JimBob67

Exact method for low and slow?

3 hours ago, JimBob67 said:

Plus, she really likes what I cook.

That is the key.

I pushed a bit to get the POSK. Laurie bought me the KK. (Her favorite part was talking with Dennis.)

Don't emphasize price. Try different techniques, and ask attentively what you should do the same, or different. She'll lead you.

I'm pretty much under orders to only use coconut extruded lump and my smoke pot for low & slows. And we're eagerly phasing out ordinary charcoal for high temp chicken, now that we have coffee lump. We're not affluent, but we can afford what we want, and food matters. The problem with more charcoal is finding space to store it.

• Like 1

Hi, Bruce, thanks for thinking of me, but I live in Colorado.  I have a couple boxes of the CoCo that Dennis shipped with my KK. Wish I'd thought to order more as I guess it ships pretty cheap with a cooker!

I'm going to try the CoCo on my overnight shoulder smoke over the Fourth, but I have to say that BGE worked pretty well (NO smell like Cowboy Charcoal) yesterday during my last break-in burn. (Finally no smell or bubbling, so that nightmare is behind me!)

Thanks again,

Jim

Aha! Well, I won't be using it again. Never noticed it when grilling a steak. My stent with the BGE stuff was markedly different. I could actually smell the solvent!  
By the way, has anyone used the BGE "Organic" yet? Got some just to try.

I have decided that after carefully placing the CoCo extruded in the basket, I'm going to start it with a small amount of hot charcoal from my chimney. Seems to me that the stuff underneath, as it lights, will send any small amounts of incompletely combusted vapor through the hot embers, which should eliminate that. Probably overkill, but we'll see.

Jim

@JimBob67 - +1^!  I carefully placed my first basket of Coco Char in the basket.  I got MUCH better results from my cooks when I followed Rob's advice and just banged the sticks of Coco Char against each other and let the pieces fall where they may win the basket.  Believe it or not, the fire was much easier to work with.  I use a MAPP Torch to light my lump and it works remarkably well.  Enjoy!

I guess the CoCo stuff will be better than the Cowboy lump I used. I poured that into the basket, but found the problem was the teeny pieces and dust occluded most of the airflow routes through the charcoal pile. Thus, the smoldering pile of leaves analogy. I will follow your advice.  And, I have a MAPP torch so may give that a go. I'm just paranoid about having smoldering going on.

@JimBob67 - relax!  You're cooking on a KK and you have that in your favor.  The airflow system in the KK is superior to anything else yo've ever tried.  I get great airflow whether I'm using Coco Char or FOGO.  All I do is dump my lump, shake the basket a couple of time, top it off with lump, shake again, and light it up in a single spot for low-n-slow cooks.  Cowboy Lump is pure crap compared to Coco Char.  

Well, I DID NOT get very good airflow with the Cowboy crap.  Really added a bad taste to a real nice Tri-Tip.  Having figured that out and had a good burn with BGE, I don't anticipate any problems from now on, especially with the CoCo (as long as my supply lasts).

However, "Once burned, twice cautious", and all that...

• Like 1

Lots of good charcoal out there,  so no need to settle for crap. You've seen the Naked Whiz database. I am very partial to Weekend Warrior from Wicked Good Charcoal. The FOGO that Ken (Ceramic Chef) uses is also very good (and available on Amazon Prime!) 

2 hours ago, JimBob67 said:

Well, I DID NOT get very good airflow with the Cowboy crap.  Really added a bad taste to a real nice Tri-Tip.  Having figured that out and had a good burn with BGE, I don't anticipate any problems from now on, especially with the CoCo (as long as my supply lasts).

However, "Once burned, twice cautious", and all that...

@JimBob67 - you've learned a lesson the hard way!  But then, don't we all?  I have always viewed lump as much a part of the cook as any rub, spice, etc.  I've found out the hard way that if you buy quality you get quality in return.  Life is too short to buy cheap grade meat, bad spices, cheap charcoal, and gut rot whiskey just because it's cheap!

Her is a question, when doing a low and slow do you put a pan of liquid in the KK? say water, apple juice or the like? I have been reading Franklins barbque and he says to put liquid in the smoker. I know that this is a whole different was of cooking but just curious. I haven't seen any comments about it in the forum so I'm guess it isn't necessary.  

17 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

@JimBob67 - you've learned a lesson the hard way!  But then, don't we all?  I have always viewed lump as much a part of the cook as any rub, spice, etc.  I've found out the hard way that if you buy quality you get quality in return.  Life is too short to buy cheap grade meat, bad spices, cheap charcoal, and gut rot whiskey just because it's cheap!

You got that right! Although in my neck of the woods, Cowboy Charcoal costs almost as much as BGE. Always worked OK to grill meats, but I'm certainly moving on from here.  

Jim

• Like 1