DennisLinkletter

Sneek Peak KK Cold Smoker accessory

8 hours ago, bosco said:

cold smoking salmon, sausage, cheese etc.  smoking without generating heat that would cook the food or for cheese melt it.  It is a great technique for adding smoke flavour to something

Well that makes sense now so this just adds smoke got it thanks for explaining. 

Never added smoke to cheese but that sounds interesting 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CeramicChef said:

@DennisLinkletter - how soon and how much?:)

Do you charge it with pellets, chips?

I'm in the process of buying the adjustable air pumps from a wholesaler.  When I get that I'll have a price.
I have 50 pieces arriving later this month.
I used chips but pellets will work fine I'm sure.

• Like 1

This is a fantastic project. I'm in.

Is there any chance of integrating this with a controller such as the BBQ Guru? Be both the smoke source and the fan for a 210 F low & slow cook?

Easiest would be wiring that was plug compatible with the BBQ Guru fan port. And no matter how you set it up, some of us will figure out how to set up a relay so the Guru controls it despite your best intentions!

6 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

As you know, Bosco, I'm up for that and the straight rod and fingers (LOL) for the rotisserie. :) 

@DennisLinkletter awesome mate. I am in for one of these too.

Also @MacKenzie im with you on this with the straight rod attachment for the rotisserie. Cant wait to see the final product for that too.

Ill also be adding to the order the straight single piece of bar that goes into the roti motor. I had a mishap last week when i spun a few chickens and as we spin the othe rway over here the loctite dissolved and the birds stopped spinning. Going to tac weld the piece this week to stop this.

• Like 1

Cheers thanks @MacKenzie. It was corrected really quickly which was nice. Thought to myself, let me see how the birds are going, went out and the bar that goes into the roti motor had unwound and the motor fell backwards on the bracket. Im like hmm that doesnt look good. Also there was a huge amount of smoke coming from the top of the KK too. Opened the lid and all 3 birds were stopped. Lucky they had only been on for like 20mins, so they were black on some parts but the cooked well through the rest of the cook. so dinner was saved :) im still amazed about a roti cook. It just gives the protein something extra with the taste than just indirect smoking. Love the taste that the charcoal imparts onto the protein on the turn. Also nice i dont have to crack out the big spit for a simple few birds.

Cant wait to add in the new cold smoker to add more to the birds on the turn.

18 hours ago, Syzygies said:

This is a fantastic project. I'm in.

Is there any chance of integrating this with a controller such as the BBQ Guru? Be both the smoke source and the fan for a 210 F low & slow cook?

Easiest would be wiring that was plug compatible with the BBQ Guru fan port. And no matter how you set it up, some of us will figure out how to set up a relay so the Guru controls it despite your best intentions!

I think if the Guru turned off the pump the smoldering wood will go out.  The air pump I'm using is 2.5 liters per minute.. not much airflow.  But it stabilizes out with the chimney cracked at just over 200º.  I have not tried to run it without the charcoal basket installed.  I'm now going to try to make a pipe from the inside of the Guru port that directs the smoke up thru the basket.. I think I'm loosing lots of smoke under the charcoal basket. I'll have to test this out but I might make a new smoker port that enters the grill above the firebox.

• Like 1