DennisLinkletter

Solid Hex/Square Roti Motor Shafts in stock

22 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I'm told all the motors sold right now by OneGrill.com spin clockwise looking into the socket. This will tighten the cradle shaft. NO need for loctite.

@DennisLinkletter one cradle shaft will want to unscrew itself, regardless of the direction of spin.  Loctite will still be required one way or the other.  I've been studying mine over the last day.  @tony b please feel free to chime in on this.

Right now I have my motor set to clockwise rotation, looking into the socket.  Both shafts on the cradle are reverse threaded.  A clockwise spin from the motor's perspective will *tighten* the left side cradle shaft, but will want to *loosen* the right side cradle shaft.  Reverse the spin on the motor, and its the right side cradle shaft that gets tightened, while the left side cradle shaft will then be prone to unscrew itself.  Pick your poison.

The one piece square/hex motor shaft solves the issue of the *motor* shaft potentially unscrewing itself, but one of the cradle shafts will be still be prone to unscrewing.  Its just the nature of the beast.

• Like 1

@Gnomatic - by George, I think he's got it. 

Use the single square motor shaft and avoid the Loctite fix needed on the adjustable one. I did some playing around with my cradle and shafts. There's definitely a preferred orientation - swap ends of the basket and see if you can avoid using Loctite on the basket shafts. I was able to, but I really had to tighten down on the right side one connecting to the rotating bushing. The left end shaft that goes into the spring plate has enough circumferential play in it that it doesn't unscrew as easily as the right end does. Best advice - practice on it cold, using a 5# bag of potatoes/onions, until you're comfortable that you've got it nailed - spin it at least 15 minutes. Nothing worse than thinking you've got it fixed, only to have your next cook go south again, because it just took longer to unscrew. Not a lot of fun trying to get everything out of the KK and put back together after everything is hot!! (My 2nd attempt at a rotisserie chicken - the right hand shaft had unscrewed and driven itself so hard into the rotating bushing that I almost couldn't get the entire assembly out of the grill!)

• Like 1

At one point, I thought I had it all figured out where neither of the inside pins would unscrew, but the motor pin was still unscrewing. So I cracked open the motor and flipped it, and one of the inside pins started to unscrew. I flipped the motor back and the other inside pin started to unscrew.

I just put locktite on everything. When the cook is done, I still have to pull the motor and spin the basket in the opposite direction a few times to get the pins back in so I can pull the basket out.

Edited by cschaaf
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tony b said:

Not a lot of fun trying to get everything out of the KK and put back together after everything is hot!! (My 2nd attempt at a rotisserie chicken - the right hand shaft had unscrewed and driven itself so hard into the rotating bushing that I almost couldn't get the entire assembly out of the grill!)

That's exactly the problem I had when I first tried the roti!

So I might reverse the spin on my motor so the left side shaft would be the side that might unscrew, since it should be less prone to develop the problem from the jump .... but I probably will still use the Loctite to ensure the basket doesn't unscrew and jam itself in the cooker like before.

• Like 1