DennisLinkletter

New OTB shaped heat deflector

Time to make the heat deflector reflect the shape of the cooker..

My hypothesis is that a larger deflector gives one a larger protected area above it. This template is the same size as the top opening of the firebox.

Is this the consensus of the group or should it be one inch smaller all the way around?

post-6980-139082391204_thumb.jpgHeatDeflct.jpg[/attachment:2ttezjf6]

HeatDeflct2.jpg[/attachment:2ttezjf6]

It seems like a toss up. Even an inch smaller is going to deflect all but the most unusual burn situation. Would an inch smaller allow the heat to more easily get to the top without being forced so far around? I'd say an inch smaller - how does is look compared to the current round version. (size comparison)

As long as there is plenty of air space between the deflector and the side of the KK (about 2 inches ??? and there appears to be) I think matching it to the opening of the charcoal basket is the appropriate size. If you make it smaller then there will be direct heat, defeating the purpose of the deflector in the first place.

So, it looks good to me dude!

-=Jasen=-

Dennis... Consider making this heat deflector in 2 pieces..

I think a 2 piece heat deflector made up of a a trapezoidal piece for the back that fits flush to the cooker walls and a half moon piece that leaves ~1/2-1" gap would work. I would most likely just leave the trapezoidal piece in the back of the cooker all the time. This will serve a dual function...

First... for high temperature cooks when I want the coals hot towards the front of the grill, I find that with the top damper fully open the air wants to flow right through the back of the cooker straight to the top. The coals in the back definately get hotter. With the trapezoid in place, it would force the airflow to the front coals.

Second... for casual cooking when I need to move food off the direct heat and move it to a "warming area" the area over the trapezoid would be ideal.

Where the trapezoid and the round pieces come together I would bevel so there's less heat that escapes with both pieces in place.

What do you think?

Educate This 20+ yr Almost Former Kettle Cooker Please

Did I say it was a RED Kettle? Pictures of the soon to be retiree and new KK forthcoming upon arrival.

I am what I consider experienced using indirect heat (as much as possible) with the Weber Kettle but any and all enlightment from fellow forum members on using the deflector would be welcome.

It looks like there is such a great distance from the fire to the main grill (certainly compared to the Kettle) that a on a low / slow cook...well help me because it's not computing as I consider it and I want to do well.

Strong Bad & I thank you in advance. Let me know if I should post this on the cooking board. I can't wait for some Komodo 'Q (December Arrival Anxiously Anticipated...Dennis Even sent me a picture yesterday of it in production!)

twharton

Re: Educate This 20+ yr Almost Former Kettle Cooker Please

...Dennis Even sent me a picture yesterday of it in production!)

You are required to post that...so folks have an opportunity to make fun of the color :shock: Course, we know it's the brick oven looking color, so there's nothing bad can be said :D

What is too much heat deflection?

I have found that the original heat deflector sometimes deflects too much heat and does not allow enough heat in some instances so I vote for 1"-2" smaller.

What is too much heat deflection? Too indirect?

With the original round one I've found that the outsides of the grill are dramatically hotter than above the deflector and cook as if it was direct.. I've also not had room enough in the indirect area..

:?:?:?

heat deflector in 2 piec

I think a 2 piece heat deflector made up of a a trapezoidal piece for the back that fits flush to the cooker walls and a half moon piece that leaves ~1/2-1" gap would work. I would most likely just leave the trapezoidal piece in the back of the cooker all the time. This will serve a dual function...

What do you think?

How large should the rear section be?

Rear to center..

Re: What is too much heat deflection?

With the original round one I've found that the outsides of the grill are dramatically hotter than above the deflector and cook as if it was direct.. I've also not had room enough in the indirect area..

i've noticed both as well, dennis. with a hotter (say 450 deg) indirect cook (this is how i like to do my chicken), any pieces that get near the edge, or past the edge of the deflector catch a "convection blast" from the hot air going around the sides. i would like a little bigger heat deflector as well. and, i think a shape that matches the OTB could only help in eliminating any hot spots that might occur.

Re: What is too much heat deflection?

I have found that the original heat deflector sometimes deflects too much heat and does not allow enough heat in some instances so I vote for 1"-2" smaller.

What is too much heat deflection? Too indirect?

TC is right. I once made a massive heat deflector for my K. It was made from a slotted disc harrow disk. It sat on the rim of the base of the K and had 8 semicircular slots at its periphery. Those slots measured about 4x2" each. In other words, they permitted much much more air flow than the dampers would permit. Nonetheless, it was terribly inefficient. A whole load of charcoal that would usually last 20+ hours was gone within 5 hours.

Yep, the larger the heat deflector, the hotter the sides below the deflector will get. I've also seen that many times on my Primos, which are made to withstand the heat. FWIW, RJ apparently knows it too... since, though he marketed and sold a heat deflector that was as large as my disc harrow, blamed my heat deflector for the massive tile loss my K suffered.

Apparently my heat deflector caused massive tile loss on K's all across the country.

Asshole.

RJ apparently knows it too... since, though he marketed and sold a heat deflector that was as large as my disc harrow, he blamed my heat deflector for the massive tile loss my K suffered.

Apparently my heat deflector caused massive tile loss on K's all across the country.

Yeah, My official 15" RJ supplied heat deflector, when used on the RJ supplied lower bracket, is the RJ declared cause of all my cracks and loose tiles, too.

I will second the marked difference in efficiency when using any heat deflector. The firebox area is much hotter than the area above, certainly at roasting temps. Far shorter lump life is the result.

That said, I would prefer (and like the 2 piece idea) the largest heat shield possible without causing damage to the grill. .

Re: heat deflector in 2 piec

What do you think?

How large should the rear section be?

Rear to center..

Between 1/3~1/2 way should do. Big enough so it can sit on the coal basket "handles" without tipping backwards.

I think a 2 piece heat deflector made up of a a trapezoidal piece for the back that fits flush to the cooker walls

I am a little worried about the idea of a heat deflector resting on the rear wall? I would think that would make a much cooler spot directly above and cause the heat to soak more into the rear wall as it would have to travel around to the sides before it could move up. I like the two piece idea, but I think there should always be a gap between any exterior surface and the deflector.

-=Jasen=-

Dennis,

If you're looking for the best drip pan and heat deflector setup, you could probably learn a lot by studying the Primo Oval. In particular, look at their two piece drip pans and racks, two piece grills, and their firebox divider. I don't know how much of their system is patented but its ability to provide direct and indirect cooking at the same time and its general utility is raved about by its owners.

I'm merely relaying what I've read, I don't own the Oval.

That is what I have found too. By deflecting more heat you are slowing the temp rise, I have to admit that I cook EVERYTHING indirect so that is why I state "in some instances". It slows the process down, uses more coal and makes the firebox EXTREMELY hot. I too remember all the problems that were blamed on deflectors being too big. I think you would want to test the larger deflector before selling it. I think it has been proven to not be that much of a benefit to make it larger.