CeramicChef

Marinated Reverse Seared Tri-Tip

Howdy KKers!  I lost my password and have been absent here.  BUT, I have not been idle.  Here's a quick little cook from Sunday evening.

Nothing big here, just did a reverse sear on a Tri-Tip over FOGO.  I marinated it in my FoodSaver marinater.  If you don't have one, you should really check it out.  You can get one for under $20 at Amazon.  I highly recommend it.

Here are a couple of pics at the beginning and end of the cook.  I just wasn't too ambitious, but all y'all get the idea.

Beginning:

IMG_1133.jpg

Ending:

IMG_1135.jpg

So there you have it.  I took the Tri-Tip to 120F on the grates, cranked up the volume to about 475F.  TheBeast took about 10 minutes to go from 200F to 475F.  I pulled at 128F, tented on the carving board for something like 7-10 minutes and then carved and served.  Just your typical reverse sear.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

Looks fantastic. Nice colors.

I'm still on the search for a tri-tip. 

The Foodsaver marinator looks interesting. I put one in mu Amazon cart for future purchase. Thanks!

@cschaaf - when you find that Tri-Tip, you'll be wonderfully surprised.  As for that marinator, it's one of the least expensive and most used gadgets that I have.

CC, I wonder where you have been.  We need  your input.  Funny thing, I did a Tri tip on Sunday too.  I also did a Reverse Sear.  I was trying Steve Rachiln's way of doing it.  Let the Tri Tip cook to 110* at a cooking temp of 225.  Pulled the Tri Tip and covered and let it rest for 10 minutes.  Can  letit sit up to 30 minutes.  The idea is because it has been rest for a period of time the juices would/should go back into the meat.  So right after doing a Reverse Sear, just slice the meat.  I can say that idea didn't work for me.  Either I did something wrong or Steve Rachlin doesn't know what he is talking about.  I did let the Tri tip get up to 132 during the Reverse Sear.  I turned the meat every 2 minutes.  I was trying to do it Santa Maria-style.  My Tri Tip was very good and it wasn't tough.  I think cooking it medium rare to medium the Tri Tip comes out just right and I do like my meat Medium Rare to Rare.   

• Like 1

@EGGARY - I've always found that if I let my med rare cooks exceed 130, they are too done for me.  That's why I always pull at 128 and let them coast on up to about 132.  I always turn mine about every 2 minutes like you.  Gets a real nice sear on the outside and the inside is just heavenly.  Here's to your next Tri-Tip cook!

And don't forget that with a Tri Tip, hanger, skirt,  and flat iron steak you MUST cut/slice across the grain..  I've been served mis-sliced Tri Tip so many times and it becomes a jaw killer..  If after cooking you can't see the grain run a flashlight across the meat to create shadows and remember that the Tri Tip's grain changes at the bend.. I usually cut it in two there (@the bend) first and then slice the two pieces separately.

• Like 1