bryan,

Purchased my first (still only have one but would like to add a table top within the next 12 months) about a year ago. No problems from me and not expecting any. My only regret is that like you I only get to fire it up two to three times a week. Man I wish I could fire this thing up every day of the week! The stresses of life just seem to fade away and time slows down when I sit out back and watch the smoke come from my Komodo.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I use a Weber Q grill most of the time, a 14" charcoal camping grill on occasion, a Dutch oven in the winter, and an Anova sous vide circulator weekly. But I don't have the ability to smoke low and slow whatsoever. I'm exchanging ideas with Dennis on the 21" gas design and hope to be the first owner of that model. The burner and heat deflectors/drip guard design is challenging to say the least.

I'm exchanging ideas with Dennis on the 21" gas design and hope to be the first owner of that model. The burner and heat deflectors/drip guard design is challenging to say the least.

Sounds interesting. What more can you tell us? Care to share any of your Weber recipes?

I'll let Dennis chime in when he is ready to share more design details, but my personal goal with the gas addition is to enhance the versatility of the KK platform. I brought up the idea of using laser cut stainless steel plates to Dennis. You could vary the slit size for each type of food. Large for meat, medium for veggies, thin for fish, and a solid griddle. Each grate could be either full size, or half size, allowing you to mix and match. Imagine frying eggs and home fries on the left griddle while grilling a steak on the right grate. Who doesn't like steak and eggs for a weekend breakfast? With gas, you could control the temperature of each side independently, and be ready to cook in 5 minutes. Do you have any specific use cases where gas would be a nice option?

• Like 1

Biglazy23 - What cooks are you doing? Anything you need to know about. I probably don't have your answers but someone here will.

Pizza has been one of the most challenging. I'm gluten free so just finding a good pizza crust was challenging. Second was getting the top to cook at the speed as the bottom. We are just about there... Sweet spot seems to be having the KK around 450 to 475.

c0f949b6e1d745eedf08f1b8d9abe2de.jpg

Next up is a brisket cook Friday. I posted separately about using some of the leftovers on Saturday to make burgers. Pressure is on for Friday - I can ruin two meals with one!

c04577b6797922fab94e7c2bd821fa89.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Nice job on the pizza and good luck on that brisket.

Couple of pizza tips - for a thin crust, consider cooking one side of the crust without toppings (plain) to just get it browned. Then flip it over and put your toppings on the cooked side and return to the KK, uncooked side down. Second, put your pizza stone on the upper grate and make sure to heat soak your grill for at least an hour to get the dome nice and saturated. This really turns the KK into a pizza oven. 

• Like 1

I use a Weber Q grill most of the time, a 14" charcoal camping grill on occasion, a Dutch oven in the winter, and an Anova sous vide circulator weekly. But I don't have the ability to smoke low and slow whatsoever. I'm exchanging ideas with Dennis on the 21" gas design and hope to be the first owner of that model. The burner and heat deflectors/drip guard design is challenging to say the least.

I just took delivery of my non-gas 21" model, and being a charcoal griller all my life, I don't think I'll miss having the gas option. But because of guys like you pushing and helping Dennis to continue to innovate, everyone benefits from having the options THEY want in a grill like this. I fully expect I will be ordering another, larger capacity KK at some point, and by then I imagine the gas option will be available across the line. At which point I may have matured enough as a griller (grown outside my comfort zone) to appreciate the added flexibility you're after. So thanks to all of you innovators out there who are taking the time to improve an already outstanding product.

So that's where my 21 inch went. ;)  I hope you are enjoying it. BTW you are going to love the difference in the taste of food cooked over lump. :D  :D  :D

Lol, sorry! I think he can make more. :tongue3:  I have been using a BGE for the past 5 years, so I've been in the lump / ceramic camp for a while now. But I'm looking forward to experiencing the benefits of refractory cooking in a truly sealed vessel. I'll post my impressions and pics later today, because I don't want to take away from the OP.