Elaine

Exciting day when your kids and grandkids are born but a the day your KK arrives is .........fantastic!

My new 23' KK was delivered and unpacked today and it is as impressive as I knew it would be! I am very excited to start to learn and have fun cooking on it.

The service, from the initial contact with Dennis, to the delivery in Victoria , Canada was great and everyone has been so helpful and pleasant to deal with!

Looking forward to good times and good food!

Elaine

Ok so the next steps are

Put all the stuff in the grill in the right place and figure out how to use it?

Do I do a high burn before my initial cook?

I want to do either a brisket or beef ribs for my first cook? Maybe?

I wifi not have my Amazon CoCo for about a week should I get some flavoured wood as well as the charcoals?

Should I get some briquette starters?

If you are rolling you eyes and thinking I know nothing about this ...,.., you are right!

But I'm determined to learn.... Baby steps!

You don't have to do a high burn first, but if you do, you can still cook. The venting process has nothing to do with the inside of the grill, so cook away. I recommend though, venting the grill while not cooking, because the attention should be on the grill, not the cook. Do you have the high temp instructions? If so, follow them, if not, let dennis know, he'll get them to you.

You can do a lo/slo immediately, that's up to you. I recommend pork butts, they're the single most forgiving thing you can cook.

I use a torch to start my fire, sometimes cubes can leave a foul odor, that's hard to get rid of.

No one is rolling their eyes, we've all been there.

Robert

Thanx Robert.

I will ask Dennis for the high temp instructions and will follow them. Is this the same process as you refer to as venting the grill?

I will get a torch and forget the cubes as I do not want any chemical odour.

Is a brisket considered a lo slo cook?

I take it there is no simple manual for the grill but rather trial and error. Would like to understand the basic types of cooks and what is involved in each? Does the BGE or any other grill have a manual that would be helpful to a KK

Appreciate the patience and encouragement I hope I will find on this forum!

Elaine

Yes, the high temp and venting are one in the same. Basically, you want to get your grill to about 450°, stay there for about 30 mins, the 50° every 30 mins, until you start to get the paint smell. Once you get that, you can stop there, and let your grill cook the stuff off.

Brisket is a lo/slo, you seem to want to do beef. That's fine, but consistant temp is more critical with beef. If this is what you choose, get your kk to temp, stable, for an hour before putting the brisket on, you should be fine. Do you have a meat thermometer? Not totally necessary, but very nice to have. You want briskets to be in the 200° internal range, probe tender being the deciding factor. Probe tender is a sharp object going into your brisket like a hot knife into warm butter.

Robert

I take it there is no simple manual for the grill but rather trial and error. Would like to understand the basic types of cooks and what is involved in each?

The KAMADO Smoker & Grill Cookbook by Chris Grove

ISBN 978-1-61243-363-9

This is the single best book I have seen for new kamado enthusiasts. It covers 52 different kamado techniques (along with recipes). Very easy to read with a lot of pictures. Although all this information can be obtained off the Internet it compiles it for you. It covers 95% of all techniques you would ever need and uses the current kamado lingo.

You won't be disappointed with it. When I obtained a copy I already knew most everything in the book and still felt it was an invaluable resource and some awesome recipes. Try the stuffed French toast. My family's favorite French toast recipe of all time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This site contains what you need, Get real good with the search ability.

I agree with ckreef on the book, but there is more contained here. Plus you have some outstanding Komodo Kamado Chefs standing by 24/7 to help find answers to any question that you may have.

The nice part is they all will comment as to how they handle the problem.

Again I suggest that you search through the years and years of our Komodo Kamado Chefs cooking experiences, suggestions, directions and recipes done on a Komodo Kamado.

The best ceramic cooker on earth. No brag Just Fact!

Elaine I just did my high heat burn in and Dennis said fill your charcoal basket full and get your temps upto 500f-550f and keep them there. It takes a while for the KK to heat soak. You will smell like an acrylic/paint smell that normal. When you can't smell that smell anymore your done. Inspect your KK for spots in the grout the have a white residue thats where it vented, look to make sure the grout sealed up, if not use some of the grout to fill in.

I agree about he torch, I've been using one for years and one tank will last a long long time.This is the model I have  Bernzomatic - TS4000KC- trigger start torch with MAP gas which is better than propane because it operates upside down where the propane tends to go out if the tank is held upside down. I also have a Fat Boy tank because it is more stable than the taller tank. Elaine, this is going to be quite the fun hobby you have picked up. :):):)

I accidentally left my torch at my sister's house while on vacation. For the past few days I've been using cotton balls and alcohol. Although they work, I miss my MAPP torch. It's just easier.

My sister is going to pop the torch head in the mail. Hopefully it's on its way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.