_Ed_

Smoke on the water...

So, with apologies for the terrible title of the thread, and thanks to all for their kind advice on which accessories to buy - I am so very happy to announce that my new KK is now en route from Indonesia to sunny London* Some photos below. The SS side tables in particular look stellar.

* for those of you unacquainted with London it is rarely, if ever, sunny.

IMG_0365.jpeg

IMG_0366.jpeg

• Like 1

As another owner of the Dark Autumn Nebula KK, you're going to be amazed at it when it actually arrives. I bet it will be stunning even in overcast London!! But, to give you an idea of what it looks like in the sunshine, here's a photo of mine taken shortly after I got it. Picture was taken at sunrise.

New Grill sunshine.jpg

yeah - for 6 years now. A great gateway into it, but it was really about two months ago when the sheer frustrations of some of the design flaws with the Egg began to get me back thinking of the KK again.  That gasket. The draft door not being flush with the bottom of the unit - so ash emptying a pain. The second-class fittings starting to show their age. attaching the BBQ Guru to the draft door. Above all, the sheer difficulty of getting clean smoke at anything under 275 - because of the gaps between the the fire box and the body, the fire wasn't nearly as efficient, so dirty smoke persisted. And what's the solution to all of these issues, and more? the KK. Once the tipping point was reached, no going back.

Don't get me wrong. I fully understand why the BGE is a great option for many people. But it isn't the KK. And it's the little things that will make all the difference to me. My BGE already has a home identified - a friend of mine who wants to dip his toes into the game is going to take it (he's only got a gasser right now...) so I'm excited to see what he does with it.

• Like 3

@Ed - I started off with a BGE back in thE day.  It really changed how I looked at cooking.  But, like you, I got frustrated with the niggling little details that BGE never did anything about.  The hinge is simply unforgivable.  The I went to Primo.  And then Dennis rescued me! 

You are gonna LOVE that KK headed your way.  I've had my KKs for quite some time and the nature of these KKs still amazes me.  The uncompromised excellence is stunning to me.  You're a lucky guy.  

The hinge! Don't get me started. :-) I think the lid of my BGE edges backwards about 3mm a year, so adjusting the bands every springtime - yawn. I was just out cleaning it out for a long cook tomorrow -  parents coming down, and my mother (in her 70s) has never had pulled pork, so a pork butt is going on - and every single time I do anything I'm looking forward even more to the arrival of my KK.

• Like 1

I hope your Mom likes her first taste of pulled pork!  To make it to your 70s and not have tasted pulled pork is just amazing.  Poor woman!  

@_Ed_, you're a good son.  I hope all y'all have a wonderful time together.  I'd give anything to have one more meal at my parents' table with all my siblings gathered and Mom and Dad there.  But alas …

@CeramicChef thanks! the irony is that she used to be a chef, but all classical French stuff. So bbq was never a thing, but she decided about six months ago that this was what she wanted, so my 4kg butt is rubbed and ready to go. I'll let her do a taste test between this one and the first one in the KK. I think the only flaw in the KK process is that @DennisLinkletter hasn't figured out a way to teleport them instantaneously from Bali... I mean, how difficult can it be to break the laws of physics? :-)

• Like 1

I too have a BGE, an XL, that I bought in 2009.  Like a lot of you, it sits next to the KK.  I use the table that it sits in to put the food on.  The question is, have you just given away your EGGS or did you sell them ?  The one bad thing about the BGE is one can spend as much in accessories as the EGG.  I am considering a 32" down the road and having 3 Kamados might be a bit much.  

As to you Ed,

I too have a Dark Autumn Nebula KK.  I enjoy lighting it up every time.  I have to wonder if the Queen will want to be invited for dinner.  Hopefully the time will fly by fast.

• Like 1

@EGGARY - at the time I got TheBeast, my 32" KK, I was cooking on a a Primo and had been for about 5 years.  One of the guys at my church had always admired that cooker, but Larry said until he is an empty nester, buying a Primo wasnt even an option.  He and his wife have 5 children … 4 boys and a girl.  His wife a former high school teacher, home schools their children.  As you can imagine, money is tight.  After TheBeast arrived, I spoke with Jill, the wife and found out Larry's birthday was the next week and there was a party to which I was invited.  I cleaned up the Primo spic and span, loaded it into a loaded pickup, stuck a bow on top, threw a bag of lump inside, and delivered it him.  He loves it and uses it nightly.  That Primo went to a wonderful home.

• Like 1

Well, I can't speak to which tile produces the best results on the 32" - I only ordered a 23"... :-)

Seriously though, you guys really are such good people. The subject of the forum came up when I was having my intro chat w Dennis to discuss the order, and I am 100% convinced that it was the friendly and knowledgeable people on this forum that pushed me over the edge and made me pull the trigger on the order. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all better.

• Like 4

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.