twharton

Cotton ball firestarters

I know people use alcohol soaked cotton balls and I remember Wayback in the day when I was a Boy Scout we would use Vaseline impregnated cotton balls. I don't know why just remembered this after 40 something years.  Do you think using one   To light the coals would mess up a cook?  I can't imagine it would. My recollection is that one Would burn about four minutes with a steady 2 to 3 inch flame and easy to start with a steel and flint in one or two strokes. Course I could always use the torch.  For some reason the last couple years I've been using those little white cubes that Weber sells & I don't know why am paying for those when there are better easier options. Thank you for indulging my morning musings. About to go make my first purchase of KBB in over 10 years in prep for Burn-in on the impending arrival of my 32 next week.

Isn't Vaseline a petroleum jelly of sorts? Wouldn't that be like burning oil inside the KK? Since the inside of a KK is a porous surface in theory it could suck up some of the oil smoke coming off the Vaseline.

I think I would stick to a cleaner source. 90% alcohol and cotton balls is nice and clean burning.

Reef's Bistro

• Like 2

I too use a torch: A pair of long neck weed burners (I kept the first after it stopped lighting; only one needs to light) with hose clamps on the neck so they perch on the KK rim and under the charcoal basked rails. Propane is fine, though MAPP gas burns hotter.

I used to use 99% rubbing alcohol. Pour a generous quantity on the charcoal, wait for it to soak in, and toss in a match. The womp will get the neighborhood dogs barking, empty every overhead power line of birds, and get new neighbors to come check if everything is ok. It also does an adequate job of starting the fire.

The fumes aren't great. Ethanol is relatively safe because it's the simplest alcohol, looking at the molecular structure. Whether burned or ingested, it breaks down into simpler compounds. Isopropyl alcohol is has a more complicated molecular structure, so breaks down into toxins when ingested. It doesn't burn as cleanly either: Instead of H20 and CO2, one gets the chemical equivalent of unwanted pennies in your pocket as change: Copious amounts of undetectable carbon monoxide. However, if you stand upwind and don't manage to off the neighbor's chickens, it all burns off cleanly and one has a fire.

Torches are easier.

• Like 1

@twharton - I think I would step back from the petroleum jelly.  I'm not a big fan of using any kind of heavy petroleum product in any of my kamados.  Ceramics are like sponges soaking up all kinds of fumes.  Now I realize that the KK is refractory, but still I don't want to go there.

I use a Benzomatic MAPP torch to light lump in both my KKs.  It only takes a 20-30  second burst and in 15 minutes I'm good to go.  

On 7/10/2016 at 4:35 PM, tony b said:

MAPP torches, all that needs to be said. 

Don't even toy with the idea of the Vaseline cotton balls in a KK - regardless of amount. Just don't! :smt018

Hey Tony - just curious if there's a specific torch model you recommend as I'm in the market to buy one currently for my new KK - thanks!

While we are waiting for Tony, I'll chime in, BernzOmatic TS4000 is the model I've been using for years without a speck of trouble. They probably have an updated model by now. Use the torch for a few seconds to get a little lump going then do as Dennis suggests, get out an old hair dryer to get a good spot going and you'll have the KK up to temp. in no time. :)