dstr8

When only an afternoon affogato will do...

After owning & using just about every portable espresso maker in existence I purchased an EspressoForge 2.0 a couple years ago from Andre (Andre is the owner and designer of the EspressoForge) to mainly use as my travel/mobile/camp espresso device.   I used it plenty but purchased the current 2.1 version when he intro'd them this year.   It is an incredible espresso tool and doesn't take a back seat to even my Slayer, former Londinium LI, etc. when using the right bean along with a "real" burr grinder.  

"Right bean" you ask?   Especially at higher elevation typical of some of our campsites in the western USA where the boiling point of water can be <200 degrees F I can't pull light roasts to satisfaction using any pour over style espresso press.   But light roasts are a RPITA to hand grind anyway so I am quite happy to use medium to medium-dark roasts that yield incredible espresso that hand grind easily (typically Full City and Full City+ are the general roast levels I prefer ...).   Using Black Canyon Blend from Buena Vista Roastery (Buena Vista Colorado) I can pull literally liquid Snickers Bar espresso.   Redbird's Wote Konga is another that will leave you smiling in all things natural processed Ethiopia SO beans.

If you are on the fence and Andre still has EspressoForges available I highly suggest buying one (order it with the optional pressure gauge & stand) as his life has gotten busy and unsure if there will be another production run.    Paired with a stove top steamer like the Bellman and a suitable burr grinder you can make fantastically delicious cappuccinos & lattes in addition to espresso at home or anywhere!

Edited by dstr8

I was just about to order another 5 lb. bag of Redbird Espresso -- my old standby. Will add some Wote Konga to that and give it a try. I also like Redbird Yirgacheffe's for French Press.

Coffeegeek and Home-Barista can be a bit overwhelming -- now I know where to go if/when it's time to upgrade from the Gaggia. :thumbup:

• Like 1

^ FWIW Redbird's Wote Konga is at its peak best 4-8 days post roast.   Very sweetly pungent with floral overtones without bright citrus or undue acidity; one of our mainstays and favorites.   FWIW #2:  Now that the current owners of Redbird have had the reigns for most of this year it seems they have a handle on QC which, based upon the same beans purchased in January of this year, is much improved based upon my lots of WK.

• Like 1

Electra Microcasa, from everything I've read, is at the top of the espresso game!   I would have bought one for my mobile espresso machine but the form factor is not as conducive for bouncing around the back of a Landcruiser as the Cremina or PV Export.    Using Microcasa baskets for my Cremina :)

Edited by dstr8

On 10/29/2016 at 10:20 PM, dstr8 said:

After owning & using just about every portable espresso maker in existence I purchased an EspressoForge 2.0 a couple years ago from Andre (Andre is the owner and designer of the EspressoForge) to mainly use as my travel/mobile/camp espresso device.  

If you are on the fence and Andre still has EspressoForges available I highly suggest buying one (order it with the optional pressure gauge & stand) as his life has gotten busy and unsure if there will be another production run.   

GR8... I just bought one of 8 he had in ready stock..  Can't wait.  Thanks for the heads up and purchase tips.  I hope he makes more stands as he was out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dstr8 said:

Oh boy ... its a slippery slope :D

Now you need to get yourself a good burr grinder Dennis; of course, assuming you don't already have one.   And don't even think about asking us ... we all have too many opinions :D

I would recommend a Ceado E37s as a VERY GOOD grinder for a decent price.

1 hour ago, tony b said:

A "decent price" is $1,155.00 for a coffee grinder?? Sorta like comparing a KK to a BGE, huh! Some folks just don't get it. In this particular case, I'm one of them! Fat, dumb and happy with my $100 Capresso.

I paid less than $1K for mine but sold it to get a $2450 grinder, so the madness marches on.  It is all about the grinder more than the espresso machine.

fullsizeoutput_7c3.jpeg

IMG_2610.JPG

Just now, MacKenzie said:

Nice coffee bar. :) :smt023 :smt023

Thank you!  It is an evolving scene and I must give credit to my wife for putting up with my madness and now with the KK she it taking deeper breaths :-)

She still has kitchen left over, but I wish it was bigger but she won't let me enlarge it.  You can see the evolution of the coffee gear in the corner.

IMG_1749.JPG

fullsizeoutput_ca.jpeg

IMG_0287.JPG

1 hour ago, tony b said:

A "decent price" is $1,155.00 for a coffee grinder?? Sorta like comparing a KK to a BGE, huh! Some folks just don't get it. In this particular case, I'm one of them! Fat, dumb and happy with my $100 Capresso.

My Grandpa used to say:  "The best ... is what you like"!   Being happy with whatever ... is what its all about.