bosco

annoying new guy questions...

thanks guys!! 

I am so flipping excited.  I think it hasn't hit me yet, however, I think all of the calls and emails that I have been sending Dennis would suggest that I have reached crazy status!!!

Once I get notice they are in production I think my mind will explode!!!!

I appreciate the photo Wilbur, not sure that I would ever do more than 6 racks

Doing six racks was a learning experience for me. I’m not sure that I’ll ever do that again, either. ^_^

What was going on that day was that we had friends over for ribs. I was trying to guess how many racks we would need. I knew that I could eat a full rack of ribs whenever we went out for BBQ, and based my buying decision on that. What I didn’t count on was how much meatier ribs are when you get them from a butcher as opposed from a restaurant. We were using leftover rib meat for meals for days. ^_^

I've done as many as 8 racks on TheBeast and had some much more room it wasn't funny. I sent a couple of uncut racks home with folks that evening. Being the honest man he is, Dennis talked me out of the rib rack. Now I understand why! :lol:

Irrespective of size, I'm always amazed at how much food these KKs can cook at one fell swoop. Simply amazing.

yeah I think that I will skip it for now. 

I am sticking with the following items

1 baking stone

1 drip pan

1 spare charcoal basket

1 basket split

1 rotisserie 

I am only ordering 1 of each as I don't think that I will ever be in need of the same item for both.  This really helps reduce all of the extra storage

bosceaux - you are really wise to get that spare basket, especially if you plan on getting some Coconut Charcoal. I exclusively use Coconut char on my low-n-slow cooks. That's where it really shines. Having that extra basket certainly comes in handy. One basket for Coco Char and one for regular lump which i use for high temp cooks.

You'll also find the basket splitter very useful when doing smaller cooks. I particularly like the way it blocks off airflow and redirects it thru the lump. It's really great for week nite high temp sears.

Yeah, bosco, make sure you load up each pallet with maximum boxes of coco-char and/or coffee wood from Dennis. Most economical way you'll ever get coco-char.

I asked Dennis about getting coffee wood with my order and he said Canada won't allow the wood...thanks Canada customs. Have to see about getting sent to the USA and then to Canada.

I, for the life of me, can't understand some of these differences between us??? I thought our silly government was the most restrictive around about importing Ag products, but this one baffles me?? Canada has no coffee growing industry, so why the goofy restrictions on importing coffee wood????

My guess is the no untreated wood has to do with paranoia about foreign bugs getting imported on/in the wood that would then get loose in the wild becoming an invasive species.

I would say that is exactly the reason, and it’s not just paranoia. One only has to look at events like what the emerald ash borer has done to the ash tree population in North America to understand why these restrictions are in place.

It’s not just insects that can travel in untreated wood. Fungus can travel via the same route.