tomahawk66

One ticked off the bucket list: my ultimate cocktail

About a year back a friend who sells single malt whisky here in Shanghai, China took me to a great cocktail bar and introduced me to a rising star in the bar-tender world - Daniel An. After chatting for 10 minutes about the various merits of different tipples (for me it's single malts, bourbon, classic martini's and pink gin) he jumped behind the bar as if struck by divine inspiration and whipped up an impossible cocktail:

3542df71b1015005a107abe1eb8c9e32.jpg

Using Mescal, Rattenhouse rye, sweet vermouth, DOM and 2 bitters he created a twist on the New Orleans "Vieux Carre" that came out like a smoky Manhattan tempered with the honey of a fine bourbon and cut with the crispness of a martini and the lingering aftertaste of bitters...

It. Blew. My. Mind.

I asked him what it was called and he promptly named it after me: Oliver (my name) and twist for the twist on two cocktails: the Manhattan and the Vieux Carre (and because that was a pretty obvious choice!)

And so the Oliver Twist was born!

However due to the difficulty of getting good Mescal and the fact that Daniel had limited creative influence in the bar, it would be 12 months before I had the chance to drink this heavenly tonic again.

Daniel's rise was unstoppable, competing in barman competitions around the world, the kid for the impoverished boonies 6 hours drive outside of Shanghai did good and achieved his dream: opening his own bar with full creative control. A cozy and beautiful space in the heart of the old colonial former French concession, Monsieur An is free to follow his heart and create insanely good drinks.

I finally got to visit him after the place had been open 3 months and when he saw me he didn't even ask me what I wanted...

It's officially immortalized on his menu:

77d39bec3fdf926d0639f5903a0f5c8a.jpg

So I can now tick off "having a drink named after me" from my bucket list (although at 22 bucks a glass I'm not sure how often I'll drink it!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4