DennisLinkletter

New Draft Door Ash Screen

Looks good. It pushes in from the outside right? Maybe a handle to pull it back out?

-=Jasen=-

Very nice, and functional, too. Looks to me like it goes in from the inside. I like that it can remain in place and not interfere with the draft door.

The downside of that: if you happen to use gas to light up........ :smt089

Looks good. It pushes in from the outside right? Maybe a handle to pull it back out?

-=Jasen=-

Very nice, and functional, too. Looks to me like it goes in from the inside. I like that it can remain in place and not interfere with the draft door.

That was why asked - if it remains in place, it would be real tough to clean out ashes or use gas burner. So I am hoping it pushes in from the outside.

-=Jasen=-

-=Jasen=-

That was why asked - if it remains in place, it would be real tough to clean out ashes or use gas burner. So I am hoping it pushes in from the outside.

-=Jasen=-[/quote:4eaxw1xl]

rorkin had speculated that it was a front load in the other thread: viewtopic.php?t=808&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 I was always thinking inside mount and when rorkin said 'tip it diagonally and insert etc.,' that's when I suggested a handle dead center on the front to facilitate pulling it out to the front once positioned.... If I install the gas, I probably won't ever have the screen in, not because I won't need it, I have had the draft door pulled out virtually every time I have used the KK so far. Time for Screen 2.0 :smt106

Yeah, this will not work for anyone with gas / low air flow combo door, unless you are completely pulling out the door. But this is great for anyone without the gas burner.

Now for what I was thinking for people with gas burner. How about making something like a drawer so it covers the bottom and bottom side sections only. Like U channel attached to the draft door at the bottom, below the slide bars. It could be made of screen, perforated metal or solid as the air still pulls in from the top. This would make it one piece instead of two for ease when you wish to dump ashes. Would be easy to make and quick to add to new doors. The only drawback is with doors already out there.

-=Jasen=-

sundayoctober2220062ga8.jpg

Oh yeah, just a suggestion to some whom might not have known. If you have a guru, you can just leave the guru fan attached with no probes in use to help get those high temp cooks up there really fast. I just thought it might help those who are removing the draft door completely trying to achieve the same end.

DJ you smell..... that's the exact design I had in my mind last night when I was trying to sleep. :smt072 Ya know what they say about great minds.... :smt115 The same thing could be done to the gas door.

Regarding the Guru - it seems a bit of a hassle to dig out the 'ru and hook it up for a few minutes use, I hope the gas option is more efficient for fast high temp apps.

DJ you smell..... that's the exact design I had in my mind last night when I was trying to sleep. :smt072 Ya know what they say about great minds.... :smt115 The same thing could be done to the gas door.

Regarding the Guru - it seems a bit of a hassle to dig out the 'ru and hook it up for a few minutes use, I hope the gas option is more efficient for fast high temp apps.

I believe the charcoal is gonna burn hotter than gas alone; but the gas can help get the charcoal there pretty quick. I like the Guru method too; a little more work, but mine is all mounted together, so it is simple to plug it into the port and plug it into the power.

Short term fix.. I place an aluminum (disposable) pan under the area by the ash door.. Add a little water.. Water holds pan down in wind and quenches the embers that fall out.

I just upped my fire insurance, the Mrs. wants to remodel the kitchen, maybe we can just get new house!! :smt096

DJ - I don't anticipate ever using gas only, I was thinking solely of the gas getting the coal hot quicker. :wink:

I think the gas option rocks if it is all working properly. I loved the one on my old grill (and it was so-so), so I am looking forward to the new one! But I will have the low air flow and gas combined and will not remove it (and I have that sweet looking valve with wood handle and SS braided hose to go on it too).

-=Jasen=-