ckreef

Bistro Improvements Sneak Preview

As most of you know we are in the process of redoing our porch. Painted the railings, the bottom will be enclosed and the top half will be screened in.

Got the painting done, the staining done and the wood hung for the bottom. There is a bunch of trim work that needs to be installed (probably next weekend). Also don't mind the deck we are still undecided just what we are going to do with that.

It won't be long and we'll be ordering a 19" TT.

I don't have any before pictures - let's just say it was ugly. For 10 years I was a single parent dad and had other things to worry about and the look of the porch was at the very bottom of the list. Now that me and Mrs skreef are married - well life has changed a bit ;-)

8d63c24183ed3e9aa2ee48b6953cf0e8.jpg

I have one more improvement to show tonight (had to wait until dark).

We had to buy 300' of outdoor rope lighting to light up a path for an outdoor wedding (Mrs skreef's daughter). We bought 6 x 48' sections of clear white LED lighting. It rained and the wedding was moved to an indoor venue and the lighting never got used.

That's OK I needed some nice lighting to string up around the inside, top edge of the porch. I've tried a lot of different lighting configurations in the past but this is by far the best yet. Waterproof, LED so it's easy on the eyes, and puts out a decent amount of light. Being LED, it should outlive me. Anyone trying to evenly light up a porch or gazebo this is the ticket.

Tried to capture 2 different pictures so you get a good feel for it.

d21d3d1c3ca3eb7857d38bdafe7e1152.jpg49eed67355d22d1de3026006b3e175dc.jpg

I took down a standard porch light and replaced it with this setup. The top switch controls the overhead fans. I then cut the break away tabs on the plugs so I have 2 individual plugs each one controlled separately by the 2 remaining switches.

One of the plugs is where the LED lighting is plugged into. This entire box can also be turned off by a switch inside the house.

c66e07f0db11ed584ea94f3c018f9d13.jpg

Edited by ckreef

I can't wait to see this all done.

With that said I would like suggest getting a matching kk. The deck will rock the blue really nice. I think the nebula will get lost along that beautiful wood finish.

We have discussed matching KK's. The problem is the current 19" (in LA) with blue Nebula tiles have a lot more blue in them compared to my 16.5" which has a good bit of brown and even some green.

Either way it's not going to really match. I'm not sure what would be better - a matching KK that really wasn't a match or something different that was a decent compliment to the entire porch.

There is enough cream color in the railings so a autumn color shouldn't get lost.

Either way decision is on Mrs skreef. We were looking at the choices on the Internet net today and she pointed out - none of them look the same in person, they all look better in person. I'm good with whatever she picks (within reason).

I really like the LED lights. My deck just has a typical "porch light" mounted on a brick wall. Those LEDs would work perfectly for my setup too.

They are really sweet. Comes in various different lengths. All waterproof connections and you can connect multiple strands up to 200'. They came with small clips that you install one per foot and the rope lighting pushes into the clips. Makes for a nice installation. I bought the clear white version.

I got mine mail order from Menards. Right at $36 for a 48' strand. The price is right.

Yesterday I installed the baseboards. Also ran a second set of lighting along the bottom. This is on its own switch separate from the top lighting. With just the bottom lights on you get much more subdued lighting good for the after dinner cocktail. I needed to cross what will be the door threshold so I ran the lights down the stairs then back up. This lights up the stairs really nice (a safe Bistro is a happy Bistro).

7ec996a7ff961515dde9a5ed8802b20e.jpg

9a3afc49371a05cbf7a0a9bd4ef9c618.jpg

I also went under the porch and installed a horizontal 4 x 4 (spaning the floor joists) with 2 separate block pillars on the side of the porch where the KK's will be. The 16.5 " + 19" TT + 2 adults + stand could easily be 1,000+ lbs concentrated across 3 floor joists. I didn't want to take any chances.

I have one more set of trim that needs to be cut, stained and installed. I already bought the wood so I should have that done by end of next weekend. We also need to decide on what to put down on the deck.