JaxxQ

Resistance is Futile

Hi All

Im JaxxQ, I am another KJ owner that loves his Big Joe and Jr. and have been eyeing these beauties for some time, at first I thought no way was I going to shell out 5 to 8K for one of these grills, well  after following CC, Wilberpan, 5698K, ckreef and Bosco over at the KG forum I have come to the realization that resistance is futile, So now its decision time, I absolutely love the Metallic Bronze,  I just havent decided whether to get The beast or the Ultimate 23 with a 19"TT. Any thought guys

• Like 1

Hi, Jaxx.  Good to see you over here.

I went through the mind games as well, but for me, I'm going with the 23" first.  I really don't see having a need for the 32", but that's just me.

The Big Joe has been perfect for my larger grilling/smoking needs.  After some discussion on this forum, the added cooking shelves that the 23" includes will suit me just fine.

You might have a different opinion.  I've got the extender rack for the Big Joe, but I've only used that a couple of times.

I do, however, use both the Big Joe and the Jr. for several cooks at the same time.  I'll hang on to the Jr. until I can add to the KK collection WAY down the road - looking at the 19" for that purpose.  Heck, I haven't even ordered the first KK yet!!!  One day.  Just here to do some research and am green with envy saving a few bucks here and there. 

• Like 1

I currently have a Big Joe, Jr, and a Vision Classic M which works out great for large cooks, Jr. on appetizers, Classic M on Side dishes and the Big Joe does the rest, So Im thinking the Ultimate 23 can replace the BJ and the 19"TT could do the rest, But I really like the idea of having the Beast. Decisions Decisions

Welcome to the forum finally. We have had many good chats recently and I think that you are going to love you're decision to go with KK.

I have seen you're setup and it is prett awesome. As per our earlier conversation you have room for one stand up and two potential table top models.

So here is my thought. You initially told me that you love the beast. Get the beast!!! I have seen you're cooks and know that you will until is the heck out of it.

Order the 19" and add it to you're outdoor kitchen setup and put the Jr on the other end for now.

One thing that I really think that you will appreciate with the KK is that less is more. You have twice the cooking room in one cooker as you do on the big joe. You can eliminate a grill or two and not give up the realestate for cooking with the 19/32 combo. Maybe down the road you can add a griddle to where the Jr sat.

I am bias and think that the 23/32 is a great combo but also am aware that it will not fit in you're current setup as you don't have the room.

I truly feel that the 19/32 is going to be you're dream setup. Call Dennis ASAP and start making plans. The good news is that both the 19 and 32 are in stock in California so there will be no delay. Now you just need to start thinking accessories.

If you get the rotisserie for the 32 I'll link you the motor to buy.

Congrats again buddy you will be so happy with this purchase.

Everyone here always says the only regret that you will ever have is not buying sooner!!!

Call Dennis!!

• Like 1

JaxxQ,

I also have a 23" and am looking to get a 19" within the next 12 months to compliment it. We usually cook for 2-4 people and the 23" has PLENTY of real estate for us. Last November we even cooked a 34 pound turkey on it (which is deserving of its own story). Having two is great for being able to cook at two different Temps at the same time, but I'm sure you know this already with the selection of cookers you already own. That being said, I can appreciate wanting the king of kings and being the owner of a 32 "! I'd go with the 23" and 19" for the versatility, but if you plan on keeping all the others maybe 32" is the way to go since you already have the other sizes covered. Part of the fun is making that decision!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Wilbur he only has room for one stand up and two table top style grills. He has a permanent structure made for his outdoor kitchen.

One last thing bob. Remember this is not a round grill. It is really 32x22 so more oval. Dennis showed me some pics and although larger than standard kamados it really is comparable to any ha grill.

• Like 1

JaxxQ! Yes indeed, resistance is futile! Unfortunately, you can't have TheBeast as he likes his home on my patio! :lol: however, you can have any KK BB 32" Dennis has in stock!

TheBeast is a lot of cooker to fill for low and slow cooks. If you grill on a regular basis, then the 32's extra real estate comes in handy.

The 23 Ultimate can provide a lot of food for parties if you are cooking low and slow. I'm constantly amazed at what I've seen KKers here cook on the 23. Wilbur, Tinyfish, MacKenzie, etc. constantly amaze me with their cooks. I've never known any one here to run out of room on a 23 Ultimate, except if they are grilling and then it fills very quickly.

Note that I also have a 19" table top (Beauty!) for really quick cooks, i.e. the single chicken breast, hot dogs ( yeah, I do a couple of dogs at least once a week!) searing off a NY Strip, etc. I also like the ability of reserving Beauty! for kid duty during parties, desserts, pizzas, etc.

At the end of the day, the KK (or KK combination) that is right for you depends on how you cook the majority of the time. When I was considering buying a KK I found that conversations with Dennis helped me really clarify my thinking. Dennis will sell you the KK that makes the most sense for you and he'll help you determine what KK that is.

Welcome!

• Like 1

I just re read your first post, and my question is, are you considering a 23/19 combo, or a 32 alone, or a 32/something combo? If it's the 32 alone, I'd have to go with the 23/19 combo, which is what I have. The combo obviously gives more space, and versatility, but a 32/something combo, well, that's really cool!!! I LOVE the bronze by the way!

Resistance IS futile, and NO ONE can resist the POWER of the Dark Side!!!

I love that, two sci-fi references in one sentence!!

Robert

• Like 1

Welcome jaxx. I would say that the 23" will do most any low and slow you need. You have three levels of real estate to cook on, so I can't think of many cases where you would run out of room unless you are truly feeding an army. However, if you do a lot of large grilling meals, maybe the 32 is for you.

I have a 23" and it's great for me. I have a family of 3 and usually only grill for up to 8 people. That being said, there have been several times that I have had my son's soccer teammates and their families over for bbq with no problem. I am adding some flexibility with a 19" that just arrived in L.A this month.

Describe for everyone what type of cooks and for how many and you can get some good advice.

Benton

• Like 1

Welcome JaxxQ, nice to see you over here. My only real thought is two KK's are definitely better than one.

After recently selling my Akorns I am now down to my one KK and it sucks. Two many cooks that need multiple dishes cooked at different temps at the same time. Currently me and Mrs skreef is feverishly trying to complete our Bistro improvements so we can purchase a 19" TT to solve this problem.

• Like 1

I have a family of 6 which 2 of them are on their own so my cooks are for 2 to 8 people on most weekends, however during football season it can get a little crazy around here so I can end up cooking for 12-15  which I have no problem cooking with the grills I have now, Im pretty much leaning towards the 23/19 vs  just one 32 because with 2 grills It gives you the option for different temp setups.

ckreef, I hope you are taking pixs of the improvements so we can see what you are up to.:)

Mackenzie, we have been painting everyday this week.(priming first)and got a full day tomorrow to paint the final color.its seens a never ending project.but it will be well time spent since we love our space and spend all our time in it when we are home.

Welcome, jaxxQ.

Whatever you decide, you are going to love cooking on the KK. While your previous ceramic experience will come in handy, cooking on a KK is not like cooking on any other ceramic; but, the good news is that it's actually easier once you get the hang of it (vent settings, which grate level works best for which foods, direct/indirect). The Forum is a virtual encyclopedia of helpful posts that are easily searchable, OR be lazy like most of us and just ask - we'll be more than happy to answer any questions or give advice (even if unsolicited - LOL!) Like this one - based upon what you've posted, I think that you'll be happiest with a 23"/19" combo setup, rather than the solo BB 32. 

• Like 1