CeramicChef

Syzygies' Smoking Pot

@Syzygies - Hi Friend.  I just thought you should know I've posted your brilliant idea for the smoke pot in a few other BBQ Forums and it has been met with universal acclaim.  In fact the word that is most used is "Genius".  I've given you proper attribution and folks have asked that I tell you how much they love your invention.  It really is a game changer for them, especially those with kamados of every strip.  You're becoming quite the BBQ sensation.

I just though you should know that your little smoke pot is really changing the way more than a few look at kamados.  Thanks for sharing that jewel with us here.  

• Like 3

Exactly right, Charles.  That works best according to @Syzygies.  I drilled too many my first time out.  I now have just 3 x 1/8" holes in mine.  I love it.  

I don't speak my lid with flour paste like Syzygies, but then my lid just fits right on and very little smoke exist the lid.  I have a friend who seals his with aluminum foil tripled over.  The pot just works.  

I use a two quart Dutch oven, with three 1/8" holes drilled in the bottom.

One hole might do, but I want to hedge my bets on a hole getting blocked, and the lid blowing loose.

Similarly, not everyone feels the need to glue the lid on with flour paste. The paste reminds me of Morocco, and one really doesn't want the lid to come loose.

Asmokepotopen.jpg

Bsmokepotdetail.jpg

Csmokepotplaced.jpg

Dweedburner.jpg

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2

Heya friends!  Sorry I've been absent, I have been busy with my new job and of course quality family time :)  Its been busy and I've still been cooking lots, but just not posting.  I'm now finally trying to catch up on the forums...I forgot how much great information there is on these forums and also how much time it takes to catch up! LOL  I know I'll miss a few things, but I wanted to make sure I posted on here as I was curious about the smoking pot and after speaking with @bosco I have been convinced that buying a new CI pot and drilling holes into is the best thing for me!  I have beef ribs going on tomorrow and I'm pretty excited to see it in action. 

1 hour ago, Rak said:

Heya friends!  Sorry I've been absent, I have been busy with my new job and of course quality family time :)  Its been busy and I've still been cooking lots, but just not posting.  I'm now finally trying to catch up on the forums...I forgot how much great information there is on these forums and also how much time it takes to catch up! LOL  I know I'll miss a few things, but I wanted to make sure I posted on here as I was curious about the smoking pot and after speaking with @bosco I have been convinced that buying a new CI pot and drilling holes into is the best thing for me!  I have beef ribs going on tomorrow and I'm pretty excited to see it in action. 

Welcome back @Rak, good to have you back posting here mate.

I too am interested in this smoking pot idea. I have to give it a try. When you make yours, would you mind posting up a few pics as well. I cant wait to give this thing a try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, churchi said:

Welcome back @Rak, good to have you back posting here mate.

I too am interested in this smoking pot idea. I have to give it a try. When you make yours, would you mind posting up a few pics as well. I cant wait to give this thing a try.

I will definitely post a few pics and let you know my thoughts...I'm not really sure what to make of it all but it seems like a great way to void the warranty off a new CI pot! 

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Hi Rak, my pot is coming from Amazon this week. Guess you'll be trying yours before I get mine. Let us know how you managed.:) 

Hiya MacK :)  I'll let you know how I get along.  I think my big concern is how long to leave it on before it starts smoking and how long the smoke will run for (too much wood, too little wood).  I'll let you know!  I'm really looking forward to seeing you cook with yours!

44 minutes ago, bosco said:

I did Rak's in a parking lot of Bass Pro Shop lol.  I met up with him and brought my drill and 1/8 bit.  He was sick to his stomach it looked like while I drilled through his brand new pot

LOL its true...I had to look away!  Can't believe I bought a great CI Lodge pot to drill holes in.  Most people wouldn't understand, but luckily this support group helps! hahah

• Like 1