Poochie

Something different: boiled shrimp

Never heard of a low country boil, but I'm down here in Cajun country. The mudbugs are going to have to wait for about 3 weeks when the season opens again. I'm sure the price will be higher than a giraffe's a$$.

You may have never heard that statement before but you sure cooked a fine example. It's a southern thing (at least SE). Next time somebody asks about that cook just tell them you did a "low country boil".

You may have never heard that statement before but you sure cooked a fine example. It's a southern thing (at least SE). Next time somebody asks about that cook just tell them you did a "low country boil".

Yeah, don't be confusing it with that Yankee thing with the seaweed! 

You know how I hype the hell out of using a pressure cooker. Well it is a great device for a low country boil let me tell you that! I mean it is fun to go out back and get your big propane tank and your giant pot and do it outside for a party but it's really fast and quick and much easier with the pressure cooker.

I was out for dinner this week and had halibut with giant shrimp. I could have sworn that the shrimp was cooked in butter but the chef assured me that there was no butter involved only olive oil and spice. I thought I'd died and went to heaven and I'm not a fan of shrimp. Lucky me the person I was with didn't like shrimp so I had two of these beauties.:)

3vXsrdb.jpg

• Like 1

Doc, I would never question your methods. That said, do you have any idea what would happen to me if I ever fed anyone shrimp cooked in a pressure cooker?

Robert

I have to agree with this. I'm not even willing to try.

As for low country boil - in a pressure cooker - sounds more like a northern city boil to me.

I think you missed the idea of a low country boil - more to do with the cook than the finished product.

Does this mean escargot is nasty? And speaking of mud bugs? Come on guys don't knock it if you ain't tried it. That's like people knocking the Komodo Kamado.

We are able to do what we do because Dennis went outside the box. Some of which Doc contributed to way back in the beginning making him part of the out of the box team. Looks like he has not changed.

I acknowledged the party fun of an outdoor boil we do them once in a while.

And the work of it.

The pressure cooker is a way to knock it out for you and your spouse any day of the week you don't need to have a weekend party .

You pressure cook everything except the shrimp, after everything else is cooked (and it only takes a couple of minutes), do you then throw the shrimp in the pot shut the lid and let them cook with the residual heat for just a few minutes.

I am always trying to figure out ways to take cooks that are normally reserved for special weekends and modify them so you can have them any day of the week. Thus the notion of the hot fast brisket and the pressure cooker Lowcountry boil.

Last night I was at a dinner party and the hostess stood there for goodness knows how long cooking risotto. I did not have the heart to tell her that she could've just thrown all the ingredients in a pressure pot, pushed one button, and then grabbed her drink and head over to the fire to visit with her guests, sit down, and relax. If you have ever cooked risotto at the stove and then got an equally fabulous result by throwing it in the pressure cooker you will NEVER stand at that stove again!

I have said it here before and I will say it again, once you learn how to use a pressure cooker it will change your cooking life.

When you want to do something the long slow tiresome way for the convivial fun of the party, by all means do it. But if you just want to get some food on the table on a Tuesday night there are other ways to do it!