Pale Rider

Heylo from NorCal!

Agreed on that last part especially. Dennis and I had a good discussion around this same issue. Although I burned for almost three hours at a very steady 510-520 range, and had a fair bit of outgassing, i may not actually be done with the process yet. So, I am doing another sustained 510 burn right now.  Dennis also shared some specifics about the acrylic hide of the pebble tile finish, and how it behaves a bit differently from the square tiles.

Can you elaborate on this?

I had a few areas of bubbles with Smaug. Over time, they have pretty much all resolved, even some areas on the back side towards the bottom that I didn’t notice until after a few months.

One thing that I think makes the pebble finishes different from the square tiles is that it appears that there’s more grout involved with the pebble tiles, which is to be expected since the pebble tiles don’t line up nice and even with each other. That could easily lead to differences in the break in process.

You pretty much hit it on the head wilbur: the amount of grout, the irregularity of the tiles, etc. One thing I found curious about the grout is that it serves as both adhesive and grout. I have a bunch of tile projects going on around the house right now, and of course, on regular tile, grout is not the material used to adhere the tile to the subsrtrate. Here, the grout that Dennis supplies, at least for the pebbles, is both adhesive and grout. I haven't seen any of the square tile models, so I don't know how they differ. In any case, this tends to increase the likelihood that groups of the pebble tiles will delaminate [like the bubble you describe], rather than the right angle tiles which tend to pop up, if at all, individually at their corners.

My second burn produced significantly less delamination, and only one spot of solvent outgassing. I only had to grout one tile to replace a tile that popped and broke in two. One more burn, and I will start patching the little razor creases and nail holes I made to assist the outgassing. The entire surface cooled nicely in place with almost zero sign of unevenness. Plan to do first cook tonight, likely a prosaic combination of sausages and bratwurst due to time constraints. But I did go to the butcher shop today and picked up some TriTip, ribeye, strips, ribs, and bone-in butt for later this week. I've seen a lot intriguing TriTip recipes and need to pick one.

PR, I have the teak side tables as well and don't want the gray patina. I use this teak oil that I got at Home Depot. It results in a more lacquered finish than how the tables arrive.

Sorry the lighting doesn't show it that well. The first couple of applications really soaked in and I had to reapply within a couple of weeks. This last application has really held up well.

0512c378356da7c55de522af254debda.jpg

e0f32fb413800f0c19e729f24c5cd525.jpg

PR, I have the teak side tables as well and don't want the gray patina. I use this teak oil that I got at Home Depot. It results in a more lacquered finish than how the tables arrive.

Sorry the lighting doesn't show it that well. The first couple of applications really soaked in and I had to reapply within a couple of weeks. This last application has really held up well.

Thanks! I have an old can of the Watco that I have had for years, and used on my interior teak. But I plan to try this stuff, which receives good reviews on Amazon. Just trying to decide between the light or the dark.

I agree I was going to post this request tonight. I would like to know more about this. I may video mine to help others later as I really do not understand this tile bubbling thing

I have video and pics of mine, and I think you are right Bosco. This sort of graphic info could help new owners recognize what to look for and how to handle it properly. Heck, k could start a new thread with that stuff myself.

please do!!

This process seems to be a bit intimidating but a guided section may be the ticket to walk you through it and the things to look for

All of the grills vary in how much solvent is left. The secret is to ramp up slowly. If you let the temp get away from you, that is when bad things can happen. I had bubbling in several places, but no tiles lifting. Being very experienced with Kamados, this will be a snap for you.