BigLazy23

Smoked brisket burger?

It is just my wife and I for most meals so we try to make the most of all our leftovers.  We love doing chili with leftover brisket.  For July 4th our family is getting together and making a "non-conventional" burger (i.e., not just a ground beef) so I am thinking of smoking a brisket later this week and using some of the leftovers to make a burger (I know... I'm not very adventurous).  I wish I could remember the TV show a while back but I swear one of the restaurants cooked up a mouth-watering burger using as one of the ingredients smoked brisket and ground beef.  Anyone tried this?  I am definitely concerned about having a dry burger with the brisket already having been cooked once, particularly since my better half won't eat a burger any way other than well done.

Thoughts/feedback very much appreciated.  I am certainly open as well to alternate suggestions on what we should cook up.

Took a little googling, but here's a recipe that actually uses smoked brisket (most of the recipes were just grinding raw brisket in with the chuck to make the meat for the patty).

http://www.leavemetheoink.com/grilling-2/burgerzilla/

Let us know how it comes out!

Thanks Tony! This is great and was also a good/funny read. From what I remember also very close to what was on the television show.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Put the brisket flat on around 10am (just couldn't force myself out of bed early this morning given its a holiday - sort of). Wife's already looking at restaurant options for tonight's dinner when this cook goes way I to the night.

Went with a Dizzy Pig recipe for the rub, which is equal parts DP Cow Lick and turbinado sugar. Struggled with fat side up or down and ultimately went with... Fat side up since that was how it was sitting on the plate before transferring to the grill.

4badc4f254e27d2389157bf661baf331.jpg

Smoked the brisket flat on Friday. Almost a year in on my KK and first brisket cook - what can I say, it's a scary cut. Cooked until the thickest part of the flat registered 195... Next time I'll stick the probe somewhere thinner as the thinnest parts were around 200 when I pulled it. Oh, and start earlier. Five pound flat I started at 10am but we ended up eating take out for dinner as we waited for the cook to finish. I had a fee cuts before bed - great taste and the fatty end tasted like candy that I could eat all day.

87cc8e3bc6b7d5acff6259c46158c318.jpg

a6236b82c155a520e00763afd9a9e0ed.jpg

Brisket was meant for making burgers on the 4th. Unfortunately no photos as we were in a hurry - with the brisket burgers we made beer battery onion rings. Tasted great!

Also made a smoked sweet tea Margarita on a Chris Lilly recipe. Was okay - might have been a little too complex taste for me.

1683ccdce11f6147738029c7e344d7f2.jpg

6b2d8f37315e4defa4588765ace2e908.jpg

a8b57837356518e7c5fece630d3f540e.jpg

Hey, they don't call burnt ends, Meat Candy, for nothing!! Doesn't get much better than that. 

Your IT finishing temps seem OK to me, especially since you were grinding up into burgers. I always shoot for 200F - 205F for briskets, chuck roasts, etc. I've always thought that at 195F they are a tad chewy. YMMV.

Interesting looking cocktail.