ckreef

Removing 19" Dome

This procedure probably applies to all the sizes.

You will need a helper, a 5mm Allen head wrench and a 14mm closed end box wrench. Both of these wrenches are supplied by Dennis with the grill. If you can get hold of a 14mm socket wrench this procedure will go a bit quicker.

Have helper open the dome just enough so you can get to the top 2 bolts securing the spring cover. Using the supplied 5mm Allen head wrench loosen (but do not remove) these 2 bolts.

d285b7931182065adf96bd549e19ae9e.jpg

Pull the spring cover back far enough so it clears the 2 bolts then lift it straight up and off.

f468da6e6c17d4c78cf4183a3958cac7.jpg

Have helper hold the dome in the completely open position. Make sure you have a capable helper because as the spring loosens and finally comes off the dome will get very heavy. Make sure they are ready for this. Using the supplied 14mm closed end box wrench (or 14mm socket wrench) completely remove the hinge spring bolt from the bottom of the spring. (this will take some turns as the bolt is 1"+ inside the spring) Once the bolt is removed from the spring have the helper gently lower the dome back down. At this point you should be able to remove the spring from the hinge.

443e74f65160e6e26eaf96f8087f094d.jpg

Remove the Cotter pin from the end of the hinge pin.

be5343c679716c367fc15bffd191adda.jpg

Gently drive/pull the hinge pin out the other side. Helper may need to wiggle the dome up and down about 1/2" to help this along.

bc4f6e9676894b94f8c7b20ba5650a51.jpg

The dome is now completely free from the base. Have one person on each side. Have a third helper open the dome just enough to get your fingers in there then lift the dome up and off. Set it down so it slightly overhangs the edge of a sturdy table so the weight of the dome is not resting on the front latch.

Well that's it. Took longer to type this then it did to actually remove the dome. Installation procedure is the same but in reverse. Be careful when setting the dome back down on the base so your fingers or more importantly the gaskets don't get crushed - LOL.

Once everything is back together you will need to adjust the spring tension by slowly adjusting the bottom spring bolt. Check for proper spring tension frequently. To much tension and the dome will fly open when you unlatch it. Too little tension and the dome will slam closed on it's own. I like my tension just enough so it's not fully auto opening and so it will stay in any position if I (or an unruly guest) lets go of the handle when sneaking a peak.

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 2

When I did my first gasket replacement, Dennis sent some spacers along with the gasket to assure proper spacing, and I was surprised at how much movement there was. It's actually very little in the grand scheme of things, but there was movement. Have you played with that yet?

Robert

When I did my first gasket replacement, Dennis sent some spacers along with the gasket to assure proper spacing, and I was surprised at how much movement there was. It's actually very little in the grand scheme of things, but there was movement. Have you played with that yet?

Robert

Haven't noticed any movement yet. Everything came off then went back on without a hitch.

My 16" only has the one inner gasket.

The 19" has the double gasket. In the spare parts kit along with the gaskets are some spacers which I assumed had to do with gasket placement.

Edited by ckreef

and Jon, just wait until you lift the lid using the hinge, oh my goodness it is shear pleasure. :)

If it wasn't for the KK dome/spring system I doubt Mrs skreef would have ever gotten into kamado cooking. It's just so easy to open and close.

Mrs skreef has opened a KJ and a BGE dome before, she wasn't fond of that experience.

Yeah, mine came with a regular L-shaped Allen wrench. See other post for my rant about what a PITA this is without this long handled wrench!!!

If you don't have the long handle Allen wrench get a ball end 5mm Allen head wrench. The ball end allows you to easily come in at an angle with the long side. You might have to use a pair of pliers to help turn the short side.

My 16.5" didn't come with the long handle Allen wrench. Fortunately I had a ball end 5mm Allen wrench in the tool box.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

When people removed their BB32 lids, AFTER REMOVING THE SPRING AND HINGE PIN, it seems to me that you would want to stick a piece of heavy plywood (padded) between the bottom and the lid.  Then use that board to lift the top and carry all 208 pounds.  By doing that it means that for 2 times there will be pressure focused on one area of the lid and the same pressure would be exerted on ones fingers wouldn't it?

I think when you rock the lid down onto the board you'll have a moving pressure point on tiles  from the back to the center on both sides until the dome sits flat. 

If it was me I would use two people per side while a 5th person works the dome up enough to get everyone's fingers under there. Then lift straight off. 

5 people, a big heavy fragile object and then move it easily somewhere to set it down.  Got it.

I have a plan that if it works will save fingers, backs and nerves.  I will photo the process :-)   I am motivated because I really don't want to have to muscle (ha, those went years ago) the base w/lid on it.

• Like 1

Here is another idea, which I am inclined to go with, especially with foam between the straps and the lid.  I can hold the big straps in place with smaller straps side to side so they will not slip off the dome.

This way I can easily roll the bottom off the pallet and then down that flight of stairs and deal with the lid once the base is in place.

Thoughts?

IMG_2723.jpeg

IMG_2724.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

That seems like a better idea. You could run 2x4's through the straps for the actual walking of dome. Would definitely want the smaller straps to make sure that larger straps don't slip. 

That is for sure!  The dome is pretty slippery. 

One of the other things that crossed my mind was that I have piano dolly's so if I screw the correct size chunk of plywood to it, then pad it, I can lower the dome onto it.  Then strap it to the dolly and roll it down the stairs/ramp to a location where the two big guys can pick it up and set it in place.  Thats the plan so far and this afternoon we will see if Murphy got invited to the party :-)

Thanks for your input on this, I am a firm believer in the idea that no information is bad information; it is the basis for creative thought.

Cheers,

Stephen

• Like 1