LarryR

Are you cooking your turkey on the grate or in a pan?

@LarryR - I cooked everything indirect, i.e. with the heat deflectors in and on top of the fire basket. Then came my drip pan resting on 5 wadded up balls of aluminum foil ... 1 at each corner and 1 in the middle of the drip pan. That creates enough air space to preserve the drippings. I did these birds at 350°, indirect, no smoke, nestled on the main grate, and over FOGO lump. I'll post pictures later.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends!

You've been missed. Stop by more often!

Midleton (yes that's the spelling) Irish whisky is likely my favorite spirit. I tried it once in Ireland and was smitten. It's a little pricey but I don't drink like a fish so I don't care. Tony was remarking on the price, it's not bourbon. It has an ethereal peachy note on the palate, it's just beyond description. If you can try it somewhere, do so. Or, just take a chance, open up your wallet, buy a bottle, and you will see!

I jumped on the Internet, ain't it grand, and found the distillery. Made by the same folks who produce Jameson. Good stuff. I just tried a shot at my local favorite bar. Smitten is a good word for the experience. I'll be hitting my liquor store tomorrow afternoon with the AmEx as I understand Midleton costs a bit more than I normally carry in my pocket … $0.15! Does anyone carry cash anymore?

Thanks, Doc!

FWIW, I’ve never roasted a whole bird of any sort directly in a pan, even in a conventional oven. I’ve always found some way to raise the bird off the bottom of the pan, whether it was with a roasting rack, on a bed of vegetables, or some improvised method (you can build some impressive structures with aluminum foil and chopsticks ^_^ ).

Likewise, the times I’ve cooked whole birds on Smaug, I’ve placed them on the main grate, with a drip pan underneath to catch drippings if needed.

Either way, I think getting the bottom of the bird exposed to the heated air gives you a better result, especially with how the skin on that part of the bird turns out. That’s one reason why rotisserie cooks with whole birds are so good.

Okay, back to the whisky talk. ^_^

Thanks for the interlude, Wilbur. We kinda hijacked this thread talking about whiskey. 

I've had a wee dram of Midleton at a whiskey tasting (I got to bring the wooden box home as a "trophy.") It was very good. Probably a better buy than the occasional splurge for a bottle of Dom. Just picked up my reserved bottle of Cedar Ridge Single Malt, finished in a Sauterne barrel. Will sample it tomorrow with my best friend who introduced me to single malt Scotch many years ago. It's their Batch #28. I collect them and have all 28 releases. So what's tossing some coin at a bottle of Midleton at this stage, right??

post-975-0-22452100-1449107069_thumb.jpg

I've run out of room on my brewing table. That's just the first 25!