ckreef

A Short Dome Story

Background - I cooked on Akorns for a few years before buying a KK. The Akorn being insulated steel has a really lite dome.

The KK's hinge system makes it effortless to open the dome.

I've played around with other brand ceramic domes so I know a decent amount of effort is needed to open them.

Mrs skreef has only opened an Akorn and KK dome.

Onto the story - last weekend me and Mrs skreef were in a large outdoor kitchen store. Like usual I was walking around playing with ceramic Kamados. I opened the dome to a KJ classic. I then called Mrs skreef over and had her open the classic dome. She got it about 4" open, gave me a screwed up look and put it back down. After that little test she'll never want to cook on anything but a KK.

Bosco once your KK's arrive you will be truly amazed at how easy the domes open up. When I got my KK the dome was so kewl I played with the dome for 5 or 10 minutes before I finished unpacking everything - LOL

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 1

Dome is awesome considering how much it weighs opens and closes effortlessly.

Bosco wait till you feel the grids...they weight a ton. A 23" grid with the heat deflector is heavy to say the least. I can't imagine how heavy the 32" with heat deflector is, you may need you neighbor to help you lift it in and out...no joke.

I bet it is the click when you lock and unlock the lid, isn't it?

I like to hear that on the videos I've watched. No dollar bill test there.

The click is kewl for sure. Also the ability to let go of the handle when the dome is half way closed and the dome stays right where it's at without slamming shut.

Admittedly after months of heavy use my spring has loosened up slightly. Still effortless to open it up buy not fully automatic anymore. One day really soon I'm going to remove the back spring cover and tighten the spring ever so slightly (with the supplied wrench of course).

Will report back in a few days (probably this coming weekend) on how that procedure went.