wilburpan

Thermometer calibration question

Wilbur - that's a good question!  

I would think that if the soot does indeed act as an insulator, it would not be long before temps equilibrated and a correct temp would be indicated.  I don't think soot makes for a good insulator.  

That said, I really don't rely on my dome thermometer.  I tend to use my electronic thermometers over the dome thermometer.  

There's a groove on the thermometer stem that indicates how much of the thermometer needs to be inserted for an accurate reading.  So the length from that marking to the tip is used for reading temps.  Any extra length is just for fun.  

The only cleaning mine has ever gotten is to slide it in and out a few times.  And extra crust gets knocked off by the friction on the way out and back in.  

Here's a picture of the groove, in case anyone forgot we are talking about grill thermometers here. :cool:   You can see the groove about 1/3 of the way down the stem from right to left - near where it crosses the corner of a tile.  

image.jpeg

Wilbur - thanks for your post on this.  I just remembered to check my TEL-TRUs in both Beauty! and TheBeast to see if they were coated.  Coated?  Yes, both were blacker than the Ace of Spades.  

What I didn't expect to find was this really beautiful set of structures that reminds me of the hoar frost I used to see on pine trees when I lived up in Colorado.  Absolutely a beautiful sight.  Flocked trees are a sad attempt to copy that. 

My TEL-TRUs had these beautiful black delicate crystals all over!  Without your post, I'd never have discovered that.  Thanks!

ff75f619c3e325b762051f5d176237a0.jpg I've been noticing lately that my lump looks like it's burning good but the dome gauge reckons it's not .I was preparing for a tri tip cook tonight and the tel Tru seemed to take forever to do anything so I pulled it out it was covered in crap gave it a clean and a bit of light sand paper and wow what a difference this thing just shot up in no time something I'm going to have to keep an eye on every month or so

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill