Cookie

11 lb Sirloin Roast

Feeding a few friends tonight...will update post as I go along.

Friday Morning:  Dry brined the roast with a generous sprinkling of kosher salt, placed uncovered in fridge until rub / cook time on Saturday.

Saturday:

1 PM:  Loaded Cheech (23") up with a full basket of CocoChar; lit fist size area in center; top and bottom vents wide open for 30 minutes (set an alarm so I wouldn't forget to dial vents down).

1:30PM:  Placed heat deflector on basket handles; Tapered top vent back to a little less than 1/4 turn open;  Botttom Vent open the width of a quarter; Put in pit thermometer at grate (meat) level.  Target cook temp range 225F-240F.

3:00PM:  Smothered roast with wet rub, put back in fridge uncovered.

3:30PM:  Placed a large chunk of apple wood on the hotspot in the charcoal basket.

4:00PM:  Drip / Gravy Pan placed below main grate; Roast on main grate (so long that I didn't like it so close to the dome walls on the upper), estimated 3.5 - 4 hr cook.

More photos / updates to come...after a nap...and a beverage.

post-522-0-62634000-1452324502_thumb.jpg

post-522-0-69064700-1452324523_thumb.jpg

post-522-0-20302700-1452328881_thumb.jpg

I had two probes in...one in the meat, one monitoring temp at grate level. One was running through the hole. I like running the wire through the rubber piece, too tight if you do it that way with two wires, at least with mine.

IT ended up being my biggest cook failure ever. Nothing to do with the KK. It came off at 115 internal, was perfect. I wrapped it in foil, then towels as it finished a little early. When guests arrived, I put my 6 burner gasser on full blast and had it up over 700F for a reverse sear just prior to serving. Then it got interesting...

One side of the roast had a small layer of fat. When the roast hit the grates, the entire layer of fat ignited immediately and I could not get it out. Shut down gas and closed lid, But it was very windy and air was blowing in and fanning it. Ended up raging to the point that I thought it was going to do serious damage to the BBQ so I had to use a fire extinguisher and the roast was toast....literally.

Epic fail. Ego a little bruised today.

Sorry about your epic failure but we've all had them. Sucks when there is guests involved. No worries just invite them over for a redue. If they don't want to come I'll show up to try the redue. I have what I consider a failure weekly. It's all a learning curve.

But I do think you learned. Next time forget the gasser. KK would have been more controllable.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

I think I also learned that with an 11lb hunk of meat, I should have done the reverse sear immediately, not after the hold. It would have lost some bite in the bark, but the way I did it, it sweat a bit and the entire surface was coated in fat juice. When it ignited, I couldn't just grab it with tongs and move it around like a steak. It was too big.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.