DennisLinkletter

Huh? 21" Hi-Cap now a 22 Hi-Cap?

The 19" KK grills are a bit on the small size for a primary grill for those who want the ability to do a wide range of cuts and cooks. Even a large rack of ribs need to be cut down to fit.. forget a packer but brisket.  That being said the 23" Ultimate could be a bit more than some couples need. So I set out to make a 21" that would be half way between the two. 

I got overly excited while adding features I liked.. first one was the wide firebox and basket that was inspired from the 19" Table Top.. this gives very uniform lower grate searing. I made this happen by using the proportionally too large rolling base from the 23. Then I remembered how the 17" front to back on the 19" made some cooks challenging so I made it the same 21" depth as the 23". Last was I wanted a Hi-Cap lid.. As you all know it now weights more than the 23 and costs just a tad more to build.. it's only one fat sausage smaller on one side on the main grate.  It's  redundant to market both sizes, so I've used all the metal work and lid and made a 22" Hi-Cap Table top with a HUGE lower that has the same distance from firebox to main as the standing..   This give me a large table top substitute for those who have larger built in table tops and want to upgrade to a KK.  This brings me back to what I really need.. a standing 21" Hi-Cap with hopefully with a price point of  $3500 -3600.  I think it's a real manageable number for many.  So the grills once sold as 21" are now being marketed as the 22.  This figure fairly represents the grill as if you measure it from left rear to front right like a monitor it is a full 22.5" as shown in this image.

21NOW22.jpg

• Like 2

So i am a little confused are you trying to phase out the 23 

Now on your website the price point between the 22 and the 23 are very close just over 4 k 

Now when choosing one the 23 or the 22 which one is the better of the 2 with just a .5 of an inch lol

5 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I am thrilled that I happened to luck into the original 21 inch, thanks to Dennis. The timing was perfect.:) :smt023:smt023 :drinkers:

Your grill is now marketed as a 22" Hi-Cap.. I'm going to hire a person to slowly go thru the forum and change all references to the 21 to the 22".  That way when the "real" 21 is eventually built there will not be any confusion.

4 hours ago, tony b said:

So, how many models in the stable now, Dennis??

This is the planed range, 7 grills will be carried in stock, two additional by special order.

42" Full,   32" Full,  23" Full,  22" Table Top  (22"Full by special order)  21" full  19" Table Top  (19"Full by special order)  16" Table Top  

3 hours ago, Stile88 said:

So i am a little confused are you trying to phase out the 23 

Now on your website the price point between the 22 and the 23 are very close just over 4 k 

Now when choosing one the 23 or the 22 which one is the better of the 2 with just a .5 of an inch lol

Absolutely not phasing out the 23" Ultimate.. It's my first baby and I feel the most beautiful.  Nobody ever complained about lack of volume in it's lid. When I built the 32" I wanted more above the upper room for commercial ability.. I then added the Hi-Cap design to the smaller units because they were... well smaller.  The 22" grill's body actually costs more to produce than the 23" grill's.  The lack of a rear gas door and missing lower grate standard makes the 22" price point a lil' bit less.  Neither one is "better" they are different.. The 22" is a fat sausage smaller left to right.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose the 23" for aesthetic reasons..  Designers and artists are usually infatuated with the 23" and 32". 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Your grill is now marketed as a 22" Hi-Cap.. I'm going to hire a person to slowly go thru the forum and change all references to the 21 to the 22".  That way when the "real" 21 is eventually built there will not be any confusion.

This is the planed range, 7 grills will be carried in stock, two additional by special order.

42" Full,   32" Full,  23" Full,  22" Table Top  (22"Full by special order)  21" full  19" Table Top  (19"Full by special order)  16" Table Top  

Absolutely not phasing out the 23" Ultimate.. It's my first baby and I feel the most beautiful.  Nobody ever complained about lack of volume in it's lid. When I built the 32" I wanted more above the upper room for commercial ability.. I then added the Hi-Cap design to the smaller units because they were... well smaller.  The 22" grill's body actually costs more to produce than the 23" grill's.  The lack of a rear gas door and missing lower grate standard makes the 22" price point a lil' bit less.  Neither one is "better" they are different.. The 22" is a fat sausage smaller left to right.

If I had to choose between the two I would choose the 23" for aesthetic reasons..  Designers and artists are usually infatuated with the 23" and 32". 

Well that is good to hear i would tend to go to the 23 rather then 22 they are so close in price you would have to 

So you plan on adding a 21 down line plus the 42 Dennis what prices do u have in mind for the 21 and the big kahuna 42 

Thanks for clarification

Dennis - designers and artists are infatuated with the 23" and 32", huh?  

I promise you I'm neither a designer nor and artist and I really do love the look of TheBeast and so does everyone who sees him.  What I and they really love is the way he cooks!  Some of these people have kamados and they've bought into the statement that it's the cook, not the equipment.  I don't have the heart to tell them it's the equipment, TheBeast!  So, I let them think I'm a genius! :lol:

95% of the time I don't need the extra room provided by the 22" high cap, but this weekend it came in handy. I had a 9lb pork shoulder on the main grate, a second 9lb should above it on the upper grate, and a 4lb chuck roast on the upper grate. I like stacking the shoulders so that I can use a smaller drip pan, which allows better convection and burns less charcoal. The upper one also bastes the lower one.  

After a few hours I was able to put the chuck roast into a Corning dish to braise on the upper rack. The Corning lid just barely tapped the lid of the grill. I moved it a half inch closer to the center and it shut fine. 

I understand this is sort of a rare scenario, but it was nice to have the flexibility to perform this cook. I'm glad to hear the 22" will remain in the lineup as a table top and special order standing.

Edited by egmiii
Spelling
  • Like 2

I am a designer and artist and there is a cohesive look to the line. Aesthetically, all of the models have nice lines and ratios, and what make them even better is they are highly functional art. The Komodo Kamado is a superbly designed product that is a nice edition to any outdoor kitchen or patio.

• Like 1

That being said, I just sold a 22" to a guy who said he came to the site to buy a 23" like his friends but both he and his wife fell in love with the looks of the 22" and so they bought one.. I guess I like lower part of the 22" and the upper of the 23"..  NO not going to happen!  LOL

• Like 1