brett

Something seriously wrong with my 10yr old KK

I bought my KK back in May 2006 I believe, so it's bang around ten years old. It's been sitting in the same spot, out in the crappy miserable Seattle weather the whole time; taking a beating year after year. Rain, snow, hail, moss, even the occasional tree-hugger... She's cooked many Thanksgiving and Christmas Turkeys and Hams, countless smokes, sears and oodles of pizza.

It just dawned on me that something must be seriously wrong. My tiles are still intact, the damper spins open and closes perfectly, the lid hinge is still meticulously balanced. In fact it looks like and functions like I bought it yesterday. I'm so confused. Shouldn't it have died a horrible MK death by now and look like a sad naked mole rat?

Cheers to @DennisLinkletter for making one of best purchases I've ever made! 

kk.jpeg

Edited by brett
typo
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, Shuley said:

I hope in 10 years I can say the same :)

Not that I'm knocking my early grills.. I'm very proud of them. That being said, your new grill shipped this week has 10 years of development on top of this grill above..

Brett thank you for the kudos, I love to hear customers are pleased with their grills..  10 years.. yours is one of the earlier OTB grills.. Yes it looks great.. That being said, I do recommend a cover for those early "real grout" KK grills to keep water out of the insulation.  Please confirm your top latch is not welded to the handle plate and I'll send you a new CNC made latch with a bearing and paddle for your hand to press on.

• Like 2

For being 10 years old looks excellent in all the research i have ever done on kk there is not one negative to report on anything the product the service ect 

All the more reason to buy in confidence a wonderful story 

Kudos to you Dennis

I hope to get a kk soon just need those extra pennies 

"MK" = the inferior "Mexican Kamado". My friend bought one of them around the same time I bought my KK. After about 3 yrs, his tiles had fallen off and damper had rusted shut - end up giving it away. Looked something this poor one I found online:

17123904191_5e0cc0c0f6_b[1].jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Not that I'm knocking my early grills.. I'm very proud of them. That being said, your new grill shipped this week has 10 years of development on top of this grill above..

Brett thank you for the kudos, I love to hear customers are pleased with their grills..  10 years.. yours is one of the earlier OTB grills.. Yes it looks great.. That being said, I do recommend a cover for those early "real grout" KK grills to keep water out of the insulation.  Please confirm your top latch is not welded to the handle plate and I'll send you a new CNC made latch with a bearing and paddle for your hand to press on.

Does this mean my grill has shipped?????????  I am so excited, I've been hardly able to sleep. 

On 5/23/2016 at 11:06 PM, brett said:

"MK" = the inferior "Mexican Kamado". My friend bought one of them around the same time I bought my KK. After about 3 yrs, his tiles had fallen off and damper had rusted shut - end up giving it away. Looked something this poor one I found online:

We generically refer to those as POSKs. I owned one before my KK. The damper top assembly crumbled on it. 

• Like 1