LarryR

What you cooking this weekend 7/25-26?

Tomahawk

UGH...those Chinese pigs better taste good for that price

Never tried to get a butt as the local meat is... erm... well... just google "6000 dead pigs in Shanghai river" and you'll see what I mean!

USA imported pork costs an arm and a leg as it can only be hormone free organic (any pork with hormones is banned from import)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ckreef - what was the total time on smoke for your salt? How much salt did you smoke?

I used to smoke salt a few years back. I made a contraption using porch screening, some 1x1 s and a couple of hinges. It put a lot of smoke on a fair amount of salt in about an hour.

I also found that people are willing to pay absolutely ridiculous amounts of money for smoked salt, about the equivalent of $30 per pound!

ckreef - what was the total time on smoke for your salt? How much salt did you smoke?

I used to smoke salt a few years back. I made a contraption using porch screening, some 1x1 s and a couple of hinges. It put a lot of smoke on a fair amount of salt in about an hour.

I also found that people are willing to pay absolutely ridiculous amounts of money for smoked salt, about the equivalent of $30 per pound!

I searched beforehand and saw your post about the screen but I just went simple with this setup.

I poured the salt into the pan and spread it out until about 1/4" thick (no measurement). 4 hours with Apple chips followed by 2 hours with cherry chunks. Next time I'll just use chunks.

This was my first try at smoked salt. I learned a little and next batch I'm sure will come out darker, with less time.

Sounds about right - 5oz of applewood smoked sea salt is $10.99 at Salt Works - http://www.saltworks.us/yakima-applewood-smoked-sea-salt.html#.VbPQM7NViko

If you thought you'd actually go through 5 lbs, it's only $32! http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=545#.VbPRR7NViko

Here is my first KK pizza,  rotisserie chicken, mushroom, onion, fresh mozzarella, Monterey Jack with an olive oil sauce.

Spread some of the oil sauce over the dough-

RShmxbS.jpg

Topping added, mushrooms, onions, chicken and fresh moz.

YghQ3xd.jpg

Loaded and ready for the grill which is at 525 F.

vVVBBAB.jpg

Baked for 11 mins.

i6gSewn.jpg

Plated.

vBU0ejE.jpg

Bottom Crust.

ejbf3es.jpg

post-249-0-65398500-1437920641_thumb.jpg

A bit disorienting cooking on my friend's off-brand K5, but we're making it work. We figure The Piggery http://www.thepiggery.net/pigblog/ sells these quarter round tree trunk butts to save the rest for their sausage work. In any case, "Pork Henge" works for fitting 25 lbs of butt into a small space. Preheating for 12 hours before rebuilding the fire and adding the meat, smoke pot was a useful step.

• Like 1

Can't tell from the picture, but how good a shape was that POSK (any major cracks, any tiles missing)? 

The K5 is in surprisingly good shape, considering it winters in Ithaca. No cracks, one missing tile. Sacramento vintage, it depended what worker you got, as tile application involved unregulated application of a lot of white adhesive goop.

My friend rarely uses it. I pulled out six inches of wet ash, then ran it 12 hours before putting in the butt.

I beat my K7 to death before buying a KK. The K7 sees some use in my neighbor's yard, NO tiles. My KK takes the same abuse I gave the K7, and it basically looks brand new. Kudos to Dennis.

Here yah, Syz. I had one of the first Indo POSK-7s, so it held up better than the later ones, especially the Mexi's. It was about 8 yo before the top hat collar finally crumbled. Fortunately, I'd already ordered my KK and was just waiting for it to arrive. A buddy has the K7 now. He patched it up and used it a lot before he got an electric smoker -  :smt103.