MacKenzie

Sous Vide Haddock Fillets

Normally I stay as far from fish dinners as I can but after hearing how great the fish is from a guy who parks beside the road at a local gas station I thought I try it out.

Bought 1 pound of haddock fillets, raced home to look up how to cook them sous vide. 130F for 30 mins the recipe said.

Sprinkled on some granulated garlic, a little black pepper and a little cayenne which turnout to be too much.;)

Half way thru the cook the power went out, eek. Fortunately I had some water on hand so I heated it in a pot on the gas stove and was able to keep the water pretty much at 130F.

Here's my first sous vide haddock dinner.

Haddock Dinner.jpg

I wanted to get an interior shot of the fish but didn't want a cold fish dinner. The result is not such a great shot, the fish was very moist, flaky and simply wonderful. I can't believe I'm saying that.

Haddack Fillet Dinner.jpg

I just came back from town with 2 more pounds. It is now vacuum sealed and in the freezer. The truck just shows up whenever, it could be weeks before he's back, you just have to be lucky and catch him when you can.

• Like 2

Bruce, I normally just use a 5 qt stock pot for my SV cooks, which are usually small. There is a "low level" alarm and shut-off switch in the Anova, so you need a vessel that will submerge it to above that level, with extra room for evaporation. It's easier in the newer model with the adjustable height clamp. I have the older model with the fixed clamp. For a bigger cook, like beef ribs, corned beef brisket, etc. that won't fit in the stock pot, I have a bigger Cambro box and lid (which has a sliding top). Picked them up on Amazon.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001MRVN6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NQB63E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

• Like 1

I'm very happy that I might get to eat some healthy fish;) There is no crust all I did was 30 mins. @ 130F, cut the bag open and put the fish on my plate. Yes, that is some day or two old potato salad. I use  a few different containers for sous vide, mostly use an 8 L polycarbaonate container. It looks like this https://www.amazon.ca/Cambro-6SFSPP190-Polypropylene-CamSquares-Translucent/dp/B001BZEQ44/ref=pd_sim_79_7?ie=UTF8&dpID=41PBNHNpfLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR155%2C160_&refRID=CVWFFWFFA8NX29T8WJ7H but any container that will hold your circulator and the food is good.

No, don't sv the pork shoulder, cook that on the KK, for sure!

There are certain conditions that you must follow when doing SV cooking. Lots of info to read on the web. You need to follow these guides so that you do kill all the nasties in the raw food. The time and temp. you use depends upon the food, and  the thickness.  It does take some reading but well worth it. Ex. I love the look of a medium rare steak but I'm not comfortable doing it using traditionall techniques, frying pan, grill, etc. but with SV I can be sure all the nasties are gone and I can have the look and texture of med. rare. 

Because you have had others cook your food for so long I suggest you go slow, Pick something you like, do your research on how to cook it, do it, enjoy and move forward. :) I hope you have a camera and are prepared to take pixs and post them. This is a journey and an enjoyable one. Time is your friend. :)

We will be here to root for you and watch your progress.:) :smt023 :smt023

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

Looks super tasty MacKenzie!    I'll start another thread but a buddy gave me 10lbs of fresh caught Pacific Albacore.   Aside from poke, ceviche, the old standby mayo slathered and sesame coated fry I'm looking for new recipes.   I'm going to try confit style with the bellies...

Tasty fish in Nova Scotia,  go figure. 

I'm not a fish eater either but I would eat that.

@CeramicChef I think MacKenzie is currently a food stylist.  No matter how I try,  it hard to get pics anywhere close to MacKenzies  quality, it might have to be the cooking skills to.

MacK, get a nice piece of Alaskan Copper River Salmon. It's in season right now (limited season and it must be line caught). Stuff is amazing. You won't eat other salmon once you taste it. The color is a brilliant orange, not that faded out pink stuff they try and pass off as salmon in the supermarkets. I've done it SV, with a lemon slice, a little S&P and some fresh dill in the bag. Glorious!! 

• Like 1

I love fish and that is a really great looking fish meal.

I need you all to work on Mrs skreef for me. Maybe you can talk her into the SV benefits then it would be her idea - LOL

Reef's Bistro

Not sure i like food done in water... You got me hooked on the Awesome grill flavors of our KK's. Can't amaging anything better than that.. No offense McKenzie.

Mrs. Reef's Bistro

Not sure i like food done in water... You got me hooked on the Awesome grill flavors of our KK's. Can't amaging anything better than that.. No offense McKenzie.

Mrs. Reef's Bistro

She's freaking out. Come on guys and gals, work on her. I need your help - LOL

Reef's Bistro