ckreef

Rak's Gyro - a Rotisserie Improvement

Let's start with Rak's Gyro.

I don't have a lot of prep pictures because I followed Rak's recipe/technique exactly except for the meat. I used 16 oz ground lamb and 12 oz 85 /15 ground bison.

92277b855e7914c22bc42aa2a7ec2017.jpg

Last night I prepared the meat. Here it is ready for 24 hours in the fridge.

8a085e596036635d98feafdde81d71da.jpg

Today I got Cassiopeia heat soaked at 380*

7bbee4eac1b5268e5f73ef1f6dc75601.jpg

Put the Gyro meat in the freezer for 60 minutes prior to loading it in the rotisserie basket.

0623ab6c03424d6d2f3a359d4bb0fb08.jpg

Cooking along with some really good smelling rotisserie smoke.

ec2f8cf4ad4257424c0fd932b8fa9d58.jpg

Ready to pull at about 60 minutes.

ff163aed1886a8fc36d137203c3f5db5.jpg

Ready to carve.

e80bca1499ac8044d4ef6d2bbac4db8e.jpg

Carved off the outer layer of bark for dinner. Served with some accompaniments including a Greek Feta cheese dressing and a homamade Tzatziki dressing that Mrs skreef made.

28bde0313227ae1fe50ce4770b6eabba.jpg

Now on to the rotisserie improvement. I was going to call it an experiment but it worked so good we'll call it an improvement.

The problem with kamado rotisseries is that so little lit lump is needed to maintain a reasonable temp. If that fire is not directly under your meat you can experience uneven browning. I have noticed this already with my limited kamado rotisserie cooks. Also any part of the meat that is not directly over burning coals that drips fat that fat is dripping into none burning lump - a situation I really don't want in my KK.

Here is my solution to that problem.

I bought a Char-Broil infrared diffuser/grate from Lowes ($30).

75dc0472ee92eef26e869aac73afb3bb.jpg

I threw away the grate and cut down the SS diffuser to fit Cassiopeia (19" KK). Note the ridges with the Mico holes. This takes the direct heat and more evenly distributes it across the width of the kamado. This also catches and burns the dripping fat just like it would if you had burning coals across the entire width.

e35dcf1db37b4ca8469f36e9f51cb9df.jpg

Tonight was a perfect example. Notice the direct fire to one side. Without the diffuser that end of the cook would have gotten more direct heat and colored up better than the far end which is basically indirect. With the diffuser the heat was distributed properly and I had even coloring across the entire meat (see pictures above)

e497bcfdc174d6827e3069901a483c3c.jpg

This diffuser was a huge improvement in rotisserie performance in a kamado.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

• Like 2

This looks good. I know Mac inspired Raks dish. I love the lamb!!!

Spinning sounds awesome

I was going to put something along the lines of Rak inspired which was MacKenzie inspired but that's getting complicated and nobody on Guru would understand. I double post almost everything. I have it down to a really quick copy and paste so I rarely change the post between the two forums.

This looks good. I know Mac inspired Raks dish. I love the lamb!!!

Spinning sounds awesome

Yes she did!  I love gyros and Mac got me thinking about it with her Donair cook. Until recently, I would never even have attempted such an audacious cook, and I now have an even better idea for when I get my rotisserie! 

That looks delicious and a small but good improvement to rotisserie cooking.

Yes just a small improvement and not strictly needed but....

After cleaning it this morning and seeing how much grease was on it I will never do another direct rotisserie cook without it. Sort of the best of both worlds. Keeps the grease out of the KK/lump (like an indirect setup) but still gives you nice direct heat.

Thank you Charles, very interesting, what did you cut the SS diffuser with?

Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel. I did use a flex shaft attachment but that wouldn't be needed. I marked it and cut through the ridges on one side then flipped it over and cut through those ridges to finish the cut. Used the cutoff wheel to debur the cut once complete. I did go through about 3 cutoff wheels in the process but they are cheap for a pack of 5 or 10. Only took about 10 minutes in total.

Definitely needed to shorten it in the 19". Might fit as is in a 21" or 23".

Edited by ckreef

How do you like the small thermometers that you used on this cook?? Have looked at them before but didn't know what i would use them for.............until now!!!!!!!i

They are just marginally acceptable. They don't have a full temperature scale so you just have to read where the numbers are and go from there. One of them already got grease inside so that one might be a throw away.

I do like the small size but I'll look for a better small thermometer.

They are just marginally acceptable. They don't have a full temperature scale so you just have to read where the numbers are and go from there. One of them already got grease inside so that one might be a throw away.

I do like the small size but I'll look for a better small thermometer.

Some of us are in the Kickstarter for the wireless meat thermometer (Meater). It has rotisserie cook written all over it. Now, we just have to wait and see if they actually get built and delivered? That's the interesting part of Kickstarters. Most make it (usually significantly behind the original schedule), but some don't.

Some of us are in the Kickstarter for the wireless meat thermometer (Meater). It has rotisserie cook written all over it. Now, we just have to wait and see if they actually get built and delivered? That's the interesting part of Kickstarters. Most make it (usually significantly behind the original schedule), but some don't.

I'm part of that. I got in when they were right at $69,000.

I did finally receive my Christmas card so at least they are still alive and kicking.

Got my card today, too! Fingers crossed!

I sort of laughed when I got it in the mail. They were supposed to arrive before Christmas so you could give the card as a gift letting the recipient know they had a Meater coming in the future.

A little late for that purpose but better late than never. I feel that is what's happening with the actual units. But they will also be welcomed as better late than never.