churchi

KK 32" - First Pork Shoulder Questions

"One thing i have noticed is the gas port on the right hand side, looks a little loose (not a snug fit) on one of the corners. Once it cools down ill see if there is some ash that has gotten caught in the corners"

This is very possible!! If ash fell in then it may impact the seal.  I too had this once and cleaned it out.  

When I light the 32" I would light in two spots thinking that was good.  But that always caused super hot temps.  

My last go around I lit in 1 spot only, directly in the middle of the basket.  

I also only opened the top a half turn and the bottom was open a 1/4.  

I remember calling robert and telling him that I think I was going to overshoot the temp again, and he said dial it right back.  

I had the bottom opened a sliver and the top was barely open.  I hit 225 and staid there forever!!!!!

Tinker with it and see.  

Smoke test it, throw in some wood chunks get the smoke going good, and then close the bottom and top vent.  Look to see where the smoke is coming from.  If there is a leak that will show it.

Sounds like the dome is good so may not be leaking there.   The only other place will be the gas port or the front damper

Hi All,

Well just an update from the party last night. The meat was run and done in the komodo by around midday. SO wrapped it up and put it in the esky in some towels. I thought there may be some juice come out of it when i left it in there, but nah it was pretty dry.

Pulled it around 7pm and it was still screaming hot! its the first time i have put meat in an esky and wow, i couldn't believe how long it held its temp for. 

It was not too bad to be honest. The one i cooked earlier in the week was better but when you got to the middle of the shoulder it was really nice. I did notice the extra 100F that i cooked this shoulder at, and i much prefer keeping it under 300 if i can.

The guests all loved it with all of it going. So that was a big win, i can be critical cause i know what good pulled pork tastes like, however over here in AU there are still quite a number of people who have not really had the low and slow over charcoal. Its usually in a crock pot or slow electric cooker.

SO the comments were really positive.

I think a few things i learnt from this cook:

1. Obviously keep the cook around the 275F mark

2. Maybe not the whole shoulder with the bone in next time. I think just a few pork scotch fillets (neck) would be nicer. thoughts?

3. Light less charcoal for these low and slow cooks

So anyways i had a quick chat with Dennis late last night. He mentioned that i may have been lighting too much charcoal as well. So i walked him through what i did and he said right away thats enough for a 350F fire, and thats exactly what i had. So he recommended testing today to see if i can get the temp to sit around the 250F mark. 

So today was spent playing around with the lighting of the Komodo and getting it up to temp slowly. Good news is i have now mastered it and i have it sitting at 250F for the past 2-3 hours. Its just running along and holding a solid 250F which is what i was shooting for. So i should be prepared for next time.

Just an FYI, that was without using the looft lighter this time. Just a few wet cotton buds soaked in metho, lit them in the middle of the basket and closed the lid. I cant even see the burning charcoal at the moment as it must be burning through the middle of the charcoal stack. Either way i am happy :)

So another thing i learnt from this cook is i thought that even though i lit so much charcoal in my basket, i assumed that since i restricted airflow on the top and bottom dampers, that doesnt really matter if i have lit too much charcoal in the first place. So i assumed i needed a big fire going, then can shut off the vents almost all the way and it would settle down, but no this is not the case. Hard lesson learnt :)

Anyways, until next time. Thanks again for all of your help and support on this cook. Ill be back at it over the next few days.

If didnt get up so late this morning, id have some beef ribs on for dinner. Just didnt get there.

It was not too bad to be honest. The one i cooked earlier in the week was better but when you got to the middle of the shoulder it was really nice. I did notice the extra 100F that i cooked this shoulder at, and i much prefer keeping it under 300 if i can.

The guests all loved it with all of it going. So that was a big win, i can be critical cause i know what good pulled pork tastes like, however over here in AU there are still quite a number of people who have not really had the low and slow over charcoal. Its usually in a crock pot or slow electric cooker.

SO the comments were really positive.

I do woodworking as a hobby. One affliction that affects almost all woodworkers is that when you show people what you built, you immediately start pointing out all the flaws that no one would notice, while ignoring all the compliments you’re getting. I’m beginning to see that the same applies to cooking BBQ. ^_^

I think a few things i learnt from this cook:

1. Obviously keep the cook around the 275F mark

2. Maybe not the whole shoulder with the bone in next time. I think just a few pork scotch fillets (neck) would be nicer. thoughts?

3. Light less charcoal for these low and slow cooks

So anyways i had a quick chat with Dennis late last night. He mentioned that i may have been lighting too much charcoal as well. So i walked him through what i did and he said right away thats enough for a 350F fire, and thats exactly what i had. So he recommended testing today to see if i can get the temp to sit around the 250F mark.

So today was spent playing around with the lighting of the Komodo and getting it up to temp slowly. Good news is i have now mastered it and i have it sitting at 250F for the past 2-3 hours. Its just running along and holding a solid 250F which is what i was shooting for. So i should be prepared for next time.

Just an FYI, that was without using the looft lighter this time. Just a few wet cotton buds soaked in metho, lit them in the middle of the basket and closed the lid. I cant even see the burning charcoal at the moment as it must be burning through the middle of the charcoal stack. Either way i am happy :)

So another thing i learnt from this cook is i thought that even though i lit so much charcoal in my basket, i assumed that since i restricted airflow on the top and bottom dampers, that doesnt really matter if i have lit too much charcoal in the first place. So i assumed i needed a big fire going, then can shut off the vents almost all the way and it would settle down, but no this is not the case. Hard lesson learnt :)

In my experience, the KK is so efficient that it’s hard, if not impossible, to snuff out a fire just by closing down the vents once it’s been established, which is why the amount of lit charcoal you start with is important. I generally start the charcoal with a weed burner attached to a propane tank, which sounds like a lot, but I only hit the charcoal with the flame for only about 15 seconds or so. My goal for a low and slow is to have a 1-2 pieces of lump lit, and just glowing red around one of the corners of the pieces. I’m sure using starters or cotton balls would be more precise, but it works for me.

The times I’ve found my temps overshooting by a significant amount, I’ll just shut down the vents completely. That’s the only way I’ve been able to back temperatures down, and even then it’s difficult. For low and slows, if I’m over by 25 degrees or so, adjusting the vents helps, but more than that, closing the vents completely is the only way I’ve found to bring the temperature down.

Having said that, once you figure out what vent settings work for you, you will get very repeatable results. CC doesn’t seem to be posting much lately, but if he was around, he would say to spend an afternoon with your grill, and start a fire as if you were doing a low and slow, trying to stabilize at the lowest temperature you can (200ºF for example). Then write down your settings. Open the vents a little, and see where the thermometer goes. After 15-30 minutes, write down the new temp and your vent settings. Keep going, trying to hit 25ºF intervals. After you finish doing this, you’ll have a good reference for future cooks.

Like I have said before. I consider myself a knowledgeable person when it comes to vent settings from trial And error on various cookers.

Switching to the KK was a smooth transition and I was so impressed with the responsiveness of the dampers. KK is like a fine Swiss watch, it has the perfect dials.

With all that said....

It amazes me just how sensitive the KK is. I mean that it in a great way. You can literally make 1 degree changes with the slightest movement. Also the air flow design is so perfect that all my previous knowledge and experience doesn't really apply anymore. The KK uses so little air that you really need to learn to dial the dampers back.

Robert would constantly say dial it back dial it back... I kept thinking this thing is going to snuff itself out and it never did.

The 32"...... Now this puppy took sometime for me to get the hang of. I have never worried about what I did to start the fire. This thing is a stud and can go from 0-350 quicker than most Jr size Kamado's. That is one heck of an accomplishment for something of that size.

Wilburpan^^^ says the best advice that any new KK owner should follow. Next to the burn on stage this is the most important step. Play with the dampers and learn what settings get you to where you need to be.

I can replicate 350-400 with my eyes closed now and getting better with 225-275.

This is a fantastic thread. Congrats Churchi on your cook and experience. What great input from everyone. I love this forum.

So I am doing a 7lb Pork shoulder tomorrow. It is in the apple cider as I type.
I am trying this recipe "http://allrecipes.com/recipe/236104/bobs-pulled-pork-on-a-smoker/" but have a couple questions.

I am thinking of trying 225 as the temp and am also wondering if anyone has used the double drip pan to hold some juice for the duration of the cook. Knowing this guy writing that recipe likely was using a bullet style cooker, I get his use of it. I am thinking of giving it a go unless someone says NO.. .don't do that... lol

So the same setup I think only on a 21" supreme.
full basket of Char with some apple wood chunks.
deflector stone
lower grate
double drip pan (with apple cider)
top grate with the shoulder in the center with a probe.

Thinking about 10 hours or so.

Thoughts folks?

__
Rick

At 225° I doubt it'll be done in 10 hrs. Pork in particular is very unpredictable time wise, especially at the lower temps. It's generally best to not think in terms of time, just, it's done when it's done.

Your drippings might burn, I usually just cook pork in the pan itself, it works fine.

As for the rest of the plan, looks great, and, as always, pics!!

Rob

Congrats, Rick. 

If you are putting the cider in the pan to help with moisture retention, no need. At that low a temp, no concerns with drying it out. And Robert is spot on about cooking to temp and not time on a pork shoulder, especially if it is has a bone. 

OK, so it went well. We used a small 6+ lb shoulder, that was covered and refrigerated in a lidded pot for 12 hours with the apple juice and a little rub mixed in mixture.

I left the cap on, rubbed the shoulder and canola oiled the cap.

Set the KK to a solid 250, with the basket full, the diffuser stone in place, the lower grate in place with the double pan filled about 2/3rds of the way with the juice from the soak. With the top grate in place, on goes the shoulder with the cap side up.

12 hours almost to the minute it ran. The KK was opened 3 times about hours 8, 9 & 10 to spritz the meat with some apple juice.

I had a nice long stall at about 160 for 2 straight hours which can make anyone nervous, but it powered through and finished about 10pm. I pulled it at 195 and wrapped in foil for 25 minutes before shredding. It boned and capped clean.

I actually meant to serve with the home made BBQ sauce, baked beans and coleslaw all of which we made at about hour 4... lol.. .. but alas it got late and went to bed with only a quick tasting. YUMMMM!

Here is the meat...

Maybe tonight I will take a few plated pics.
Rick

2016-04-02 21.18.56.jpg

2016-04-02 21.18.47.jpg

2016-04-02 21.10.53.jpg

2016-04-02 21.10.49.jpg

• Like 1

Really nice!

Here’s one thing to consider trying for your next pulled pork. Prep your pork butt however you want, stick it in your KK, indirect, at 225-250ºF, and just leave it until it’s done. I usually shoot for an IT of 195ºF, and then probe it for tenderness. I’ll take the pork butt out when it’s tender all over, and pull the meat right away.

I think you’ll be surprised how good pulled pork will come out on a KK without wrapping, spritzing, or any other maneuvers.

This isn’t to discourage you from spritzing to add flavors, but a lot of the things people do to retain moisture aren’t really necessary when using a KK grill. So maybe that will save you some effort in the future in regards to wrapping, etc.

• Like 2

That pulled pork looks wonderful, Rick. Later this summer, I need to cook 2 pork butts for a fundraiser, and seeing how you did it, along with the comments of others, should really help. Thanks for posting, and the great pictures.