Shuley

KK baking question

So I have some questions regarding baking some special sandwich rolls in the kk. I would like to do so instead of an oven if possible. The directions have two steps that I am not sure about. One is the fact that there is a water pan you are supposed to pour boiling water into in addition to spraying. Of there are any mishaps this seems like it could damage my kk...and is it necessary since I won't have the convection\fan circulating the way it would in a conventional oven.

Additionally, the recipie says to pre heat a baking stone to 475 for 20 minutes prior to the bread going in, then lower the temp to 425. I know if my kk has been heat soaking at 475 for any length of time, dropping to 425 isn't going to happen instantaneously. Any thoughts?

From what I've read the KK holds its moisture well you may not need the water pan but if you want i don't see any problem sitting it on a rack below . As for temp you are correct but with a kamado it takes a while to heat soak so in the first 1/2 hr to 1 hr you can bring your temp back down easily this is great for searing a steak first and then finishing off .hope this helps I'm sure the resident baker will chime in with even better advice

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill♨

I will defer to MacK for her official advice since she bakes on hers, at least that's what I seem to recall reading in some of the posts here on the forum...

The instructions that you are following may be trying to simulate commercial ovens that use ceramic tiles or materials like our KK's to efficiently bake breads. Because of the high temperatures that these ovens achieve they are able to take advantage of the moisture thrown off by the dough as it bakes and use it to create a nice crust.  Spritzing water into a hot home oven if done quickly, can create the steamy environment to help acheive the desired crust.  I don't think this will be necessary on our KK's. 

I have a ceramic bread dome that allows this effect to be achieved since it preheats in a 500° oven.   When my bread dough is ready and the ceramic bread dome has achieved it's heat soak, I take it out of the oven and quickly place the bread dough into the bottom half, replace the top, and put it into the oven to bake for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes the cover is taken off and it finishes uncovered for an additional 15 minutes,  and then comes out of the oven, is removed from the ceramic baker and is placed on a cooling rack. 

I do plan on using the KK to bake bread but that is probably at least two or three weeks down the road. 

Edited by KevinD

Shuley, I have done a little bread baking in the KK but not as much as I would like. The baking stone does take some time to heat up and as you mentioned there is no way you are going to get the temp to drop in that short time frame. You could close down the vents some just after putting the bread in. Any bread I have baked has come out fine. I do the same as Kevin in my oven, use a ceramic baker and put the lid in as the oven is heating. When the bread is ready to go in I take out the cover, put the bread in and put the cover on.

Personally I would not be messing with putting water into a hot grill. Accidents do happen and I don't need to increase the odds. I have read about putting some ice cubes in a tray but never tried that.

It will be interesting to see what you do for your  cook.:)

BTW, I do use an IR thermometer to check the temp. of the baking stone.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

+11^

Dont commercial baking ovens inject steam and some lightly spritz to give the crust a certain texture?  Seems as if I've heard/read that someplace.

I think you're right...likely only old school artisan bakers have the kind of lined fired ovens I was thinking about...

• Like 1

I'm having trouble remembering the thread, but do a search as some one here did an extensive set of trials to replicate the commercial steam oven environment. I seem to recall something about chain links and a cast iron pan. I'm not a big baker, so I never went that deep into it. 

I'm having trouble remembering the thread, but do a search as some one here did an extensive set of trials to replicate the commercial steam oven environment. I seem to recall something about chain links and a cast iron pan. I'm not a big baker, so I never went that deep into it. 

I ended up spritzing heavily and forgoing the water pan. I had pretty good results.

• Like 2