DennisLinkletter

Understanding Temp Control in a KK

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I'm still amazed at how intuative this thing is and at how much I can close my vents but like Dennis said airflow even a whisper can get you where you want to be

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

It's funny, if someone asked me my vent settings to get a certain temperature, I would have no idea. A little bit here, a little bit there.... but it always lands right around where I want it to. I'm not one that worries too much about 50-75 degrees either way of my temperature. Somehow, the KK always seems to know what I want. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's probably one of the hardest things for new folks to adapt to - not fretting exact temperatures! Cardinal Rule #1 - Don't chase the temperatures! Like others have said +/- 50F dome temperature is nothing to sweat about on just about all cooks. Constant fiddling with the vents to hit an exact temperature is just wasted effort and overly frustrating. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

like Dennis said airflow even a whisper can get you where you want to be

Drives my son crazy! He has an off-set and just tears through the fuel to cook anything. I lite a baseball size spot of charcoal and after heat soaking I'll have the bottom vent maybe a 1/16" open, and the top vent about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn and hold a rock-steady 215 - 225 all day and into the next if need be. Want to raise the temp 25 - 50 degrees? no problem, just open the bottom vent a bit more. He has to add fuel every couple of hours. I say, look, holds a steady temp and uses minimum fuel...how simple is that?!! I can't repeat here what he says back.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Very good thread.  I've got 300-600 degrees down for short to medium time cooks, but I'd like some advice for a pork shoulder 15 hour cook at 225 degrees.  Specifically, since it'll be an overnight cook and I don't want to have to add charcoal every couple hours, how much charcoal is needed and should it be layered with unlit charcoal?  What vent configuration is optimal?  I have a dual lower vent 32BB.  Thanks.

I just started cooking with my KK so I’ll let the more seasoned owners chime in. The only advice I can give u is get an alarm to keep an eye on grill temp. My first long low and slow cook my fire died. I’m not sure why but I’m guessing I had to many small pieces of charcoal.   I’m cooking a brisket now it’s been on for about 5 hours. So far so good fire is going strong.  

47 minutes ago, zich6 said:

Very good thread.  I've got 300-600 degrees down for short to medium time cooks, but I'd like some advice for a pork shoulder 15 hour cook at 225 degrees.  Specifically, since it'll be an overnight cook and I don't want to have to add charcoal every couple hours, how much charcoal is needed and should it be layered with unlit charcoal?  What vent configuration is optimal?  I have a dual lower vent 32BB.  Thanks.

Full basket. Always use a full basket even though you won’t burn that much. Light a single spot. Set the top damper less than 1/4 turn. Bottom left at about 30 degrees, bottom right closed. Let it come to temp and stabilize (heat soak) for at least an hour, adjusting the top to dial the temp. 

I should add...with the 32, I do many of my low and slows with the basket splitter at 50%, but with that open side full and lit in one spot. I use the half main on the indirect (opposite) side for the meat.

In this pic, I actually used 1/4 basket of coals for a 4 hour rib cook. Barely burned any.

0137726C-2490-483F-8009-61D52D281C20.thumb.jpeg.fcc4722468d0df908c22701969c7f273.jpeg

It's a Question of balance. Your KK with it's refractory liner contains the heat from the fuel within it's core and minimises the heat loss to it's outer core. This extra layer adds a little time to your start so, if your planning to start at the same time as a single layer kamado with your KK  remember the added layer.  Give yourself a little more time and find the balance between airflow, chunk size and patience

I see in Pequod's picture that he's using CocoChar, which is a very long lasting charcoal with a high heat content - doesn't take much to maintain temperature once the KK is heat soaked. If you're using a good quality lump (i.e., NOT Cowboy), then the same advice holds, fill'er up! You'll use a bit more charcoal than the Coco, but maybe 1/3 basket over this cook? Use the largest pieces on the bottom and medium/smalls on the top of the pile to promote airflow. Light a small (tennis ball sized) spot in the middle, top vent just barely off the seat, bottom vent a 1/4 on the half moon side initially until heat soaked, then you can close it and switch to the right side dial with a medium sized hole. 

• Like 1

I got a question about the Cyber Q fan.  Why is the a slider inside of the fan?  I know its suppose to control  air flow but isn’t the fan a variable speed fan??  How do u guys use it meaning do u leave it wide open or half way open?  

Edited by Alohapiggy

It's used to accommodate the size of the smoker.  I use it wide open.

7 minutes ago, Alohapiggy said:

I got a question about the Cyber Q fan.  Why is the a slider inside of the fan?  I know its suppose to control  air flow but isn’t the fan a variable speed fan??  How to u guys use it meaning do u leave it wide open or half way open?  

2 hours ago, Alohapiggy said:

I got a question about the Cyber Q fan.  Why is the a slider inside of the fan?  I know its suppose to control  air flow but isn’t the fan a variable speed fan??  How do u guys use it meaning do u leave it wide open or half way open?  

It is not a variable speed fan. Consider the fan damper your bottom vent. Like @zich6 said you match that to the size smoker/kamado you have. My kamados are on the small size (19" KK table top and Primo Oval Jr). I set the fan damper to 1/2 Open. On the Oval Jr the top Smokeware Chimney Cap is set to 1/4 Open. 

Check this out. This is in my Primo Oval Jr using B&B Oak lump and CyberQ set to 250*. I fired the lump up at 3:10 pm yesterday. I let it come to temp for 1 hour  (4:10 pm yesterday) then started counting the hours. At this point we're just shy of 24 hours. I'm very impressed with this B&B Oak lump. 

This was just a test of the lump with no food in the kamado. Going to let it keep going until the lump runs out. 

292741029_BampBOakL-n-S-ShareMyCook.thumb.jpg.faaf275c3cf5fcbad0325b55a70f2be2.jpg