LarryR

Are you cooking your turkey on the grate or in a pan?

So for years I've been cooking my birds in a roasting pan (see picture below) however, I've noticed as I'm taking my breast to lower temps the underside of the bird isn't quite done, I'm thinking it might be due to my setup as the pan I use is quite substantial and I'm wondering if the bottom of the bird isn't getting the same level of temps as the top of the bird. This Thanksgiving I'm considering cooking her on the top grate (if she'll fit) with the roasting pan on the grate below catching all the goodness for my gravy. I suppose I could also use one of the aluminum foil pans that will allow the heat to come through better and then dump the drippings into my gravy pan and pick out the delicious bits.

Any thoughts and anyone do their bird just on the grate?

See how low she rides?

PostThanksgiving2011027.jpg

This year I am changing things up a little bit. Instead of cooking a whole bird it's going to be a lot easier for me to just cook two breasts and nine turkey legs. I will brine them in the Jack Daniels maple syrup brine and then cook them on the grate with a pan underneath to catch the drippings. Pecan wood will provide my smoke and I will probably run the fire about 325 or so, indirect.

Hi, Larry - glad to have you back posting. You, too, Doc!

Last year I did mine directly on the grate. Came out great. A couple of pics. 

post-975-0-74910800-1448325614_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-62665200-1448325642_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-45814800-1448325660_thumb.jpg

I'll be visiting friends this Thanksgiving, so I won't be doing the turkey. But, I might have to do one when I get back, just for the leftovers - ha, ha!!

Hi, Larry - glad to have you back posting. You, too, Doc!

Last year I did mine directly on the grate. Came out great. A couple of pics. 

Interesting, I thought the bird would be much darker, I usually foil mine at about 1:30 to make sure they don't get too dark.

Did you catch the drippings below? If you did any issues with them burning so close to the fire?

I did those birds at 350º for about 3 hours each.  No special kind of prep as they were done for the big Thanksgiving fest we had at church last Sunday.  One of the easier cooks i've done.  Got up at 5:00 AM, lit the fire in the belly of TheBeast, had TheBeast heat soaked by 7:00, had Ken thoroughly soaked with bourbon and coffee about the same time.  First tranche came off about 10:00 and the second tranche came off at about 1:00.  TheBeast held rock steady at 350º for the entire time.  I shut things down to about 200º until 6:00 pm or so and then I cranked things up to sear some NY Strips.  Still had plenty of FOGO to do another cook.  

• Like 1

Thanks. I have two ten poundish birds for Thursday, I'm gonna do roughly the same thing. Maple brining one, buttermilk brining the other, both directly on the grate.

Robert

I LOVE a maple brine.  I'm curious about that butter milk brine.  I"m looking forward to hearing about it.

Oh, BTW, I had my heat deflectors in, no smoke, and a drip pan to catch all the drippings.  It made wonderful gravy.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Interesting, I thought the bird would be much darker, I usually foil mine at about 1:30 to make sure they don't get too dark.

Did you catch the drippings below? If you did any issues with them burning so close to the fire?

Sorta, had the drip pan as a heat deflector, but didn't use the drippings in the gravy. Went "old school" and made the gravy stock from the neck bone and gizzards. 

Thanks. I have two ten poundish birds for Thursday, I'm gonna do roughly the same thing. Maple brining one, buttermilk brining the other, both directly on the grate.

Robert

Hey Robert,

I have seen Recipes for Buttermik Brined Turkey as well.  I would be interested in your take afterwards.  I would consider it for a Hanukkah Party but I don't think  that would be considered Kosher.  I guess the Maple Brine will be used for that.  Thanks.  Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

I'm debating if I should use my roasting pan with a rack, or cook my bird on the main grate with a drip pan resting on the lower grate.

What's everyone's favorite prep method, dry brining, wet brine, or injecting etc.?  I've almost always injected my birds in the past.

Gnomatic,I'm struggling with the same thing, the picture above demonstrations how I've done my bird for years. I'm considering using a thinner pan or putting her on the main grate with a drip pan underneath to catch the goodness. I also pour 750ml of water and white wine in my pan as well.

My favorite prep method is my Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup brine, in-fact that's where this years guest of honor has been since Monday morning. She'll come out tonight for a rinse and then back into fridge for an overnight air dry so we get some decent skin.

I just finished cooking 4 turkeys on the main grate.  No problems.  They turned out absolutely wonderfully.  I never even considered using a roasting pan.  I did however use a drip pan and the drippings made a wonderful gravy.

Did you put the drip pan on the lower grate? Any issues with the drippings burning due to the proximity to the firebox? I'm thinking about trying this method this year. Also, any issues with the bird getting too dark?

Sorta, had the drip pan as a heat deflector, but didn't use the drippings in the gravy. Went "old school" and made the gravy stock from the neck bone and gizzards. 

Oh, you've got to try the drippings for your gravy. I too make home-made stock but the drippings really push it over the top. On average I get about two cups of liquid from a large bird. Separate the fat and you've got pure gold, one of my nephews actually calls me the god of gravy!

• Like 1

I just smoked an 11 pounder for a trial run this past Sunday. Heat deflector in place, roasting pan sitting on deflector, turkey spatchcocked and placed on main grate.

Larry, I did your half and half wine and water in the roasting pan and lightly dusted the turkey skin with baking powder salt, and pepper.

I cooked at 325 with Apple wood and finished in a little over an hour. The bird was nice and crispy. I was amazed at how fast it cooked.

I was worried about the drippings burning. All of the liquid evaporated, but the drippings did not burn. This will definitely e my standard moving forward.

21d2f82b1f0cb13220be0590e291c345.jpg

Benton

Remember Hall's Hill charcoal? I wonder if that guy is still making it. Anyway I used his sugar maple charcoal to cook my maple syrup/ Woodford Reserve brined turkey this morning. I had the Woodford on hand so figured what the hell, I'll try it as a sub for the Jack Daniels. Nine turkey legs in a roasting pan with the little elevated grate thing, on the main grate, and then two breasts above that in the dome on the sear. I brined it for about 30 hours. It cooked indirect from 300 to 375 to an internal temp of 165º We will serve it later today and I hope it's good! Maybe a few pics if I get to it.