Pale Rider

Heylo from NorCal!

:hello1: HURRAY! 

Now for those pics of the virgin cook. What's on the menu???

We were discussing that over dinner last night. While I am a low & slow guy, we are thinking of a combo chicken & ribs, or a TriTip for a little more instant gratification. going to do the burn-in/vent this morning.

Speaking of which, do folks do their break-in burn with or without the grills?

On my burn-in, I have a fair bit of tile bubbling and vapor venting. It doesn't appear to be having any trouble escaping, but it does look as though I will have several creases to repair with grout. 

I assume I want to make sure to press all tiles back into place prior to cooling down as the manual states, which I have been doing. But when is the ideal time to grout? I would expect that to be when the grill has cooled down.

From the email I received:

If there is venting clean the white residue and then close the hole/vent with the supplied grout by cutting a small corner off the bag and then folding it over and taping it closed. Rub a very small amount into the vent area.. it can be cleaned up with water later but clean it up in about 8-12 hours.

​Pretty much the same thing from the PDF file:

There can be bubbling which leaves white residue (this can be removed with 409 or simple green and a white glass scratch proof scrubbing sponge) In the places where it vents it’s best to seal these holes later to prevent moisture from re- entering. Seal the hole/vent with the supplied grout by cutting a small corner off the bag and then folding it over and taping it closed. Rub a very small amount into the vent area — it can be cleaned up with water later but let it dry about 8-12 hours 

Thanks Poochie, and I interpret "later" to mean "when cooled down." I think it would be good to clarify optimum grout conditions. I am expecting the correct answer is "cool." Also, I did not receive a bag of grout. I received a tube with a cap, that contains a substance that is similar in color to the grout of my KK. Like everything else, it is [excellently] product coded to my specific KK. Sounds liker another QC improvement.

I experienced a fair bit of venting around the firebox girdle of my KK. Most behaved exactly as expected, but right in the front, two tiles, both with extremely thin lines of grout between them and the adjacent tiles, actually popped out when i pressed nearby tiles back into place. Most of the KK's grout is at least â…›" to 3/16' though it naturally varies because of the tile shapes. but these two tiles have grout around a large part of their circumference of less than 1/32". I think that could make them more prone to popping. I haven't yet inspected all the tiles post-burn, but will see this morning.

i shared some photos and a short video with Dennis last night, and he replied very promptly. We have a call scheduled later today. I just want to make sure that nothing about the burn, or how i re-grout some of the tiles affects the integrity of the acrylic "hide." 

I had a group of maybe 5 tiles that all lifted up a little as a group. I did as Dennis instructed. But it did take a few high heat cooks before they finally settled back down for good. I just kept checking them and pushing them back down with every high heat cook. Now they are settled and don't rise up anymore.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be too quick on adding more groute until you are positive all the out gassing has occurred.

I had a group of maybe 5 tiles that all lifted up a little as a group. I did as Dennis instructed. But it did take a few high heat cooks before they finally settled back down for good. I just kept checking them and pushing them back down with every high heat cook. Now they are settled and don't rise up anymore.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't be too quick on adding more groute until you are positive all the out gassing has occurred.

Agreed on that last part especially. Dennis and I had a good discussion around this same issue. Although I burned for almost three hours at a very steady 510-520 range, and had a fair bit of outgassing, i may not actually be done with the process yet. So, I am doing another sustained 510 burn right now.  Dennis also shared some specifics about the acrylic hide of the pebble tile finish, and how it behaves a bit differently from the square tiles. He also shared some additional detail on the steps they take in Indonesia to cure the inside and outside, and how, despite all their efforts, there is a part of this process that ultimately can only be finished when the destination owner conducts these burns. While it doesn't offer me much guidance when someone says "never had a problem,' the reality is that these are handmade products, They are made to high quality standards, but like any human-made device that is subject to varying times of making, shipping exposures, storage conditions, etc., the outcome of their first user is likely to vary a bit. Dennis has given me sufficient guidance that I feel comfortable with the outcome. 

Tony B is right: our respective experiences will vary. The fact that Dennis tends to get all this feedback, and gets a chance to apply it to his learning/making curve, and then issue rather detailed guidance about the problems, suggests that they are neither unique nor universal. Just as important, they have the CEO's proper attention.

BTW, on my second burn today [no burn yesterday; it was 106 outside], I used a Wagner Digital Heat Gun, rather than the Looftlighter. Fire was underway in two minutes, 5x faster than the Looft. Ergonomics of the Wagner are superior as well. Because users of each have reported long-term reliability issues with both products [though substantially less with the Wagner], I plan to keep trying both. My Benzomatic 8000 arrives today for more torch fun. 

Rider - I use a MAPP Torch for lighting my lump. If I'm really in a major hurry, I hit the lit lump with a heat gun and turbo that bad boy up to searing speed in mere minutes.

I agree with your take on seasoning our KKs. The real beauty of every KK is that they are indeed very unique. And it's in learning our KKs idiosyncrasies that we take real pleasure and learn our craft. Both Beauty! & TheBeast cook so differently from the 23" I cooked on. All 3 have unique "personalities" but all have produced some of the finest food my guests and I have tasted. What fun!

I have a Wagner heat gun too. I used to use it on a K Joe I had and it would light the lump fast. I have a weed burner, Weber cubes, the Wagner gun, and some other cardboard looking starter bars. One way or the other, I'll get it lit. I used the weed burner on my offset pit to light wood and charcoal to get it started and it worked like a champ. Harbor Freight is your friend

You said it CC. Each is endearingly unique. As I first posted when I joined, I have nothing but affection for my old RJK7, and could not cal it a POS, even though it is nowhere near the 32BBKK in quality, design capability, etc. I still enjoyed several wonderful years cooking on it and, more importantly, the fellowship of good food and company it helped to produce. I expect many more years of great company and food with the 32BBKK.

I am already contemplating the possible addition of a 23 and perhaps even a 19 or 16 table top, for those times when it's the two of us, and all we want is a small meal, or maybe just a couple of steaks.

Damn straight, Poochie, though I confess to being an Amazon devotee over HF, with which I had some unsatisfactory experiences. On some items, just have to be clear on who the real seller is, and make sure one is familiar with local prices. The convenience for me is beguiling. When I was still in the immediate Bay Area, they were cranking up same day delivery. And while I have moved a bit away, I still get 1 and 2-day for no extra charge. Hard to resist. Flame on!

Although I do not own a KK yet... 2 are on order, I am known for having multiple kamado grills.  I coined it the #trifecta

I can't not tell you just how amazing it is to have multiple kamado's at your disposal.  Two temp cooks are amazing and the room and versatility is outstanding!!

I will add a 16" to my line up next year when my budget allows for it!!

Bosco, no doubt. I am on the fence right now between 19 tall or Table Top. And the reality is that I cannot make a decision until I get the outdoor kitchen lans done. We shall see.

In the meantime, second burn produced much less swelling of the acrylic hide, and only the most minuscule of venting. One more burn, and I am probably done with that process.

One more question: I have the teak side tables for now, until my 32 gets moved over to the outdoor kitchen. I have used a variety of oils and protectants for teak over the years, and I have seen reference to something Dennis might recommend. Any favorites here for the side tables, given their exposure to unusual heat levels?

Cheers!

Rider, I have a 19" table top, it's very capable. I went with it because I had already designed the spot in my outdoor kitchen for an egg I already had. When I was finishing up, there was no way I was letting an egg share the same space as my bronze 23", so I got the 19" table top. Now, if you're building space, or if I had to do it over again, I would have a free standing something, and not a table top. It's a great grill mind you, but two free standing grills is what I would prefer.

Robert